1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong to clone?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thinkingstuff, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As our technology is out pacing our morality in development I'm curious as to your views about a very near probability that at some point in the near future we will be able to clone human beings. Certainly with clones of animals; human clones will have physical problems and possible mental problems but it brings a whole lot of questions with it. Should clones have human rights or since they are formed from the genetic material of a person are they property? Will they have a soul? Since they were not born in a natural matter will Original sin be passed on the them? Do they need salvation? Would any of them be elect? Or would all be not elect? What are your views? And what do scriptures have to tell us about this?

#1 Thinkingstuff, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are already millions of clones walking around the earth today. They are called identical twins. The embryo of one original person literally clones itself. There is not another sperm nor egg and not another conception.

I don't know why synthetic cloning of a human being would be necessary. Even in natural cloning, twins, the two are completely separate human beings with separate likes, dislikes, talents, abilities, and more.

They share identical genetic information, but that's all.

So, God places a soul in the conceived twin and the cloned twin. He places souls into babies conceived in vitro and babies carried by surrogate mothers.

Animal clones and well as possible human clones do and would come from the same physical matter that naturally born organisms come from. A cell containing genetic information from a biological mother and father.

I just don't see any reason why science would want to clone a human other than to say "we did it". And that's not reason enough in my book.

Certainly, if you have prize-winning livestock, cloning may be of interest. It's just that these animals already cloned don't survive.

3. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a function of Mitosis. However its not quite the same as the egg is still fertilized by a male sperm however during Mitosis the cell division is such that twins happen. What we are talking about is taking an adult human and soley using that persons genetic material to make a copy of them. At least with identical twins you can still call that an act of God. Whereas in cloning its planned. Also, the reason maybe to have a transplant. So for instance My kidneys are failing and I can't get a donner I might be able to use my clones kidneys to prolong my life.

#3 Thinkingstuff, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2012
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

If you are waiting on your clone to donate a kidney to you, then you are going to have to wait at least 18 years for your clone to be of legal age to donate a kidney. You might just be dead by then. :tongue3:

The adult human who is hypothetically cloned is giving his genetic material (his DNA from his biological mother and father) to produce a baby like himself. The clone will still have a biological parents the same as the donor, just no conception as the original. The outcome isn't that much different than twins. Two organisms with the same biological parents - one conceived by a sperm and egg - one not.

I know that I am oversimplifying it, there is no soulless science fiction element to cloning like in Boys From Brazil and such other movies.

I'm not in favor of human cloning for any reason as I just don't see the reason for it. Maybe that's naive, but that's just me.

5. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, here we get to it. Why aren't you in favor of it? What about cloning is wrong? Also lets say the original doner isn't elect would the clone be elect? And if so why?

What if we made it a practice that for every human born we clone them and maintain these clones in a harvest facility where when the original needs a body part we can harvest it? Have the state pay for it through Obama care. :laugh:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose that the clone could be saved and the original not be saved, but like normal twins each have separate decisions to make (please no C/A interjections, please).

I don't believe in the hypothetical harvest facilities as that's treating fellow human beings as grocery store produce for lack of a better analogy. :laugh:

Gotta go, have a class coming!

7. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I personally think it is insane. I mean thousands of souls are murdered in utero every day and then on the other hand we want to "Clone"!

To me it is a mockery to the face of God.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

People should remember this when they say, "You can't put a price on a human life." Everything has its' price. Anyway, God valued Jacob over Esau.