1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by IfbReformer, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't you heard that if a lady cannot do something in a modest way while wearing a dress (ie, play volleyball), then she should NOT be doing it? Of course, that's hogwash.

BTW, am starting a thread on "coulottes" and would appreciate input from you all there.

2. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

IFBReformer,

Thank you for posting the article and the review.

I believe God thinks that women can wear anything that they wish as long as they willingly do their best to dress themselves so that when people see them, they will say, "Wow! That's a Godly,pious woman!"

If a woman (and a man, actually) wears something that will make someone look at their backside, chest, crotch, bosom or some other sensual part, then they are not dressing modestly.

If a woman wears pants, then she inevitably will open the door to being immodest moreso than if she wore a dress.

[​IMG]

3. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    posted earlier by Refreshed...

My wife looks like a woman whether she is in a dress or wearing pants, and I'm sure she feels feminine no matter what she's wearing.

God Bless!!!

Adam :cool: [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After reading through the article, and the article under review, I got to thinking (and maybe this should be a new topic, I don't know)...

What are your thoughts on men wearing earings? Do you allow it in your church? Do you have an "earring usher" posted by each door ready to pull them out? :rolleyes: :D :D [​IMG] (okay, that last statement was in jest, but you get my point, i hope)

God Bless!!!

Adam :cool: [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. greek geek

greek geek New Member

if it's a requirement that women have to dress like they did in Paul's day when he wrote about women dressing modestly........then i say let the men go back to wearing robes. cause i sure do see a lot of guys showing way more than i want to see.

6. Headcoveredlady

Headcoveredlady New Member

I don't know that men need to wear robes, but I agree that some men show more than they should. :eek:

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jamal2000 said:
    I disagree, Jamal. I noticed today that most of the women in church were either in pants or in fitted dresses. I had on a fitted dress. The women in pants most probably showed less curves than those of us in dresses. My dress was mid-calf but most of the others were above the knee.

As for men with earrings.... We have many men with earrings and some youth with strangely dyed hair.... Praise the Lord, they're in church!

Diane

8. Dina

Dina New Member

First as to the question of "Is it wrong for a woman to wear pants?"

That is up to the woman and her convictions that the God gives her.

Now to earings in guys....
    I have no problem with it whatsoever. Pesonally, I find it attractive on some guys.

I also have no probelm with "stragely dyed hair"
    tattoes, more than 1 ear pearcing per ear on women, toe rings, and even belly button rings.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diana, you bring up an interesting point.
    Why would God give one woman convicitions about wearing pants and another woman he gave no such convictions?
    (You may step in anytime Dr Bob)

10. Alexandra Spears

Alexandra Spears New Member

I'm gonna beat that horse some more here. [​IMG]

My question is, exactly *who* decided pants for men and skirts for women?

I think that verse has to do with transvestites (cross-dressing).

I wear pants (because my husband likes me to) but they're pants that are feminine. Honestly, how many men do you know would wear pink or purple jeans?

I don't like 'em tight though.

I am not *entirely* convinced that women shouldn't wear pants at all.

11. Headcoveredlady

I agree that that verse has to do with transvestites. But, I believe it also has to do with cross dressing.

If you look in the back of your Bible, your concordance look up the word breeches and you will see that it was the men who wore breeches to cover their nakedness.

And if you do a search online called, "Fashion history," you will see that it was the men who wore the pants until feminism became the norm for women. I believe the two go hand in hand.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

And when you look those verses up in the bible and read the whole passage you'll find they were a piece of priests clothing, not " men's" verses women's clothing. They were given only to priests. And they were not outer wear like pants are, but were underware. So biblically breeches are not the samething as pants.

13. Headcoveredlady

Breeches were given ONLY to priests. Priests were ONLY MEN. Breeches has the same meaning as britches. Britches is an old fashioned word for pants. You can look all of these words up as you study.

14. Alexandra Spears

Alexandra Spears New Member

Heh...can you tell I'm still mixed-up about the entire thing?

15. CubeX

CubeX New Member

Why would it be a problem as long as they dress modestly and not like they belong on a street corner? Sry, it's the only basic way I could put it. [​IMG]

-CubeX

16. Headcoveredlady

Alexandra,
    I am praying for you and your husband to have clarity on this subject.

17. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I am an Baptist. I am not a legalist. I am carefully try to avoid that debate about clothing issue.

Stop and think....

During Old Testament period, and Early Church history.

There was almost NO man wear pant or jean. THere was nearly all men wore robe and dressing(long tunic) same as women does.

My point is.... WHAT IF.. suppose NO person invent pant for men long time ago to present day, is it wrong for any man to wear robe or long tunic in year 2003 A.D.??

Think about it.

BTW,

Remember the true story of Prophet Samuel anointed David to became King. Before he anoint David. He asked Jeese to brought his sons to him. Samuel did looked at them. I am sure one or two sons were very handsome and tall and very strong. Samuel was looked for to find a right man to become King.

God told him, do not look at man's appearance but LOOK INSIDE HEART.

Probably, David was very short man and ugly face?? But, David's heart was very pure close relationship to God. That why, David was chosen to became King.

I am telling you, lot of Christians who are legalists are act like as Pharisee today.

Do not surprise, never know, some women who wear pant have more close relationship with the Lord than women who wear dress. Huh??

We cannot judge people's appeal. God interesting in our hearts. God knows our hearts than all Christians do.

Tell me, is it wrong for a woman to wear pant?

Please and stop think.... last word to tell you repeat, WHAT IF NO person invent to make pant for men in the past centuries, and also present day. IS IT WRONG FOR A MAN TO WEAR ROBE OR LONG TUNIC OF PRESENT DAY??

Please think about it.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!

18. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

By the way,

I let you know, I almost never wear tie and suit while attend to church on every Sunday. But I wear casual clothing while attend to Church.

Is it sin for a man not to wear tie and suit while attend to Church on Sunday.

Look at Jesus....

When Jesus was on earth 2000 years ago. Does he wear fancy robe or long tunic??

Interesting, nearly all Christians believe Jesus wore cheap robe or white garment or dressing. I agree. Because He was a humble.

Do you think it is wrong for Jesus to wear cheap robe or white garment in his ministry 2000 years ago?

Hey! How about a man to have beard????? I am OFF THE TOPIC.

Who create men to grow beard???

Think about it.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 - Amen!