1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is knowing Jesus as the Son of God a requirement to have eternal life or not?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If by divine you mean God, yes.

Scripture is clear to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. What do people need to know about the Lordship of Jesus to be saved? How comprehensive is the list?

I think it's funny people say a sinner does not have to understand Christ as Savior, since the very understanding of "Christ" and "Messiah" is just that.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Of course they need to understand that he is Savior. Who said otherwise? If one doesn't believe he saves then why ask?

But just accepting that he saves, that he is a Savior, is woefully insufficient. Bowing to Him as Lord is what he came for.

That he is Lord- pretty simple.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Freeatlast did a couple posts back, that was why I mentioned it.
    I don't think it is..that is what was understood of the Messiah by God's people. It was a given that He was also Lord, but nothing more is required than what Peter said when he began to fall under the waves.
    No, that is what He will be coming for again. He came to be the Lamb led to the slaughter as THE Passover Lamb, to give His life as a ransom for many. In the future every knee will bow and every tounge will confess...

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

webdog that is false. I never said what you posted.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No, him becoming a Lamb was a means to an end. That end is seen... in the end- when every knee will bow and tongue confess that he Lord.

He became a Lamb that he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us.

Shew is the key word. To display, to manifest, to commend it.

But the universe is His to rule. He is Lord. Scripture says he came to be the Lord of them that believe, if I recall.

BTW, He cannot save unless he is Lord. If he is not Master of all things then he cannot save. He must be the Lord over the grave and death and hell. He must be Lord and ruler the world in order to save out of it.

One who is less than Lord is not capable of saving a soul from hell and death and the omnipotent wrath of God.

He is the Lord who saves. Saving is what he does. Lord is what he is. If thou shalt confess the LORD Jesus Christ... thou shalt be saved.

BTW, this is what the Apostles preached. Do a word study and find how many times the term "Savior" is ascribed to Christ and compare that to haw many times he is called "LORD".

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well put and accurate to scripture. :thumbs:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"While He is Saviour only accepting Him as that does not get one saved."

When a person is trapped in a fire, do they need their boss to save them or a fireman?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He IS Lord, we don't make Him Lord. People who need saving need saviours. The Saviour IS Lord like you said, but we reach out to a Saviour for justification, and surrender in sanctification.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

They need one who can master the flames. They need one whose training and abilities enable him to be lord over the fire.

10. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

We don't make him Lord- right. But we acknowledge it, we confess it, we call upon it- to be saved.

He saves those who acknowledge this. This is clear, irrefutable, biblical soteriological absolute truth.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now that is what I said and not what you falsely posted before.

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

And when they call upon him and he takes them up into his arms they must surrender their lives into his care in order to be saved from the flames. It is that he is lord of the flames and their willingness to acknowledge it and surrender to the fact that brings about their salvation.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Not only that we more then acknowledge Him being Lord, it is noit lip service, we receive Him as our personal Lord, Master or we are not saved.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't falsely post anything, my premise is correct.

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That's not true Webdog. You said that he said that one does not need to recognize Jesus as Savior. He did not say that, did he? Just apologize and let's move on.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

They surrender their lives, their condition...they don't promise the fireman to be good to their wives and children, work harder at work, etc. in exchange for salvation from the flames. THAT is the doctrine of Lordship Salvation as taught by the likes MacArthur.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No it isn't. No one says you have to make God promises. That would be silly, wouldn't it? That's not Lordship.

Lordship is surrendering your life, your all to Jesus.

If you are against that biblical concept of salvation, then do not sing with the church next time that old invitation hymn:

"All to Jesus I surrender, All to him I freely give,
    I will ever love and trust him in his presence daily live.
    All to Jesus I surrender Humbly at his feet I bow,
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken Take me Jesus take me now.

I surrender all, I surrender All. All to thee my blessed Savior I surrender ALL."

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, that's exactly what MacArthur says is required in LS.

How does one "surrender your life, your all" prior to faith in Chrsit? How can one promise to be a disciple without knowing what is required of a disciple?
    I'm opposed to Lordship Salvation, but I CAN sing that song, as I have been regenerated, justified and can NOW understand what being a disciple consists of and having this new Spirit within CAN surrender totally.

Actually, in your view you better not sing it, as every time you sin you are not surrendering your all to Him, are you! Each sin you commit you surrender to your flesh and not what God desires. If you think this out to it's conclusion, unless you have sinless perfection, you are not saved under LS!

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Your wasting your time. This guy never admits when he has done wrong. On several occasions he has posted outright lies about what I say. Even when confronted he still denies the lie. And in the case of contextual evidence it does not matter what scripture says or teaches. He has made up his mind and no amount of biblical truth will change it. Scripture speaks of this;
    For this they willingly are ignorant of;
    For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#80 Luke2427, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.