1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it permissible for a Christian to wear a Lapel Pin shaped like a Cross?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Friend of God, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wear a small Cross in my Lapel. Recently, somebody told me that it was disgraceful for a Christian to wear a Cross, that it demeans the real meaning of the Cross.

I wear it as a witness of my Christian faith.

Any opinions?

Rob

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Well, we have a cross on our church, and I have no problem with it.

Now, if I showed up one morning and there were people bowing down to it in the parking lot...

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My opinion is that anyone who has nothing better to do that to watch for crosses on a lapel has enough problems of their own.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

We recently had a discussion on this. I don't know if you could find it using the search feature.

My personal opinion is that there is no problem with it. Wearing the cross may open opportunities for you to share your faith with others.

5. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Recently, somebody told me that it was disgraceful for a Christian to wear a Cross, that it demeans the real meaning of the Cross.

Where do people get these strange ideas?

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Ha! This is way too true Roger!

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

LOL - I was just thinking the same thing! My word! Let's see.......people are dying and going to hell.......I think I'm gonna go after that guy who had a cross on his shirt!

Annie

8. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I know a Baptist Pastor that has a huge problem with crosses. Every church he has pastored he got rid of every cross. Talk about a good way to divide the church. He has some other strange ideas too. But he's a good man in a lot of ways. He does love the Lord.

9. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Feelings about the 'cross'

When I see a cross I'm reminded right off what occurred there and that it was done for me! I feel humbled and thankful to be a recipient of such mercy and grace! I dont worship the cross but remember the event and that He rose from the death it caused!
    There is a wall of crosses in my home, gifts from friends, those who traveled and brought one back to me! Such a beautiful memory and thoughts of Him come from viewing this! Its a reminder, nothing more.
    Even when we take the Lord's supper, 'we do this in remembrance of Him', knowing full well, it is only a reminder! Reminders are good in their place! Its what is in the heart that God reads and knows! We should be humbled before Him, grateful, most thankful to have such grace bestowed when we are so unworthy!

10. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Sounds like someone just wants to run there mouth! How in the world would a cross be demeaning!?

I would continue to wear the pin proudly!!!

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It could be that the person thinks it's tacky to wear the symbol of so much suffering as jewelry. I do not agree with this view, but there are Christians who find wearing the cross as jewelry or decoration to be irreverent.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

This pretty much sums things up. :thumbsup:

13. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

People such as the one that Friend of God described really make me cross!

14. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yet another teaching of Herbert Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God. He considered it an idol. Hence he denied every depiction of the cross in Christianity and forbid it for members. They later moved the position of the Watchtower society that it was a crucifiction stake rather than a cross.

15. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Ben W said:

Yet another teaching of Herbert Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God. He considered it an idol.

It's not an idea that originated with Armstrong, however - either he got it from the JWs or they got it from a common source.

Both of them have their roots in 19th-century Adventism; it wouldn't surprise me to see the anti-cross taboo originate there.

Along the same lines, does anyone remember the "Tear Down the Cross" movement that flared up a couple years ago in black churches? I believe the group supporting it turned out to be a Moonification front group. Are they still troubling the church?

16. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I wonder why the question even needs to be asked. Wear it if you want to. Just don't worship it, or think that it affords some degree of holiness.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I didn't know about Armstrong and the cross. Learn something every day! :smilewinkgrin:

I know the Mormons are also anti-cross. They usually say, "If a close friend died in a car wreck, would you want to keep part of the wrecked car around?" Of course, that's not a good analogy. The cross represents the atonement -- it's not like a car wreck.

But I think we're reading more into the statement that was posted - the person thought that the lapel pin took away from the meaning of the cross by demeaning it. I think if someone feels that way, fine, but they should not think others need to feel the same way.

About the pastors leading the movement to remove crosses -- yes, it came from Rev. Moon and his band of pastors that have been seduced by his false teachings. Several churches did remove crosses. I am not sure if Moon is still onto this or not. Haven't read anything lately about it.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the cross

Why not wear it?​

Though it is offensive...​

Galatians 5:11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.​

An empty cross is the symbol of our salvation through His death burial and resurrection.​

Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.​

HankD​

#18 HankD, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  19. DMo224

DMo224 New Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing a cross of any kind (lapel pin, necklace, etc.). I even make 'em for sale. :)

I do have a little problem with crosses that depict Christ still on it. What do you think of those?

20. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Yeah, I have a problem with the crosses that depict Jesus still on them. It's like the tomb, it's empty. He is risen.