1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is lying ever good?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It would have been much better if Samuel and Rahab and all those other righteous liars had remained silent.

I don't understand why God didn't see that.

2. Isaiah40:28

Isaiah40:28 New Member

If you think you're interacting with my beliefs and arguments, then you are mistaken.

Don't make mocking sarcastic statements about God to try to prove a point. That is always disturbing no matter who is talking.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think his statements were mocking God...but those who see any kind of deception in any circumstance as sinful.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Close, but not quite.

I have admitted that it's possible that it's always a sin, but I don't think Scriptures will support that assertion, and have given Scriptures to show such.

Others have given the opinion that it's always sinful, and have given Scriptures to show why.

This is debate.

However, others have chosen to put their own interpretation into and have add the "obviously" sentiment to it, and that is what I was satirically using the sarcasm for.

Was not actually intending to be mocking anyone.

You are correct that I was not mocking Jehovah at all, though.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When you begin with a false premise you will end with a false conclusion. It doesn't matter if the word "repent" is a Latin word. The NT was not written in Latin, originally. It was written in Greek. And, repent does not mean "rue your sins," "regret," "show remorse," etc. Repentance has nothing to do with feeling sorry for one's sins. That is a big misconception. You can feel sorry all you want for your sins, but unless you repent you shall likewise perish.
    Judas Iscariot didn't actually repent; but he did feel sorry for what he had done. Then throwning a pity party for himself, he went out and hung himself. He never repented.

Judas Iscariot had remorse. He regretted what he had done. He gave back the thirty pieces of silver. He was sorry that he had betrayed Christ. But that didn't gain him salvation. He still hadn't repented.

Nowhere in the Bible does it say that one must repent of their sins in order to get saved.
    Repentance is a change of mind with respect to one's attitude toward God. It is a change in direction. Once a person was living in a state of rebellion against God. The he repented. He changed his mind in respect to his attitude toward God. Now he is living in a state of obedience toward God. That is repentance. It is a change of mind; a change of direction in respect to one's attitude toward God.
    Nowhere does it say that we have to sit down and try to remember all the sins that we have ever committed and then repent of each and every one of them. "Repent of all your sins." If that were the case no one could be saved. Who can repent of all their sins, let alone remember them all? The requirement of salvation is "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." Which means that the requirement is "faith," and that faith includes repentance--not simple sorrow, but repentance.