1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is our understanding of The Trinity & Godhead, correct?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thorwald, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't you guys believe in the Hypostatic Union? 2 natures Divine and human united in the Person of Jesus Christ? Are you not Dyophysites?

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Here I sit trying to figure out if it ok to call myself a simple Christian on this list, and you ask us if we are "Dyophysites."?????:laugh:

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is a Messianic Psalm and it is prophetic.

But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. (Hebrews 10:12-13)

Christ, after he made one sacrifice, once and for all, sat down at the right hand of God the Father. He has conquered all his enemies.
    Compare that to the OT levitical system as the author of Hebrews was doing.
    1. The OT priests offered sacrifices every day; Christ offered one sacrifice.
    2. Their sacrifices were offered daily; His was eternal.
    3. Theirs were by humans; His was by the Son of God.
    4. They still do sacrifice and thus they stand, always standing; Christ's sacrifice is complete, and thus he sits, as his sacrifice is finished, completed.
    5. They stand, but the place he sits is exalted--at the right hand of the throne of God--part of the triune Godhead.

The question posed by the author of Hebrews, writing to Jewish Christians: when you have all of this, offered to you by Christ in the NT Covenant, why would you even think of turning back to the OT Covenant going back to the Temple worship under the Levitical priesthood??

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14)

Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before, This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; (Hebrews 10:15-16)

Note, there is one God, and only one God.
    But in this one God there are three distinct persons, and they are all mentioned here:
    1. By one offering Christ completed forever...
    --"We are complete in him" Col.2:10). We have a perfect standing before God because of the finished of work of Christ.

2. The Holy Spirit also is a witness to us.
    --The witness of the Holy Spirit is based on the work of the Son.

3. Based on the above, the believer can trust the promise of the Father given in the OT and given here again:

And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. (Hebrews 10:17)
    --This is the promise of the Father.

Son, Spirit and Father. They work together. They are three persons, but one God.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. The Father and the Son are not both Jesus. The Son is not the Father and the Father is not the Son - but they both are God, two persons of the Trinity. :thumbs:

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

All it takes is a womens touch to make things simple. :wavey:

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hey, God knew what He was doing when He made us to help you guys! :laugh:

7. Thorwald

Thorwald Member
    Site Supporter

Hi (I'm back). Your verse (above) can be interpreted, to fit 'The Son (as Lord God Almighty)' talking to 'The Son (as Son of Man)'.

Everyone has ignored the original scriptures that I referenced, and my reasoning, in questioning the 'established' understanding that brings us to our current understanding of The Trinity & The Godhead. I have used the Word of God. Are you telling me that there are 'lies' in the Bible? I have no idea what some (above authors) are telling me, when they say that I am using 'modalism'. Please simply refer to the scriptures, and explain the scriptures that I used to raise the question, in the beginning. I am not interested in Calvin, Luther,...or others that have been referenced above. :jesus:

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I explained that verse for you in post #63 here:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showpost.php?p=1772596&postcount=63

9. Thorwald

Thorwald Member
    Site Supporter

I have NOT denied THE TRINITY... THE FATHER (The ALMIGHTY, INVISIBLE, GOD, who is THE FATHER of THE SON), THE SON (The LORD GOD ALMIGHTY and THE SON OF MAN), and THE HOLY GHOST (who proceedeth from THE FATHER).

The Lord God Almighty (The Son...The Word) was begotten 'above the angels', 'without woman' in the beginning. As Son of Man, He was begotten, 'below the angels' (flesh), by 'woman'. It is through Mary, that sin was passed on to Him, and He had to overcome/defeat this sin, thus redeeming His creations.

#69 Thorwald, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011