1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is it wrong?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TisMe, Jun 16, 2013.

1. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Hi, Fellow brother's and sister's! Happy, Father's Day!

I have a question for you all. The question is, is it wrong to meditate? I am not speaking about meditating on the word of God, However, I do that also. I am referring to relaxation meditation. I enjoy listening to enya or soothing nature music, while preforming recreational meditation. I don't think about anything and just let my mind go as blank as possible and focus on my breathing. Kind of like Yoga but with no stretching ( I cannot even cross my legs anymore ).

I don't associate any of my beliefs of course to Buddha, I am a baptist! However, that is not to say that I do not find worth while reading and quotes from all people and places. Anyways, this is getting a bit long and off the main point.

Just wondering if you all think Meditation in the traditional sense is okay?

Thanks,

God bless,

TisMe

2. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think you're wading into some dangerous territory here. Even those who practice meditation, or teach it, warn that there are some dangers. I'd read up on those dangers, by Googling "Dangers of Meditation."

There's a difference between Biblical meditation and other kinds. You should know the difference.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every time I try to meditate it becomes a nap. :sleep:

5. Gib

Gib Active Member

I skip the "try to meditate" part and just go for the nap.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I dont think there is anything wrong in the way you (th op) descibed your meditation, but it can be a slippery slope.

#6 Alive in Christ, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  7. TisMe

TisMe New Member

:laugh: That is what normally happens to me!

8. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Great, Thanks, I just was not sure if there was any particular verses on the matter that would condemn it.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure you're actually doing meditation here. Sounds to me like you're just relaxing to the music, which of course is not wrong.

Religious meditation (yoga, Zen, etc.) has a religious purpose to it of some kind, not just relaxation. :type:

#9 John of Japan, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  10. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Aww, I see. So, meditating for relaxation purposes rather then all the other hoopla they religiously want you to invest time into is okay. I just Googled the steps for a good stress relieving meditation. Thanks, for the reply.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have music going then you are not letting your mind go blank like in Zen or yoga meditation. The music is your input.

If you were to come to Japan to learn zazen, Zen meditation, you would:

1. Rise extremely early, say 4:00 AM.
    2. Sit on your feet with your back straight, staring straight ahead.
    3. Empty your mind--no music.
    4. Watch out for the priest walking behind you to smack you with the bamboo sword if he sees you nodding off. [​IMG]

12. Fred's Wife

Fred's Wife Member

Beware of any type of meditation that promotes "contemplative spirituality".

Contemplative Spirituality: A belief system that uses ancient mystical practices to induce altered states of consciousness (the silence) and is rooted in mysticism and the occult but often wrapped in Christian terminology. The premise of contemplative spirituality is pantheistic (God is all) and panentheistic (God is in all). Common terms used for this movement are "spiritual formation," "the silence," "the stillness," "ancient-wisdom," "spiritual disciplines," and many others.

http://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/contemplativespirituality.htm

Check out the Lighthouse Trails Research Project web site for more information.

13. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is value in meditation, but like posted earlier, there are some dangers that the Believer needs to be aware.

First, it is healthy to dwell on the goodness of God, the leading by His guidance on the path of the past, and such.

Second, if music is being used, I must caution you strongly. Music therapists know that music is not benign, it is no friend of the believer when used and performed by the heathen. Therefore, if music is in the background it should be that of sound hymns, spiritual songs that "make melody in the heart."

Lastly, I often wish that I could have spent more time in private, quiet, uninterrupted introspective contemplation in which I focused upon the impulse of the Holy Spirit.

Please if you meditate, do not just let your mind go blank, for that is not healthy. The believer's mind is still fallen and must be made submissive, focused, and tuned to the Word.

How shall a young man cleans his ways?

By taking Scriptures and submitting to them, making your heart, mind, strength move at the impulse of His Love.

14. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Thank you, and everyone else who has put time into reply to my thread.

You have some good points, but, a question of mine is this. Along with reading the bible, I read a lot of philosophy as well. Hume, Marcus Aurelius, Buddha, Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, ect. I have a very good filter and believe we can learn quite a lot by reading all those with valuable wisdom.

So, during meditation If I choose to use my meditation time to think over a certain philosophical problem, would that be okay? Not only can you gain valuable insight and heighten you knowledge on certain aspects of the world and what it entails but can also allow you the tools to combat other philosopher's ( whom take a atheist or Agnostic ) belief.

15. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that a good education is not to be discouraged, and there is a lot to be said for one who can "answer a fool according to their folly" when that fool's words are going to do damage to someone.

Nor is there a particular problem with doing a comparative analysis between some worldly philosophical work and Scriptures. God isn't threatened by man's thinking.

Here is a general rule that for many years I have encouraged believers to make as a part of their daily reading.

There are 31 Proverbs, read that Proverb's chapter that corresponds to the day of the month.

It is amazing how much practical knowledge you can gain from that short book, and, when you then investigate the philosophical works of heathen, you will actually have Godly principles in which to contrast and steady your pondering.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Personally, I would flee Buddism like the plaque.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Buddha a philosopher? That's a new one on me. He was a religionist, a very arrogant man who considered himself better than "the gods," an immoral man who deserted his wife and child to search for "enlightenment." Plus, his words were not written down until 200 years later, so we really don't know what he taught, but his supposed teachings are a bunch of foolishness.

18. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Hey John,

I totally agree, I should have clarified that he was not a philosopher and jumbled him together with my list, however, the point i was trying to make is that I enjoy reading everyone ( for the most part ) and taking the good wisdom and filtering out the bad. Kind of like life in general. Thanks for your reply.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome.

By the way, if anyone out there is reading Buddha to learn what Buddhists believe, forget that! The typical Buddhist has no idea what Buddha ostensibly taught, especially in the Japanese versions. I once took our director to the neighborhood temple, and he asked the priest's wife through me what the meaning was of that sutra on the little stand next to the idol and she said, "I don't know, it's in Chinese!"

#19 John of Japan, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  20. TisMe

TisMe New Member

Lol, that is funny!

Was I the only one that had the advertisement on the top of the thread page, that was of a lady in a meditating position that said "Discover A Revolutionary Technology That Helps You Experience Deep Meditation in Minutes"? :laugh: