1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rapture the correct term?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At a pastors conference yesterday, Pastor George stated he will not the term "Rapture" partly beacuse of the etymology which orginated from the Vulgate of the Roman Catholics.

Wheter you are pre, post or A, trib, I would say we all believe that the word "rapture" is not in the Bible.

And that is the reason why Pastor George uses another term that is in the scripiture! Look at Hebrews 11:5

"By faith Enoch was translated :thumbs: that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God."

Enoch was translated, not raptured.

Thoughts,

Salty

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hesitate to use the term rapture because it is not really a scriptural term, as you said, and also because it implies a certain meaning that I do not see in the Bible - a two-part event, separated by years. I wouldn't use "translated" either because it is not used that way in the NT.

I guess it is hard to find a NT word for this because it is really a transient event ("in the twinkling of an eye"). More important is that we will "ever be with the Lord" (I forget the verse).

Maybe the best word would be "gathering", since that is in both OT and NT.

3. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

As Christians we have been translated on being born again. Colossians.

God took Enoch, wish He would take me. :)

#3 David Michael Harris, Jan 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I have no problem with using words that are not in the Bible as long as we don't claim they are--as people often do. I have no problem with the word "Rapture", because I am sure that it WILL be rapture to see Jesus.

Many Christians use the word "Trinity" even though it's not in the Bible, but then God IS a triune God.

Use whatever word suits you as long as you don't try to tell others they are wrong because they prefer a different word. That is one problem I have with some people who have the attitude that "I am always right, and you are wrong if you disagree with me." One thing I've learned in my nearly 47 years of walking the narrow road is that I am not always right. Unfortunately, many have never learned that fact about themselves.

In fact, I am often told how wrong I am for believing in a triune God, for believing in God at all, for believing in creation instead of evolution or theistic evolution, for not believing in ghosts or space aliens, and numerous other things I do or do not believe. The word of God is a "lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my pathway", and the Holy Spirit is my Guide, teacher, and much more as He points me to Jesus.

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Poor Pastor George, I guess no one had the heart to tell him that translated comes from the nasty Vulgate too.:tonofbricks:

Epistola Pauli ad Hebreos 11,5
    fide Enoch translatus est ne videret mortem et non inveniebatur quia transtulit illum Deus ante translationem enim testimonium habebat placuisse Deo

#5 Jerome, Jan 31, 2010
  6. David Michael Harris

You keep on that narrow path brother. We must move forward as convinced in our own minds. Trinity is spot on, any true Christian will know that. God created that's for sure, mechanics is difficult but understanding it was not why we were called to be Christians. God has called us to His Eternal Glory. Rejoice.

Saved.

And tell others this wonderful good news.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opps, I think I put words in Georges mouth - I dont think he used the word "Vulgate" specifically. He may have infered that, but I need to clarify that.

I cant believe it, its not even February and I already made my first mistake :smilewinkgrin:

Salty

8. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difference between Trinity and rapture, however. All the things implied in the first term are found in the Bible (though the older "Tri-unity" was a better fit). "Rapture", by contrast, is a loaded word - most of what it is loaded with is not in the Bible.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The word rapture is the english translation of the latin word rapio, meaning caught up.

1Th*4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

We get the word from the Latin Vulgate. Rapture means to be caught up, as in the above verse.

So yes, rapture is a correct term.

10. David Michael Harris

For me rapture brings thoughts of great joy and release.

11. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==While I don't think it matters what one calls the event we know as the rapture, "Pastor George" does not make a good argument here.

First, simply because the term is not in the Bible does not mean we should not use it. The term "rapture", like the term "trinity", is not in the Bible. However both terms describe a Biblical teaching. We should judge these topics on the teaching of Scripture not on their label. Does the Bible teach a catching away (rapture) of believers or not? That should be our concern, not what we call it.

Second, the origin of the term "rapture" is not important. English words have all sorts of origins. What matters is the teaching behind the label, by the term. That the term has connection to the Vulgate should not be an issue. And this is coming from a person who believes the Roman Catholic Church is a dangerous cult.

==That is a perfectly good label for the event. I have used that term before, I also use the phrase "the catching away of Christians", and the term "rapture". It is the teaching that is important to me, not the label we put on it. I think the term "rapture" does a good job explaining what we mean.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Absolutely! There are two events I look forward to and I don't know which will come first: death and rapture. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy my life and I pray the Lord blesses me with many more years on His earth. However the moment I see my Lord, this earthly life will fade quickly. So whether it is through rapture or death I look forward to seeing the Lord Jesus Christ. I look forward to meeting Christians from all ages (famous and the not so famous). I look forward to seeing loved ones and friends who have passed on. I even look forward to seeing some of my K9 friends who have passed (yes, I believe they will be there). So the very idea of rapture brings me the same thoughts of great joy and release. No more sin, no more trials, no more asthma, no more death!

"O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting? The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus" -1Cor 15:55-57

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good post Amy. Thanks.

(although I don't really understand everything I know about 'the rapture', to me, translate or gather, would also be acceptable synonymns)

#13 kyredneck, Jan 31, 2010
  14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Since there is no such thing as the "pre-trib rapture" taught in Scripture the term is meaningless.

15. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes...................

17. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I know there's a difference. I wasn't saying they are the same word or mean the same thing. I meant that while neither word is in the Bible (not the King James anyway), the teachings of both ARE.

Apparently I'm not expressing myself well, since people keep accusing me of saying things I'm not saying or don't mean in what I write. Maybe I should just give up, surrender to everyone else's superiority of knowledge and bow out. I'm obviously not contributing anything worthwhile.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Not true. There are some arrogant people here who think they have all the answers.

Keep contributing. We need you!

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take me with you, jon, please take me with you.
    I'll be a good chimp, I promise.
    [​IMG]

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

If we're going to avoid words because they're transliterations, then we need to avoid Jehovah, Christ, Baptize, Adam, and a whole long list of other words. Heck, we should avoid the word "Bible" because it's a transliteration of "Biblos", and "Scripture" because it's a transliteration of "Scriptura".