1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Peter the sole possessor of keys on 1611 KJV Title page?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Concerning the 1611 title page, Derek Wilson asserted that “an interesting feature is the inclusion of Catholic imagery” (People’s Bible, p. 123). Gordon Campbell claimed: “The figure of Peter is strikingly Catholic: not only is he the sole possessor of the keys (whereas on the Coverdale cover all apostles have been issued with keys), but he is paired with Paul on either side of the godhead, which is the normal arrangement in Catholic altarpieces” (Bible, pp. 100-101).

Derek Wilson noted: “The apostles are shown with the traditional symbols of their martyrdom and, at the foot of the page, there is a drawing of a pelican in her piety (a heraldic device depicting a pelican feeding her young with her own blood), which Catholic convention employed to represent the sacrifice of Christ in the mass” (People’s Bible, p. 123).
    Alister McGrath observed: “There is a curious irony to this symbol. In the Middle Ages, the image of a pelican came to be linked with the Lord’s Supper or Mass, especially with the medieval ecclesiastical feast of Corpus Christi” (In the Beginning, p. 210). Benson Bobrick maintained that the 1611 title page has “a pelican (symbol of Christ) shown feeding her young with blood from her own breast” (Wide as the Waters, p. 252).

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    #2 rsr, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not surprising, considering the Church of England considers itself to be in Apostolic line just as the Eastern Orthodox Churches do. It just doesn't recognize the authority of the Bishop of Rome over it.

4. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the beginning the Anglican church was split by the Reformers and the Traditionalists. The former had the upper hand under the reign of Edward VI, but a compromise was imposed by Elizabeth — but the Traditionalists still had the upper hand. It was further strengthened under Stuart rule.

The Traditionalists inherited the panoply of medieval Roman Catholicism and adhered to many of those traditions. The Puritans — who opposed many Roman practices, such as wearing vestments, requiring wedding rings, certain times to bow during services and celebration of Christmas, to name a few — were in the minority except when Cromwell was in power.

It is interesting that Anglicanism was one of the few "reformed" movements to retain episcopacy. It is absent from Lutheranism and Calvinism. That is a result of its birth, which was at the insistence of a king who considered himself head of the church.

Bancroft supervised the translation of the KJV, and it is entirely in character that traditional themes would appear. However, it is not certain how much influence he had on the frontispiece because he died before publication. The frontispiece may reflect his influence or it may be a result of engravers steeped in traditional themes carried over from the past.

There is no doubt Bancroft was the prime enemy (except perhaps for James I) of the Puritans, who returned his scorn. Among the epitaphs offered by his enemies:

"Here Lyes Dick of Canterburie, suspected a Papist
    who liv’d a Machiavillan and dyde an Atheist."

"Heer lye’s my Lord’s Grace at six & at seaven
    And if I doe not lye his soule is in heaven
    I wish with my heart it may bee to his Leeking
    Since all the World know’s it Was never his seeking"

"Bancroft Was for Playes
    Lean Lent and holy-dayes
    But now under-goe’s their Doome:
    Had English Ladies store
    Yet kept open a Back dore
    To let in the Strumpet of Rome."

For the record, I do not think Bancroft was a Roman Catholic, since he persecuted them with rigor, although he may have shared a good bit of their theology. He was the king's man, and he would uphold the supremacy of the king over the church. Had James wanted to rejoin Rome, I'm not sure he would disagree. He made possible Laud, who pushed the Anglicans even closer to Rome before the English Civil War.The Anglicans never shook the affinity to Rome, which became clear when the Oxford Movement peeled off many clergy (like Henry Newman) in the 19th century. (I might add that, to the horror of the KJV-only folks, that it was clergy like B.F. Wescott who, though wrong on many things, upheld orthodox Protestantism within the Anglican church in the 19th century.)

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that aside, it's a really impressive of the engraver's art. No skimping there.

Of course, a Bible of such workmanship and size was prohibitively expensive, another reason the Geneva held on for so long.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ran across this interesting artwork on the title page from Calvin's Harmony of the Gospels. The OP is 'sounding the alarm' about (supposedly) Catholick images on the KJB's, I wonder what's to be made of this:

calv harm 2.jpg

7. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I assume that all the symbols would have been easily understood by educated readers of the day.

As to the KJV title page, I'm sure all the symbolism would have been understood by educated clergy and was a recycling of religious imagery that had been used for hundreds of years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed, you wouldn't know it from the presentation in the OP, but the cited symbols aren't unique to the KJB. I've seen them all in earlier English translations and Protestant Bibles of other languages.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and here we have a pelican in Edward's Bible:

jugge.jpg

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would that be Taverner's or the Great Bible?

BTW: The pelican, according to lore, gave its own blood to its young, thereby typifying the work of Christ in his church. While Catholics understand it as Transubstantiation, it is totally flexible toward any number of non-Catholic interpretations. Sometimes a pelican is just a pelican.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A revised Tyndale. See here, and page preceding, and following:

Illustrated History of the English Bible

Yes. Printer's mark of Alexander Arbuthnot, responsible for the first Bible (Geneva) published in Scotland (1579):

[​IMG]

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Covenant Presbyterian Church, St. Louis, Missouri (PCA)
    [​IMG]

13. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The engraver of the title page of the 1611 was Cornelis Boel.

Gordon Campbell wrote: "Boel was presumably a Catholic (the previous year he had made engravings for a life of Thomas Aquinas), as is apparent from his elevation of Peter, but he was alert to Protestant reservations about pictorial representation" (Bible: The Story of the KJV, p. 101).

A Roman Catholic engraver may have understood his own engravings with a different meaning that others with different views.

By the way, I acknowledge that different groups of people may give different meanings to the same symbol. It is KJV-only advocates who seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that the same symbol may be used or understood with different meanings as can be seen in their accusations about the symbol on the NKJV's title page.

14. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In which earlier Protestant Bibles have you seen Peter as the sole possessor of the keys?

Gordon Campbell claimed: “The figure of Peter is strikingly Catholic: not only is he the sole possessor of the keys (whereas on the Coverdale cover all apostles have been issued with keys), but he is paired with Paul on either side of the godhead, which is the normal arrangement in Catholic altarpieces” (Bible, pp. 100-101).

15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just had to chuckle recalling this thread, when I saw what Russell Moore and his pals are calling their new website:

The Pelican Project • Council

About The Pelican Project
    [​IMG]

16. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerome, in which earlier Protestant Bibles have you seen Peter as the sole possessor of the keys?

If this cited image is not found in other earlier Protestant Bibles, then your earlier statement may be partially incorrect or not true.