1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it ok to watch movies?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Onlybygrace, Dec 30, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no problem with watching movies. We have a Netflix account and constantly getting in movies or TV shows on DVD or Blu-ray.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing wrong with watching movies for recreation as long as those movies don't glorify sin, don't encourage you to sin, don't cause a weaker brother or sister to sin, and don't become an idol.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

TV Guardian is good, but Clearplay goes a step further. It will cut out scenes that contain nudity, sexuality, etc. It is really an entirely different level of filtering.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    which leaves just about most disney cartoons and family-themed movies.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow...so we are not to enjoy anything...any hobby, pastime, or diversion? The company of others is to be avoided?

Christ must be pre-eminent, of course; but I don't see where Jesus requires us to live an ascetic life, devoid of anything that might be deemed "enjoyable."

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is really more of a personal choice. one can't fall on the "leading of the Spirit" excuse because if we do, then that leaves the others who like movies and such as open to the interpretation that they may be unsaved, in both the eternal and timely sense.

7. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to snub anything that is Angelina Jolie.
    But, I liked Salt for some reason.
    very entertaining.
    I like Detroit 1-8-7 a lot, and Blue Bloods, and Chase and Hide in Plain Sight, and all the NCIS ones, and the CSI ones.
    Mostly TV.
    I watch them from HULU or FANCAST.
    I still get bothered when I go to the movies.
    Kinda like a hang over from when I was Bible Baptist Fellowship back in the Philippines.
    Like, the true mark of a true Christian is...druuuuummmm rrrrrrrollllllll....NO MOVIES.
    Which is why I kinda like "backslid", because I often snuck into moviehouses, especially if it was Steven Seagal or Bruce Lee.
    I'd have the right change in my pocket, rush to the ticket lady, fairly run into the moviehouse, and coming out, I would make sure there weren't a crowd in front of the lobby so I could sneak out real quick, and twice or thrice, who do you think I ran into passing by the movie house ?
    Why, my precious pastor and his wife, or a deacon.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OnlybyGrace, there are lots of things were are permitted to do in liberty as Christians. It's up to us to follow the Holy Spirit's leading to discern what is best for us.

Once, while at a ladies' conference with Elizabeth George as the speaker, I heard her say, "There are many good things we can do with our time, but we must find the BEST way to use our time." She went on to say that she used to spend her commute time listening to Christian music. Later, she progressed to listening to godly preaching tapes instead, and finally, she now uses her driving time to listen to straight scripture. For her, listening to the music was good, but listening to God's word was the best.

We have so many different choices of "good." The key is finding the "best." It may not be wrong for you to watch movies, but if the Holy Spirit is working on you, spurring you to a deeper relationship with Christ, he may be nudging you to find something different that will turn out to be the "best."

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

The Bible doesn't condemn things that have only entertainment value.

Therefore, neither should ANY mortal.

Entertainment is good. Like anything, overindulgence is bad.

But God tells us to enjoy the things he has made for us to enjoy- even alcohol!

Deuteronomy 14:26

10. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I hardly ever watch a movie or shows on TV. I just don't have that desire. I'm not saying its a sin. If a movie came out that I really felt like I should see, I would go see it. But I have not been to the movies in 8 years,,,maybe longer. If it is anything like what TV has become, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

On TV we watch home building shows and Food Network. I don't even watch sports any more. Sports have ads they bring glory to the party life, which turns me off. Again, if I'm at someones house and they are watching "the big game", I will watch it with them. But on my own, I have no desire to watch it any more.

This is coming from a guy that played basketball each day at noon, 3 morings a week, and on one or two teams playing at night. I use to LOVE B-Ball. And I played football in school. I could careless about most of it now.

Major networks seem to push S#x all the time on their shows. I just get tried of all the lusting by the stars and the glory of sin.

11. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Throughout history & in every culture, story-telling has been one of the primary sources of entertainment. Everyone loves a great story that is realistically illustrated. Movies are simply the technologically advanced form of the old story-teller.
    It is unScriptural legalism to say that any activity with entertainment value is sin. Follow that line of thinking to its logical conclusion. Where do you draw the line? Playing games with my children? the owning of pets? gluttonous church potlucks?(did I say that out loud? :eek:) eating dessert? most children's books? tinkering with an old car?

If the line is not clearly drawn in Scripture, then it is an unScriptural line.

12. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

13. idonthavetimeforthis

I would hope all of us would get behind the movies that are being made with a Christian worldview. There seems to be more being made now, of good quality & story telling, than ever before. We can rant & rave about how movies are evil, but what a wonderful way to get the Gospel out to some who will never darken the door of a church. I just saw one entitled, "WWJD" & it was very interesting & encouraging. What a wonderful impact "Fireproof", "Facing The Giants", & "Flywheel" have had - both to share the Gospel & encourage the Christian. "Letters To God" was moving & "Time Changer" was a thought-provoker. Let's be thankful that these movies ARE making it to the theaters & "new release" sections at Wal-Mart & other stores. They make good gifts to some that will never come with us to church. Praise God for those who resist the criticism (from the world & the Pharisees) & go ahead with their modern ideas to proclaim the grand old message!