1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Pat Robertson calling for a murder, or is he insane?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ASLANSPAL, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Kill him?

Actually this will pretty much inoculate Hugo
    Chavez and if he is assassinated then throughout
    S.America he gets immediate martyr status and
    the United States is blamed whether real or not.

Robertson puts out a hit?

snippet:
    Robertson,75, founder of the Christian Coalition of America and a former presidential candidate, accused the United States of failing to act when Chavez was briefly overthrown in 2002.

Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.

Venezuela is the fifth largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to the United States. The CIA estimates that U.S. markets absorb almost 59 percent of Venezuela's total exports.

Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack down on Cuban and Venezuelan "terrorists" in Florida who they say are conspiring against Chavez.

Robertson has made controversial statements in the past. In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to "kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."

Electronic pages and a message to a Robertson spokeswoman were not immediately returned Monday evening.
    Would like to hear his theology on this.

[ August 23, 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: ASLANSPAL ]

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I quit watching him over 30 years ago. Why are you watching him?

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Pat Robertson is and has been a certifiable loon for years! He has said that feminism encourages witchcraft, lesbianism, and mothers to murder their children. He has claimed to have influenced the course of a hurricane away from his base of operations in Virginia Beach along with dozens of other ludicrous statements.

...and yet, he has been welcomed to the White House by Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II because he can delivered zillions of votes for right wing candidates in elections in Virginia and around the country and can raise zillions of $'s for political activities by the right wingers.

I've read several articles which allege that he has used the tax exempt status of his operations for personal enrichment. It is alleged that he has been involved in several dubious financial schemes. One of them involved buying diamonds from the war torn states in Africa. I am embarrased to acknowlege him and his supporters as a Christian.

Far from being a dictatorship, Venezuela is one of the more democratic countries in Latin America. It has a free media ( the 4 main TV networks oppose Chavez, despite his high approval ratings with the public) and it is the only country in the world where (under a constitution introduced by Chavez) a sitting president can be recalled by referendum. When a recall vote was held recently, he won.

The problem the US government has with Chavez isn't so much Cuba but OPEC. The low oil prices enjoyed in the 80s and 90s were in part due to Venezuela's co-operation with the US. Now, Venezuela is a major leader in OPEC, which has pushed oil prices up. Good for the Venezuelan economy, bad news for Bush.

[Edited to remove possibly libellous comments]

4. atestring

atestring New Member

I agree with Brother Pat!
    If we don't do something we will wish we had.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

You're being sarcastic aren't you? Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's worse than than, Matt. How are you? I have outlined some of the problem in the thread on the threat of Chávez. He is the Latin Mugabe. He has told squatters to build shanties on British property. He has called for Taiwan to be handed over to the Chinese. But worse of all is that he is giving safe haven to people trying to overthrow President Uribe in Colombia. This does not mention his human rights abuses of people missing, murdered in custody, or being held without charges, etc. If you read Spanish, there is a great deal more information about him available in Spanish.

http://espanol.yahoo.com/

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

See my comments on Venezuela above. Swings and roundabouts, old boy. It's no worse or better than most of the rest of Latin America and the US of A doesn't go fiddling around with the other countries. Oh, wait, I forgot, they do. But assassination does seem a bit beyond the pale.

[ETA - I'm fine by the way; no-one's tried to assassinate me recently! (Although, who knows, maybe 'Brother Pat' will issue a fatwah on me too!)]

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, you must know something about the British land being taken over by Chávez, or squatted upon by his direction. What makes Chávez trouble is his stirring up trouble in Colombia. I think that 3000 people a year have died in that internal Colombian war, which has lasted 41 years. Chávez is a real threat to the Colombian middle class, who are trying very hard to bring peace and a normal life back to Colombia and deal with the squalor.

9. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

He reminds me of Adolf during the 1930's -- trying to stir up hate against internal dissention and imagined external enemies, in order to consolidate his base among his supporters. If he follows Adolf's pattern, I can see him involved in a border war with Columbia.
    His alignment with Fidel should be concern enough.

