1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is lying ever good?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Apr 10, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In my reading today (2 Kings 10), and throughout the first part of the OT (David and Jonathan in the field, etc.), I'm sensing there are times when lying is not only justified, but encouraged. Case in point:

2Ki 10:16 Then he said, "Come with me and see my zeal for the LORD!" So he let him ride with him in his chariot.
    2Ki 10:17 When Jehu came to Samaria, he struck down all who remained from the house of Ahab in Samaria until he had annihilated his house, according to the word of the LORD spoken to Elijah.
    2Ki 10:18 Then Jehu brought all the people together and said to them, "Ahab served Baal a little, but Jehu will serve him a lot.
    2Ki 10:19 Now, therefore, summon to me all the prophets of Baal, all his servants, and all his priests. None must be missing, for I have a great sacrifice for Baal. Whoever is missing will not live." However, Jehu was acting deceptively in order to destroy the servants of Baal.

2Ki 10:29 but he did not turn away from the sins that Jeroboam son of Nebat had caused Israel to commit--worshiping the golden calves that were in Bethel and Dan.
    2Ki 10:30 Nevertheless, the LORD said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in carrying out what is right in My sight and have done to the house of Ahab all that was in My heart, four generations of your sons will sit on the throne of Israel."

We see Jehu using dishonesty to carry out the Lord's will...and the Lord being pleased with it.
    Why is that, and how does this translate to us today? Is it permissible to be dishonest in any given situation, depending on what it is?

#1 webdog, Apr 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2007
  2. His Blood Spoke My Name

The killing of the servants of Baal was what was good in God's sight, not the lying. Lying is never good.

Thou shalt not bear false witness.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lying played a part in carrying out the Lords will, though. It can't be separated from the entire act.

4. His Blood Spoke My Name

God said 'Thou shalt not bear false witness'. He is not going to command His people to lie and then be pleased when they disobey Him and lie anyway

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thou shalt not kill"

How about that?

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lying is not to be our way of life.
    Our Christian testimony is at stake.
    ...but there seems to be some exceptions.

There are other examples in the Bible where a lie was effectively used in God’s plan.

Rob

7. His Blood Spoke My Name

Sure...

And while you are at it, why don't you go ahead and commit adultery in the name of the Lord? or covet that which belongs to your neighbor in the name of the Lord.

surely God did not mean it when He gave those commandments...

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You left of "...against your neighbor."

How does that play into this discussion? Who's considered a "neighbor"...and is false witness OK in other circumstances?

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just curious. I have heard even "white lies" are sinful, and here what I see Jehu doing is a lot more than a white lie.

#8 webdog, Apr 10, 2007
  9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks. I've seen that more and more as I'm going through the OT. I have always believed and been taught as HBSMN has alluded to, but now I"m not so sure that every "lie" is wrong, but given the intentions behind the lie. If someone broke into my home, came across only me and asked if there was anyone else in the house, I would say "no" to protect my wife and son. While this is clearly a lie, I don't see how it's counted as sin, and parallels similar incidents found in Scripture.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lying seems to be much like killing in Scripture.

One should, in general, not kill or lie.

However, there are instances in which killing or lying may be acceptable.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, God holds us accountable for our words and actions.
    Telling the truth is not a sin.

Rob

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree, that's why I mentioned circumstances play a role.
    Would it have been in the Scripture that you provided in this thread?

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Who would recomend to the employes of the CIA and other goverment inteligence agencies that they never lie.

How about police agencies. It would go something like this.

Criminal: How did you know my car was full of drugs?

Officer: Well Joe Blow ratted you off, he told us you had drugs and were selling them.

If you were the officer would you lie?

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

What is "false witness"?

Also, don't forget that the Lord told David to lie. When David said, "I can't go up there, he'll kill me." The Lord said, "Just tell 'em that you came to worship."

Also, David lied to get Goliath's sword. (OK, it was more an obfuscation than a lie; he had been anointed king, so in that sense, he was king, but he had not ascended the throne.)

Also, the commandment is not to murder.

The Lord tells people to kill plenty of times.

15. His Blood Spoke My Name

God did not tell David to lie.

If you read all of that passage God told Samuel to take an heifer with him. God wanted a sacrifice there. So God did not tell David to lie.

#15 His Blood Spoke My Name, Apr 10, 2007
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Please provide Scripture.

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

2KI 6:18 As the enemy came down toward him, Elisha prayed to the LORD, "Strike these people with blindness." So he struck them with blindness, as Elisha had asked.
    2KI 6:19 Elisha told them, "This is not the road and this is not the city. Follow me, and I will lead you to the man you are looking for." And he led them to Samaria.

That was the road and that was the city and the man they wanted. :) Good passage to remember in times of tribulation.

God made the lie successful for Elisha.

john.

18. His Blood Spoke My Name

God did not tell Elisha to lie.

19. His Blood Spoke My Name

1 Samuel 16:1-7 Samuel 16:1 And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons. 2 And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD. 3 And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee. 4 And Samuel did that which the LORD spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably? 5 And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice. 6 And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORD'S anointed is before him. 7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

20. johnp.

johnp. New Member

His Blood.

No but it was God blinding those men that caused the lie to work. How do you deal with, 1KI 22:23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."

And, 2 Thess 2:11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie

john.