1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is not recycling a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pocadots1990, Mar 6, 2012.

1. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I had a question raised to me at church and wanted to get your thoughts.

Is it a sin if you are not recycling?

We have people in our church who are big on recycling. Even to go as far as to say that if we are not recycling, then we are not being good stewards of the Earth and that we are sinning.

For instance, through trash on the ground is wrong. It needs to go in the trash can. We all agree about that. But the question is about not taking plastics, papers, etc to the recycling center. We just throw those things away.

I don't know of anything in scripture where it is mandated to recycle. Does anyone know of scripture that supports recycling? I want to give them a clear biblical answer.

My personal opinion is this is a personal choice. If the person is throwing everything away and not taking stuff to the recycling center, then that is okay. That is between them and the Lord. If it is a city ordinance to have recycling pickup days, then we should follow the laws of the land.

Thanks for your views on this matter.

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

No it is not a sin. Generally those who hold this view fall into two camps:

1. It is just a stewardship of the earth issue. The people with this view vary in degrees of extreme. One it is simple stewardship and responsible conservation. The other extreme is outright earth worship.

2. It is a twisted gospel. Some, like Brian McLaren and Rob Bell, see the Gospel as a whole earth issue. God wants us to make friends with all people and we are to return the earth to an Eden-like state. God's plan was not to redeem mankind, but also the animals, plants, and earth itself. Obviously there are various extreme views in this camp as well, but the least extreme tend to be extreme enough, IMO.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If they can show what law or command of God that it violates then I will agree with them.

UNLESS - It is the mandated law in your town/village/region. If it is the mandated law and you disobey it then yes, it is a sin.

But I do think that it is just wise to do the best that we can do to try to take care of the things we have. I try to recycle everything I can but I'm sure I toss things that could have been recycled. Do I worry about it? Not really. I do my best and that's all I can do.

4. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I go along to an extent of reusing things, trash goes in the trsh etc. A sin? I guess this would fall into the holiday and food, whatever is a sin to whoever verse. I've noticed that when there is a new fad in the world, sooner or later it gets pushed to the church. Caretakers of the earth yes, but if I'm really pushed by green people, I ask them if they ever heard of the earth being destroyed and made new again,and what will it matter if plastics cannot break down.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The question in the OP misunderstands the nature of sin.

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as sin for 'failing to be good stewards of the earth'... I don't think there is any way to know for sure-- that is, to know for sure if by recycling we are saving resources, or we are using more of them. Of course it appears 'good' to put glass, plastic, and paper into recycle bins instead of throwing it in with the garbage; but the trucks to transport, machinery to divide, sort, throw out unrecyclables, and reconstitute, the chemicals involved in the processes, the fuels and lubricants to accomplish all this, and all the materials to make the bins, containers, machinery, tires, and finally the pollutants from all the steps involved.... from the abstract view of an ordinary observer, I think it's hard to see it being beneficial overall. If you do a search for info on this you get-- no surprise!-- many sites that 'take' both positions. Some say recycling is unquestionably worth all the efforts; some say the opposite. None of us is in a position to make the evaluation objectively. Therefore we make it unobjectively-- essentially like the sites themselves.

The few discussions I have had about this seem to go one of 2 ways. Some ask 'why go to the trouble?' as 'one person can't do it.' That's true, of course. The other position is: maybe recycling still results in little if any saving of the earth for now, but the longer we do it and develop it and expand on it, the more benefits are going to be seen. And it's also hard to argue with that. I have to agree that a basis, per se, needs to be in place, because we can't just indiscriminately exhaust and pollute with no concern about it at all.

Like many topics, this has some parallels. Human are sinners, and we know we don't completely rid ourselves of all sinful behavior. But we make a better effort with the 'big' ones-- most of us don't murder, don't steal cars or diamonds, don't visit brothels (I hope, anyway)... but we do drive above the speed limit, talk about other peoples' affairs, show pride in worldly events, pretend feelings we don't have in order to make an impression... these 'little' sins are the ones we are always 'working on.' These sins against God parallel 'sins against the environment' in that we think it's the big ones that really matter-- taking a load of junk and dumping it off a bridge, releasing millions of gallons of oil into the ocean, mass spraying of insecticides that make people and animals sick. But the little ones, like using disposable styrofoam cups or plates, or holding on to plastic bottles till we get to recycle station instead of throwing them in the trash, are things we may be 'working on.'

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is it a sin if you are not recycling?

Politically incorrect in some places, maybe; but unless there's some type of ordinance governing it, I'd say no.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is not a sin to recycle. However, it is a good idea. Here are some examples.

John 6:12
    And when they had eaten their fill, he told his disciples, “Gather up the leftover fragments, that nothing may be .....