Question is, what do we do about it? We have the economic strength to deprive him of export income, but that would push oil prices even higher. Since most of the American public (unreasonably) believes that Presidents have power over oil prices, this would work against Bush's already low poll numbers. Assassinate him? Counterproductive in the short and long run. Support the forces opposing him? Same problem. (Especially if done covertly, and that is later exposed.)

Perhaps the best solution at this point is to isolate him diplomatically, and prepare for the eventuality of military action. Poll numbers aside, we can't afford this cancer to spread in that hemisphere.

10. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

"Since most of the American public (unreasonably) believes that Presidents have power over oil prices,"

Actually bush is on record of doing exactly that
    people have apologized for him and made excuses
    for him..it is time for that to stop!

Gas Prices

Mr. Bush was critical of Al Gore in the 2000 campaign for being part of “the administration that's been in charge” while the “price of gasoline has gone steadily upward.” In December 1999, in the first Republican primary debate, Mr. Bush saidPresident Clinton “must jawbone OPEC members to lower prices.”

As gas topped a record level of $50 a barrel this week, Mr. Bush has shown no propensity to personally pressure, or “jawbone,” Mideast oil producers to increase output.

A spokesman for the president reportedly said in March that Mr. Bush will not personally lobby oil cartel leaders to change their minds

It would be fine if bush would retract that but
    he has not..so it stands..he said it..he meant it.

but feel free to apologize for him and give him
    a free pass.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Robertson is a nut, loon, goof, couple fries short of a happy meal. This is just the latest in a long line of nonsense streaming from his mouth.

What makes this so bad in my eyes is that he is saying this stuff in context of a "Christian" talk show. This makes all Christians look no better then the terrorists calling for the execution of various non-Islamic leaders. Do you really think terrorists are going to ignore these comments and not use them to motivate the masses?

12. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Actual video of Pats fatwa as someone mentioned..which seems to be the case , it will be interesting to hear what the White House has to say. PR wise they need to beat Chavez to the
    punch on this of Chavez wins a PR battle.

Pats fatwa

13. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

Mr. Bush has shown no propensity to personally pressure, or “jawbone,” Mideast oil producers to increase output.

Bush should not have made that claim during the campaign. Oil prices are a function of supply/demand, and tinged with fears or expectations of future supply distortions caused by political events. No amount of "jawboning" is going to have any affect on the price of oil, period.

14. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Well bush did not mention it in his short press
    conference the conservative pundits on the cable
    news shows ..pretty much distancing themselves from Robertson.

Pro-Chavez has responded first and is winning the
    Public Relations battle.

First Salvo

A Robertson spokeswoman, Angell Watts, said he would not do interviews Tuesday and had no statement elaborating on his remarks.

Chavez was believed to be in Cuba, but his whereabouts were unknown and no media access was announced.

In Caracas, pro-Chavez legislator Desire Santos Amaral accused Robertson of shedding his Christian values.

``This man cannot be a true Christian. He's a fascist,'' Santos said. ``This is part of the policies of aggression from the right wing in the North against our revolution.''

Santos said she thinks U.S.-Venezuelan relations could still improve but comments by ``charlatans and fascists'' like Robertson only get in the way.

Did the White House call Robertson and tell him
    to keep his reconstructionist mouth shut?
    One can only hope.

15. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, murdering a head of state is the answer?

One more time, to quote Bruce Springsteen:
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of."

Regards,
    BiR

16. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

So, murdering a head of state is the answer?

One more time, to quote Bruce Springsteen:
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of."

Regards,
    BiR
    </font>[/QUOTE]-------------------
    Define head of state.
    Hitler?
    Ho Chi Mihn (sp)?
    Stalin?
    Idi Amin?
    Could go on, but yea, I got no prob at all of assinations of these so called "Heads of State". I figured Springsteen would have a problem with it. Do you?

17. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

I think Pat needs the 6 second delay on his show or else be put out to pasture.

18. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, you are saying that murdering the leader of another country, or a "head of state" is justifiable? You didn't really say what you thought, so I thought I would ask.

And NO, I do not support murder. Read that quote by Springsteen again.....

Regards,
    BiR

19. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

How about reading the Bible. I think I remember reading something about MURDER being a SIN!

20. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.

Only exception is Jesus Christ.