1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Judas in Hell?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by riverm, Apr 18, 2006.

1. riverm

riverm New Member

Here’s a question I’d like to kick around. Is Judas (the betrayer of Jesus) in Heaven or Hell?

After being raised an IFB, I no longer consider myself a Baptist, but my parents still are IFB. My mother will be quick to damn an individual to Hell in a twinkling of an eye. She made the comment that Judas was in Hell. I'm sort of indifference in the manner, so I reframe from making any assumptions, but I ask my mom how she knew Judas was in Hell and she said her Bible says so. Naturally, I ask her for the verse that stated explicitly that Judas was burning in Hell. She’s yet to respond.

Is there any verses that addresses the fact that Judas is in Hell? Or is this all speculation and if so, what verses do you use to say that Judas is in Hell.

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Not if there is truth in the recently translated documents.

3. epistemaniac

epistemaniac New Member

don't worry, there isn't any truth in them.... the "Gospel" of Judas is a piece of gnostic trash...

anyway, to the OP... it seems reasonable to think that he is in Hell;

Mat 26:24 esv The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born.

Joh 17:12 esv While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled.

blessings,
    Ken

4. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Jesus said in his prayer for his disciples, "Those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition."

5. riverm

riverm New Member

Would it be safe to say that Judas was possessed by the Devil, when he betrayed Jesus?

Also, being raised IFB, I was taught that predestination was false. Was Judas predestined to Hell? I mean in order to fulfill God’s plan, someone had to betray Jesus right? And if betraying Jesus meant an eternity in Hell, then someone was created for that sole purpose.

But here’s another thought…Judas betrayed Jesus to the Pharisees, not thinking that they were going to kill Him. Judas tried to return the money saying that he betrayed innocent blood. I don’t think Judas meant for Jesus to be killed, but only to motivate Jesus to rise up and deliver them from the grips of Rome. It was the Pharisees that actually turned Jesus over to the Roman authorities to be executed.

If Judas was really set on betraying Jesus on the intention of having Him executed; why try and give the money back and why kill one self? Why not take the money and leave town?

These questions are NOT motivated from the supposed gospel of Judas, only questions that I’ve always had, during this time of year…

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe Judas is in Hell, as the previous verses show. I don't believe a believer can be possessed, as the Bible states that satan entered Judas.

7. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I see no place where the Lord prayed for Judas as he did Peter.

Why else would Christ say this unless Judas was in hell? Would it have been better for any child of God to not be born?

I can not say with all surety that Judas is in hell, but the scriptures seem to point that way.

8. standingfirminChrist

Jesus said in His prayer to the Father...

'All that thou hast given into mine hand, I have kept; save the son of perdition'.

Judas was that son of perdition. He was with the disciples, but never truly was attatched to the vine

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It's all speculation. Your mom will never find a verse stating that Judas is in hell, because there isn't one. The only thing that Judas is ever truly accused of doing wrong was stealing money.

Just out of curiosity, is that incident mentioned in the new documents that were discovered?

10. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

It's all speculation. Your mom will never find a verse stating that Judas is in hell, because there isn't one. The only thing that Judas is ever truly accused of doing wrong was stealing money.

Just out of curiosity, is that incident mentioned in the new documents that were discovered?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Of course not. Judas is the darling of the particular Gnostic heretic that imagined that "gospel."

11. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

Acts 1

16"Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus.

17"For he was counted among us and received his share in this ministry."

18(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out.

19And it became known to all who were living in Jerusalem; so that in their own language that field was called Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.)

20"For it is written in the book of Psalms,
    'LET HIS HOMESTEAD BE MADE DESOLATE,
    AND LET NO ONE DWELL IN IT';
    and,
    'LET ANOTHER MAN TAKE HIS OFFICE.'

21"Therefore it is necessary that of the men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us--

22beginning with the baptism of John until the day that He was taken up from us--one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection."

23So they put forward two men, Joseph called Barsabbas (who was also called Justus), and Matthias.

24And they prayed and said, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all men, show which one of these two You have chosen

25to occupy this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place."

Scpriture overwhelmingly supports Judas being in Hell.

Ask yourself these questions:
    Is it better to have never been born or go to Heaven?
    Is it better to have never been born or go to Hell?
    What is the meaning of John 17:12 (as SFIC referenced) if he was going to go to Heaven?
    If Judas didn't go to Hell, what does Acts 1:25 mean when it says that Judas turned aside the ministry and apostleship to go to his own place?

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

First of all, I'm assuming that by "hell" you are referring to the lake of fire. No one's there yet.

Secondly, the word translated as "lost" in John 17:12 is apollumi (perishing). It has to do with the loss of life in the age to come, not everlasting salvation. Unless you think that spiritual salvation can be forfeited, "perishing" cannot be applied to someone headed for the lake of fire.

As far as Acts 1:25 goes, what is "his place"? Some commentators think it refers to Gehenna, so not the lake of fire. Also, as in interesting note in that verse, the word translated as "fell" is "stumbled"; not fell completely, but misstepped.

13. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Hope, I don't think chronology applies to eternity.

14. gtbuzzarp

gtbuzzarp New Member

My sentiments exactly tp.

Also HoG you neglected Matthew 26:24 and Mark 14:21 and did not address the "son of perdition"(apoleia) part of John 17:12.

By "hell" in regard to Judas I mean that he did not go to Heaven. But my thinking is not limited by time. Judas will be in the "lake of fire" like all of those whose name is not written in the Lamb's Book of Life. For your sake I will accept Gehenna. :D

So betraying our Lord into the hands of the authorities for 30 pieces of silver is not as bad?

15. bubba jimmy

bubba jimmy New Member

When Jesus' disciples asked Him about Judas, he aswered "what is that to thee? Follow thou me."

I think He was saying it isn't any of our business.

16. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Indeed Judas is lost - but is not yet in the fires of hell.

Both Judas and Peter betrayed Christ that night - but only one repented!

Even so - Judas was the ONLY disciple publically defending Christ at his trial - kind of ironic.

In Christ,

Bob