Numbers 35:33
    You shall not pollute the land in which you live, for blood pollutes the land, and no atonement can be made for the land for the blood that is shed in it, except by the blood of the one who shed it.

Jeremiah 18:1-6
    The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: “Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will let you hear my words.” So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-3
    For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

Psalm 24:1
    A Psalm of David. The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein,

Romans 8:19-24
    For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. ...

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Its a matter of personal opinion

Recycling is not readibly available in my county

I take vegatable scraps---stuff like used coffee grounds and put them in a compost pile----if that counts

When I cut a tree for firewood(we live on a farm) I always replant to replace the one I cut

Good stewards of the earth is more than recycling

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very interesting thread!

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Is it good to recycle - I will let you answer that.

Blackbird, the items you mentioned are examples of recycling.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since recycling costs more and takes up more time, wouldn't that cut into being a good steward of finances and time? :)

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are convicted that you are disobeying God by not being a good steward if you don’t recycle, and you refuse to recycle, I’d say it probably is a sin.

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm all for good stewardship and it really bugs me that there is a major lack of ability to recycle out here, but a sin? I personally think that would only be a sin if you're convicted of it personally and then that would make it wrong for you, not others.

There's a lot of waste in this country. That's a sin. Perhaps we contribute to it personally, both by what we waste and by being consumers who use products from companies that do not care about taking care of the earth like the Bible tells us is our responsibility.

It's an issue that bothers me a lot, but I don't know what can be done about it and raising my kids right now takes precedence over fighting that battle at the moment. That's Biblical too!

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I read we use MORE fuels and resources to recycle. It's half a dozen in one hand and 6 in the other :)

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Recycling or lack thereof is not a listed sin. Some periphreal issues, as already discussed are.

I'm not "green" by any stretch of the word, but at the same time, I find nothing at all wrong with: Reuse, Reduce, Recycle.

I do so as much as I can as do most of the people of the world, many of whom have absolutely no choice in the matter as we do.

For me it is a survival strategy. I eat better when I don't spend as much money on stuff and I have more stuff when I can repurpose or reuse or reduce use of other stuff that isn't important.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that I think of it, the reason that I don’t recycle is probably that I’m lazy. So, maybe…. :rolleyes: Is lazienss listed?

17. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Agree to be good stewards of the earth. Agree that we are to follow laws where applicable.

Personal Opinion.

"Recycling" and "green" is, IMHO, are buzz words being used for political, social, and financial agendas.

* Plastics are petroleum based. We are supposed to recycle plastics to keep them out of the landfills. For local governments it's become a revenue stream. Nearby city is trying to make it a criminal offense to remove recycleables from curbside recycle bins. We don't buy 2 liter soda. I use those soda bottles for several re-purposes. I'll be breaking the law if I keep some of them out of the landfills because I didn't buy them full of soda.

But, that's not my main problem with the "recyle" & "green". Let's focus on removing plastics from our routine daily lives, instead. (Yes, there are exceptions that should remain, such as IV bags & tubing for example.) Is all the plastic around a package of pork chops really necessary? Grocer used to wrap them in butcher's paper. Truck loads of plastic toys for kids that break within a few hours. Bottled water: Spend the dollars involved within this industry to provide clean water to the taps. Then, take water with you in an old fashioned Thermos.

* Aspirin used to come in a small tin or a glass bottle. A pack of single or double edged razor blades came in a small paper box. Better half takes a OTC med, recommended by a doctor. The bottle is tiny. The packaging that it comes in is huge. Where is the push to do away with all that plastic and paper that surrounds that bottle? Or, a ballpoint pen? If the waste isn't included with the product, then there's nothing that's automatically tossed in the trash at the point of initial use. Shouldn't we the saving that petroleum and paper for other uses?

* Cokes used to come in a 6 oz bottle that was returned to the store and exchanged for another filled one. Laundry detergent used to come as a powder in a paper carton. Now we're shipping water plus the cleaning agent all over the place in big plastic jugs. How "green" is that? Where's the push to save fuel costs and avoid the need to recycle that plastic jug?

* Where's the push for the return to reusable diapers? Where's the push to return to reusable dishtowels? Where's the push to return to repairable televisions, keyboards, and so many other things in this "disposable" society? Where's the push for the return to real glasses and silverware? Use those plastic cups, plates, utensils, one use tablecloths and then toss in the trash.

How many people will actually sew a button on a shirt, instead of tossing it? Those with political, social, and financial agendas are counting on people who'll toss that shirt, replace their keyboards, buy liquid detergent, etc. & etc. Yes, we're "recycling" and being "green" when we properly dispose of the waste.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Recycling is certainly a good thing to do. No Dohght about that.

But I dont think it is a sin to not recycle. After all, the entire earth is going to be completly renovated and made new in the end times anyway.