1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by dan e., Jan 22, 2008.

1. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Stupid question here

THis may or may not be on topic

but when the bible is referring to loving one another, is it mainly talking about other Christians, and not those who love wickedness?

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Do you not see yourself listed in the wicked category along with the homosexuals?

1 Cor 6:9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God

I am wearing expensive bike clothing. Is that not greed?

But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you Luke 6:27-28

We are to love everyone, christians and non-christians. And love our enemies.

#62 Joe, Jan 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  3. Emily25069

Emily25069 New Member

Well thank you.

I've been under different teaching on this topic at different churches.

I never meant that we werent to love everyone, just that the "one another" passages were more meant to folks in their local church bodies specifically.

4. Joe

Joe New Member

I understand....:)

5. shdavis99

shdavis99 New Member

Hi, I'm not sure how to do this. Its my first time here. I'd like to say what does love them mean. I know we dont join in with their sin. I know we would help them if they were destitute. We would pray for them to be saved and witness to them.
    Maybe if you've had a terrible rift with a family member who is a Christian we are kind to them and dont shun them even if they had evil intents toward you. And search your own heart for the same evil intent to be sure its not there or perhaps some other hidden sin. And do good toward them even if they saw that goodness as another opportunity to do evil to you.
    If my son was in Irag (he was) I would hate Osama and any one else who would raise a rifle to him and pray for their quick demise. At the same time maybe pray for his salvation? But if it comes down to a choice, I guess you could love someone the same time as you wish them dead.

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Hi shdavis

Welcome! To address your first issue and the homosexual, I will tell you how I handle that. Homosexuals are very easy for me to minister to. To me, their all the same and hold to the same traits. A great sense of humor, and are fairly emotional people. When they bond, they don't leave too quick, even if you question their lifestyle.

I feel you can spend time with them on a friends basis, yet on your turf. Find something you have in common with them. Maybe bicycling, hiking, some form of exercise is great. You are preparing them to view their bodies as temples, not to be defiled in any way.

One first needs to establish a relationship with them somehow. It's ok to enjoy them, have a good time, but ensure you are witnessing to them. Avoid any situation which can be interpreted as you accepting their sin. After they trust and feel you have their greatest interests at heart, then when the door opens, it is time to witness to them. Usually the subject arises in some form of uncomfortable situation, like they want their partner to ride with us. Or go to coffee or have us over for dinner. Then I explain why that would be wrong, sinful.

I have never had anyone react in a negative manner after being witnessed to. They always ask questions and want to remain being friends with me or whatever the relationship is even if I don't agree with their lifestyle. All have shown interest in reading the bible afterwards. I consider them a friend, and usually tell them so.

The most important thing is not to be brought to the level of their sin, or into their sin. This is where I think most people become wishy washy. It is never acceptable to spend time with them and their partner. Their partner can never be around you, so the time spent together needs to be on your turf. If that happens, you quietly excuse yourself. Homosexuals have a hard time with boundaries, and usually are shocked when I tell them mine. I must be a role model, not accepting of their sin by hanging out with both them and their partner. That would be defeating the purpose, and I could be judged for it.

Praying for them and others helps me to be more like Jesus.

When the witnessing becomes fruitless, I usually let the relationship go. There are many people in the world, so it makes no sense to spend too much time with people who are not building you up as a Christian. If it's a family member, then that is different. The relationship would stay intact. Hope that helps.

#66 Joe, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008