1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jan 22, 2008.

1. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I was going to refer to 1 Corinthians chapter 5. ;)

Verse 2: And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

We can't support or try to justify any sin, especially ones God has deemed an abomination.

We should mourn their deeds and seek to convert them.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

So you're suggesting they can't be saved....but what about the pastor who supports gay marriage, even if he may, or may not, think the lifestyle is wrong.

3. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I don't see how someone can be saved if they try to justify any sin.

We are to hate what God hates. Homosexuality is an abomination.
    So, we can't support them in anyway.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I guess I'm getting at the fact that there seems to be these ranked ideas that have to be affirmed. Some will completely disregard a pastor because he has tatoos, or thinks its okay to drink alcohol, or may support gay couples to be able to marry,....this is where it starts to get more people heated. Then on the way up is the authority of Scripture, females as pastors, Jesus not providing a penal substitution, but a different theory, you get the idea. If a pastor is calling on people to Jesus, but disagrees on some issues, should we respond the same way Paul did in Philippians?

By the way, I didn't mean for that list to be in any particular order. I was just typing randomly, so don't try and read into how I typed it.

5. dan e.

dan e. New Member

The difference I see with disagreements on homosexuality, and eschatology is that the former actually involves a lifestyle of sin; whereas the latter is just an idea of how you think it'll happen.

Which is why I guess I want to make the distinction that it could be a pastor that "supports" gay marriage, meaning he doesn't necessarily think it should be illegal just because he disagrees with it morally.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To say that gay marriage should be legal is in direct conflict with the notion that one thinks it is immoral. I do not buy it. And there is no comparison between this and views on eschatology.

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

1 Corinthians chapter 5

2. And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

We are to take the offenders out from among us.

6: Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?
    7: Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

If we keep them they will void our whorship.

They are like leaven and a little leaven will corrupt the whole lump.

They are to be removed, so we may be as a new lump.

11: But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

We are not to keep company with any brother that commits these deeds. We are not to eat with them.

2 Corinthians 6:14-15 (KJV)
    14: Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15: And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

Women as pastors/ Bishops.
    1 Timothy 3:2 (KJV)
    A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

8. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I don't think it is our job to try and separate the wheat from the tares.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been posted scripture says otherwise.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Then how do you understand what Jesus said in that parable?

11. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

I don't think it is our job to try and separate the wheat from the tares.

I guess some people just can't read!

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Bravo....:applause:

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Let me bring this back to someone who has a different view than you do. Do you really kick them out of your church?

So is the line drawn when the viewpoint involves an action that you personally consider sinful? (homosexuality, alcohol) But not on viewpoints such as the catholic church being a true church, eschatology?

Again, I'm not saying I agree with any of what is being discussed. I definitely think homosexuality is sinful. I'm using this as an EXAMPLE of someone holding a different view on one issue, but may still be orthodox in their understanding of saving faith.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context is the end time judgement. There is no context in that parable to speak to how we are to deal with false prophets and "tares" in the church. It just does not apply to this subject.

Now how do you get around the scriptual teaching of dismissal of unrepentent believers?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holding to a different view of eschatology is not sinnful or immoral in and of itself. Supporting homosexuality is. So the two are not legitimate comparisons.

16. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm not trying to get around anything....I know the context of the thread has swayed from having different viewpoints (which is what I'm trying to stick to) to sinful lifestyles.

I'm not saying we should leave people alone in sinful lifestyles....but where do we draw the line as far as criticising a pastor because of something we disagree with (such as the pastor in the other thread who supports gay marriage).

Mainly I'm just thinking outloud. I'm not trying to defend something specific against you guys...but am taking in your responses to what I'm saying.

Although it has been difficult, since I can't read, but somehow can miraculously write. :thumbs:

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Let's assume that the pastor who supports gay marriage also has an otherwise orthodox view of faith in Christ and salvation....would this be the type of scenario Paul was in when he spoke of those preaching with impure motives in Philippians?

Can we say...although he is dead wrong on the gay marriage issue, at least we can praise God he is telling people about Jesus?

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Criticism of Pastors should be done carefully. But supporting blatant sin needs to be dealt with. This isn't just a differing view it is sin.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He should not be supported as he is needs to be disciplined. But discipline is not about retribution or punishment. It is about restoration. It is to be done with mourning, and fear. Never with joy and fulfillment. And he should not just be forgotten but continually pursued until repentence is accomplished. Then he is to be restored into the church.

#39 Revmitchell, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2008
  20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Dan, in Philippians 1:15-18, it seems to me that we are looking at motives and not content - pure motives in preaching the Gospel verses those of selfish ambition. The message would still be correct biblically, but from an unpure (impure) heart.

Am I reading this passage correctly? That Christ is being taught is what Paul is rejoicing. If the message were erroneous, would he have rejoiced?

I still think in the scenario I mentioned above, if a pastor believes in something - like gay marriage - open marriage - pick anything that runs contrary to God's word, then we probably should take a closer look at the entire package.

I do think a lot of harm or good could happen in how we take that look though.