1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Mark 16:17-20 for today?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by luke1616, Aug 16, 2010.

1. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Not at one point did it lead to that brother. Thats the way you saw it! I would say go back and read it again but I don't want to waste my time. I know what I said and God knows what I said and all of you know what I said and at no point was I out of the way of the truth. God bless.

#81 charles_creech78, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  2. luke1616

luke1616 New Member

James 2

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

Matthew 5

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 11

20 Then began he to upbraid the cities wherein most of his mighty works were done, because they repented not:

John 14

12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Yahoo Jesus!:applause:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a current thread touching on the legitimacy of the longer ending of Mark. I thought this would help.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a continuation of the previous post.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

per the OP....

Would say its about the same as book of Acts for theology today...

Inspired history from God in what really happened, but theology not Normantive for today!

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they are for today, but not in the Charismatic understanding of testing God.

I speak in a "new tongue," Japanese. I remember hearing Richard Wurmbrand (I think it was) tell of being tested by a Communist guard by this passage, who told him if he really believed God he would drink the poison the guard had. Wurmbrand drank it and was protected from harm.

(Sorry to jump in on this thread late. Didn't see it before, but feel my comments are relevant.)

#86 John of Japan, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2011
  7. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verses in question are in about 99.6% of the extant Greek manuscripts and are quoted by some of the earliest Church fathers. Yes, they are the words of our Lord and yes, they are for today, but need to be understood correctly.

The words were spoken to the Apostles (v14). See Heb 2:3-4 for confirmation, if it were needed, that our Lord's words were fulfilled.

As for the alleged 'flow' of the verses. The Gospel reads somewhat oddly however you end it. If you stop at v8, it ends with a preposition. We can trust the Lord to have preserved His word in the vast majority of the texts.

Steve