1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it moral to Kill in self-defense?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by robertguwapito, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A little off topic, but vigilante justice was mentioned. Ever wonder why in the moves, vigilantes are always hanging the wrong rustler? In times past, where we thought we knew what was right and what was wrong, we took responsiblity for justice within our community. Christians would form "vigilance committess" and address unbiblical behavior by those who "claimed" to be Christian but engaged in "sharp dealing" crooked scales, and other actives where they did not think of others as more important than themselves.

But the lefties do not want folks to govern themselves, they want to become dictatorial elitiests, and so movie and after movie, from the Ox Bow Incident to Hang Em High depict vigilence as evil.

2. Ternera

Ternera New Member

I carry a firearm for self defense, and I think it is moral to kill an attacker in case of a threat of death or a serious body harm to me or my family member.
    However. I think a three-step prevention should be applied here. My first action is to be smart and avoid situations when I can be attacked, which means following basic safety rules. It does not mean that I should not walk or bike on streets, it rather means avoiding places known for high crime rate. Seconad, in a case I am threatened, I'll try to scare an attacker away. Only if it did not work, I will shoot, indending to stop him rather than to kill him.
    As a general rule, I think victim's life is more important than the attacker's life, but even in self-defense excessive harm to the attacker should be avoided. We should not take away his chances to change his life.

3. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ternera, a very positive and responsible response. My wife and I both carried concealed for 10 years. The permit has since expired and like you, we avoid potential danger areas.

...we still have a weapon handy while traveling even without a permit. North Carolina Law permits such.

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Usually you hear the positions stated as:

Under New Covenant now, so God is love now, not War...

Problem is its same God, who still gives the State means/authority to punish wrong doing, up to capital levels!

or

What if person wen to hell, because you killed him off early?

People saved are due to grace of God, NONE have excuse nefore god!

We are to love your enemies, overcoming evil with good...

IF that was really what God meant...

Why even try to have stop Hitler by use of force?

#64 DaChaser1, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if anyone will dare to answer your question.

In a previous discussion (about a year ago when a pastor was attacked and murdered in the pulpit), a number of people here condemned the idea of a Christian carrying a handgun in church and even the idea of a Christian using violence/force to resist evil.

I asked the question about calling the police, essentially engaging someone else to use the threat of violence/force on your behalf.

Furthermore, to those who condemned the use of violence/force, I asked if the men of the congregation where the pastor was murder should be condemned for their actions in subduing the man (using violence).

As I recall, no one would touch the issue.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem with all this pacifistic nonsense. It sounds so spiritual in the abstract, but the real world is an entirely different story.

Taking another person's life, even if you must as in self-defense or in war, exacts a toll on the person who was forced to do it. It is certainly not anything to be celebrated or lifted up. But it is sometimes necessary.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes there Tom....er, AMEN.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it moral to Kill in self-defense?

Along the same line, to those who would say that there is no justification to take another life, the question: Is it moral to not defend one's family to the utmost?

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes. Exactly.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then 'we' would have greater power to condemn than God has to save.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if person wen to hell, because you killed him off early?

A person goes to Hell (actually Hades and Gehenna for those who read the Bible) because of un-belief. Now the time we are given varies for hearing the gospel, understanding the gospel, receiving the gospel and fully trusting in the gospel alone. So if a person hardens their heart such that they are unable to understand the gospel, they still could be walking around, like the first soil of Matthew 13. Also, if God hardens a person's heart, i.e. like those in Romans 11, then their opportunity to respond to the gospel is lost.

The key here is not to think a person should have more opportunity, because Hades and Gehenna are unfair, but rather Hades and Gehenna is fair for everyone, but we should work hard as ambassadors of Christ to help more people receive reconciliation offered to all.

12. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

Tell you what?

Break into my house and try to hurt my wife or 6 year old son?

I will show you some justice.

John

13. seekingthetruth

If he was trying to hurt my family then it is his fault, not mine.

Would you let him hurt your family?

John

14. seekingthetruth

Besides, if you believe most of the theology here on the BB, then you will realise that he was 'predestined' to die at that particular time.

John

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess this makes us both peacenic's.
    Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    MB

16. seekingthetruth

Would Christ want me to watch my family get killed?

John

17. seekingthetruth

I know some of you will disagree with this....

But, if i was a witness to someone trying to kill any of you, i would not have a problem with dropping your attacker in his tracks.

God wants us to be moral, not sissies.

John

PS, my pastor owns the biggest pistol in town (44 mag). me? I am a shotgun man. Cant beat a good ole 12 gauge magnum with 000 buckshot. 13, 33 cal lead balls in each shell!!!!!!

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I ask you the same question no one else has answered. If someone commits a crime against you, do you call the police who have the weapons?

Or is someone was attacking your children, you wouldn't resist them? You'd let them go?

19. seekingthetruth

Wow!!!!! Tom good point

How many gun control advovates call the police and let them do the killing for them.

Wow!!! Really good point

John

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a ripe old discussion that provides insight. While a strict Mennonite would be a complete passivist to the point of being "Consciousness Objectors" in times of war...... I personally am not.....nor would I stand idly by if I or members of my family were being threatened.