1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it permissible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mima, Jun 20, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

I believe in praying to our heavenly father in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. But I have known people who prayed to God the Father, God the son, and to God the Holy Spirit. My question is is it permissible to address our prayers to a Holy Spirit?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've heard the same thing. I think when Jesus Christ tells us EXACTLY how to pray, and it begins with "Our Father...", we should stick to that. Otherwise Christ would have said praying to Him or the Holy Spirit would be acceptable alternatives.

A good model to remember is pray to the Father, through the Holy Spirit, in the name of Jesus.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good, solid stuff!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

webdog has nailed it.

But I am curious. Can anyone think of an occasion when it is okay to pray to Jesus? I know it's done all the time, and I've even heard people call on the Holy Spirit. Just can't think of any reason to do it.

5. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AMEN!!! Preach it, Webdog:thumbs:

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We baptize in the Name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost and asking God to receive it.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Considering all Three are the same, what difference does it really make?

Now if you asked if it makes a difference which "office" you address? Yes! The Father gets first mention, the Son second, and the Holy Ghost always speaks of Jesus and is not really "last". It's just He is the executor of the Spirit, if that can be said.

8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

What about

Jesus I am a sinner ,I believe you died for my sin ,and I trust you now as my Saviour, please save me. Amen.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To an unbeliever who has not studied the biblical model of prayer, I'm sure the Lord understands. First and foremost it's the attitude of the heart that God hears, not the vocabulary.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The difference it makes is, the words came straight from Christ's mouth how to do it. To know this, and still pray the way you want to (including a so called private prayer language) is to be disobedient and snub your nose at God. Ignorance on the matter is one thing, but once one knows the correct way to pray, to not follow that is plain old disobedience and foolishness.

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Is this a prayer of sorts?