1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Paul using sarcasm in I Corintians 4?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Squidward, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Squidward

Squidward Member

8 Already you have all you want! Already you have become rich! You have begun to reign—and that without us! How I wish that you really had begun to reign so that we also might reign with you!

9 For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like those condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to human beings.

10 We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes in a very scolding way.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarcasm – No. Irony – yes.

God blessed the Corinthian Church in wonderful ways - read about the spritiual gifts he gave them in chapter 12.

The church was in the middle of a flourishing economy with all the advantages of the Greek and Roman education.

“To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints …” (1 Corinthians 1:2a, ESV)

“I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge— even as the testimony about Christ was confirmed among you— so that you are not lacking in any gift, as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:4–8, ESV)

Paul compares the richness of the Corinthians with the state of the apostles, (both here and in chapter 9) and says, "Be imitators of me" (4:16).

Paul explains his motivation:

“I do it all for the sake of the gospel, that I may share with them in its blessings.” (1 Corinthians 9:23, ESV)

Rob

#3 Deacon, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

It is a reminder; No matter how much we're flourishing we should not forget those are suffering for the sake of the gospel. God is also with those who are suffering. Our prayer and our thoughts should be on them to.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I think that he was trying to show them that it was ultimate irony that he WAS an Apostle for christ, and was beaten/bruised/hungrey serving Christ, as contrasted to those 'Elite" saints who should have been living the life as a real saint of God would and suffer for it as paul did!

6. Squidward

Squidward Member

Thank you everyone. That's why I love this board. Better than a single commentator Bible, I like several thoughts. :)