1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it sin to lie or kill for the right MOTIVE?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Luke, can you reply to the question about the decrees of God? There is a new thread about it so you can answer there.

In order for us to get out of this circular discussion we have to define the term and you said you were ok with me providing a definition from a good theological dictionary, I did, so you need to clarify your position according to that definition or provide your own...

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Here is Edwards and Piper. They sufficiently represent my view on the matter:

#102 Luke2427, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Your whole post to which I responded was about hypercalvinism which has NOTHING at all to do with what you and I have been discussing.

What you have been saying is that God has to abide by the commands he gives to men.

Nobody believes that but you.

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do some people have it, and others don't?

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Have what? Faith?

They don't want to submit to God? They love their sin?

Why do some people like broccoli and some don't?

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

*sigh. You really do have a comprehension deficiency don't you.

I have already qualified my post TWICE.
    It was an interesting observation I came upon.

What is it with you and continuing to mud-up the discussion by constantly REVISING my argument.

What we have been discussing, and I have already corrected you on, is NOT that God has to 'abide' by the commands He gives men.
    The commands of God toward men, are the very reflection of God's nature.

I have already proven this, unquestionably, that this is the orthodox Reformed view. YOU, my friend, stand outside it on this issue.

7. Skandelon

Well stated Allan. You are a patient man. Maybe if he can't hear it from us he will listen to his mentor quoted here:

“The commands and prohibitions of God are only significations of our duty and of his nature.” –Jonathan Edwards

Luke, in case you didn't catch that, he is saying that the command and prohibitions of God signify his nature and our duties....BOTH. Once again you contradict your own...

#107 Skandelon, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Both of you are talking past me rather than with me or even to me.

I showed you Allan's first post on this subject. He said in NO uncertain terms that God abides by his own commandments to men.

If you continue to ignore this fact you are just being dishonest.

Patience is what it takes for me to continue conversing with you when YOU are being dishonest.

Furthermore, I said EARLY in the discussion that God's commandments DO reflect his nature but ONLY in the sense that we see it by what he wants of US. NO ONE with half a theological brain has EVER argued that God must keep his own commandments to men because they reflect his nature. NO ONE.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

The scriptures do show God is bound within his own nature.

2 Tim 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: HE CANNOT DENY HIMSELF.

God cannot just do anything and that makes it right. A lie is a lie regardless of who tells it, even God. I showed you that in Luke 8:55. It is impossible for God to lie because he is Holy and True. It is his nature to always tell the truth, and he cannot deny himself.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If faith is not a choice, then the ones who have it didn't choose it. God gave it to them.

If faith is a choice, it's a work.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about.

Nobody I know denies this.

12. Skandelon