1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is it wrong to learn Greek?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Skandelon, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I have a question for all of you who believe the KJVO bible is the only inspired version from God.

Is it wrong for an English speaking man to learn Greek?

Afterall, in Greek class we learned to interpret the orginial language of the Bible and since you all believe it has already been perfectly intepreted in the KJV bible is it wrong to take Greek in order to have a better understanding of the orginial language?

Just wondering. :confused:

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

I hope it's not wrong, since I'm on chapter 17 of Mounce's "Basics of Biblical Greek". [​IMG]

I'd like to encourage everyone who wants to learn Greek to go ahead and give it a try - it's not that hard, everyone could do this.

I have a poor memory, but with enough repetition I find that eventually everything sticks.

3. Skandelon

I loved taking Greek. I learned so much about the Bible. Things that the KJV or any English version couldn't have taught me.

That's why I was really wanting to know if KJVO believers thought that was a bad thing.

I guess they don't have an opinion on that????

4. rbrent

rbrent New Member

Skandelon wrote:
    For the edification of your friends on the BB, how about sharing with us some of the

"Things that the KJV or any English version couldn't have taught me"?

5. Skandelon

Just one example.

My screen name, Skandelon, is a biblical Greek word translated in the KJV as "rock of offense" and literally means "a thing that offends."

To keep it short, we get our English word "Scandal" from this word. A scandal is offensive because it takes what is hidden in our lives and brings it to light. Jesus was the "rock of offense" because he took what was hidden and brought it to light. This offended many which explain why he said, "I didn't come to bring peace by division."

These types of word studies help me understand the meaning of the language and the intent of the original author.

There are many other examples but I hope this helps you to see what I mean. Thanks [​IMG]

6. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I don't have any real problem with anyone learning Greek, especially as long as it does not lead them into the same old thing of having some "new found authority" to use that "Greek" to try and straighten out the Bible. Greek is far too wonderful a language and too much speculation entails in it's proper use and that is never any distinct rules of the grammar of Greek that are absolutes. Many will try and say there are, but there are at least some evidences to the contrary. It's just like any language, certain rules of grammar apply, but then there always seems to be the exceptions to the rule of any language, context come to mind rather suddenly.

What sort of puzzles me is how people spend so much time learning a dead language that can only be used in a discussion with other Greek students, which by the way leads into some fierce debates, but there are so many other languages that lost peoples are speaking today that need the Gospel preached to them so they too might have the opportunity to go to heaven. I mean in America how we are being over-run in the remedial trades and service sector of employment by the Mexican populous. We expect them to learn our language, and in the process we learn a little Spanish, but wouldn't we, and they, be better off if we learned how to communicate the Gospel in thier language? Yes. That is why i am trying to learn some Spanish so i can at least understand when i run into these guys on my job, frequently too.

As far as I know, only Christians are seeking an education in the Greek, seems we ought to be learning the languages of those in need instead of those who are already dead.

Just a simple uneducated thought.

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

Right now my Greek eats up about 30 minutes a day, every day. If after 2 years I can read the Greek NT fluently and more or less unassisted, I will consider it time well spent. It's probably a better use of my time than posting here. [​IMG]

Greek + pride can lead to trouble, but IMO the problem lies with the pride, not the Greek.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek IS the "bible" precepts, not an English translation of it. If you desire to study the "bible", I would suggest setting down an Anglican translation and learning Greek.

There are classes, however, in "English Bible" for folks who do not know Greek. They will, of course, only be as reliable as the teacher and the translation.

My goal as a pastor would be to get every adult in the church to know and understand Greek. Just things like "gender" and "tenses" are almost unknown in English and add to our understanding of the Word.

Praise God He promised to preserve His Word and He did IN THE GREEK TEXT so that it could be studied and translated into every language in 2004. Blessed be His Name!

9. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Which Greek text? I don't minimize the use of Greek, except when it strays in defining what is clear in the English text of the AV 1611 KJB. Now that does not say the KJB is the defining point of Greek, but it does say that the Greek MSS that differ from those Greek texts that support the KJB are most of the time in error and not used to determine God's Word.

We've been exerting much energy to show that is often, if not always, the case when the versions conflict each other. We just maintain the standard of the KJB and the Greek and Hebrew MSS that are most in agreement, historically as well.

I have found Greek fascinating, but to be honest, I guess that's still o.k. for a Baptist preacher? I find the KJB already said what the Greek has said.

I look at it this way, No one could know what the Greek says w/o a dictionary, neither can anyone know what a language used is saying without some sort of dictionary. I don't need two dictions, or two dictionaries to know what thus saith the LORD.

I already understand English enough to understand the KJB, but I have to learn a whole other language to understand the Greek New Testament, I accomplish that with a dictionary written in English

In reality, learning Greek from my English speaking standpoint, requires an English dictionary of the Greek language.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me the need for a least working knowledge of NT Greek for a pastor, is akin to the need of a modern non-anglophone businessman to have a working knowledge of English. Without the last a n-a business man can do business in his/her town/region/country but English is the language of international commerce. E.g. it is to his and his firm's profit for a Russian businessman in the middle of Moscow to have at least a working knowledge of English (if nothingelse it means he can read Forbes or the Economist in the original.)

11. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I'm glad God isn't an international figure in the business market in world trade and commerce

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's sheer idiotic stupidity.

We just maintain the standard of the KJB and the Greek and Hebrew MSS that are most in agreement, historically as well.

That's the tail wagging the dog.

I have found Greek fascinating, but to be honest, ...

You almost lost me on that phrase.

...I guess that's still o.k. for a Baptist preacher? I find the KJB already said what the Greek has said.

The Greek did not say "God forbid" in Romans 3:4 and 9 other spots, for an example.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, God hasn't gone international yet? What then is his scope?

14. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

There are many instances where the KJV has a superb English translation of the Greek text; however, there are also instances where the KJV has a poor English translation of the Greek text (e.g., Mk. 1:10, where the forceful Greek word used to describe the heavens being "torn open" at Jesus' baptism is robbed of its forcefulness by the KJV's anemic translation). The Greek text is the standard against which *all* English translations must be compared. That's the major reason why serious students of the NT learn Greek.

15. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Thank you for pointing out the fault of the Greek for not showing us what the Lord forbids. Or I should say that your understanding of the Greek fails to show what the Lord forbids.
    Like saying the LORD was "deceived" in Ps 78:36?

I know that wasn't Greek, unless the Septuagint is consulted.

Did I hear you say that Jim Nabors first introduced Hanes for men on "Gomer Pyle, USMC"?

16. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Oh, God hasn't gone international yet? What then is his scope? </font>[/QUOTE]I didn't put my God on the sales shelves on the international market, yall did. I rather observe Him still on His Throne up on high!

17. Precepts

Precepts New Member

There are many instances where the KJV has a superb English translation of the Greek text; however, there are also instances where the KJV has a poor English translation of the Greek text (e.g., Mk. 1:10, where the forceful Greek word used to describe the heavens being "torn open" at Jesus' baptism is robbed of its forcefulness by the KJV's anemic translation). The Greek text is the standard against which *all* English translations must be compared. That's the major reason why serious students of the NT learn Greek. </font>[/QUOTE]You mean that Harmless Dove ripped the Portals of Glory apart when He descended to show His Approval of His Co-equal Existence in the Person of Jesus Christ? No. I would just expect that the Heavens "opening" is more than just a normal event, I'd rather believe it was certainly Glorious, not violent as "torn open" would indicate, but hey? What do I know? I'm just a plumb ol'dumber.

18. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

That's sheer idiotic stupidity.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Count me in! I also don't use the Greek to correct the KJV. Any more idiots out there? [​IMG]

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can see into heaven, can you? Describe it for us.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, there's a few who haven't answered checked in yet.