1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rapture the correct term?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Proof the rapture is immanent! We agree! :laugh:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Does that mean we should also avoid using "Johnv" :tear: :laugh: :applause:

3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I love you too, sister in Christ.

I don't know how many people here have called me arrogant. Why is that? Is it fair to be judging like that?

4. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I think it may be the goatee, unless you have a long chin!:laugh::tonofbricks:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't see where you were called that...guilty conscience? ;)

#25 webdog, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2010
  6. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool! Lets just sling insults.

Or you could follow the thread, seeing who responded to whom.
    Or you could just stay out of it.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or you could just realize I said that facetiously. Oh well. You must be a jolly person to be around...

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hah! maybe it is the goatee. I know. I'll change the picture!

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I didn't call you anything. I was making a general statement.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently besides being grouchy he did not do what he accused me of...following along in this thread.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I keep telling people ot stop using me, but they just keep coming back!

12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly what I was referring to, and why that word is less than helpful. This is not mere niggling about words. Many of the passages in the Bible that are supposedly rapture references are simply pointing to Christ's return. But others are not "rapture" passages at all, but refer to the events of AD 70.

13. Rev. George Burkinshaw

Part 1 rapture

Hello I am Pastor Burkinshaw the Pastor that Bob Teachout posted about on this sight a few days ago. Brother Bob came to our yearly winter revival by invitation from me and then heard me preaching to other Pastors at our revival that are of similar doctrinal belief and position as us on the word of God! From your posts it is obvious that there are Christians hear that hold to different doctrines and beliefs than we hold at Calvary, which is your liberty and our liberty in the Republic of America. However that wonderful liberty we have might suffer strong rebuke at the Judgment Seat of Christ, if we are in error of the truth of God's word. 2Co 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. I would like to make you aware of our belief and practice in the scriptures. I have been exposed to you through a surprise not even knowing of this website or its existence until after I was posted hear and then made aware of my sudden infamy on this website. This is not displeasing to me, however it is most proper to me that I present myself and my church as we are. We are a local Christian church living by faith before the lord Jesus Christ and men with full faith in the salvation of the Lord Jesus Christ and the faithfulness of his word. Ps 119:130 ¶ The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple. We at Calvary are a faith based Bible believing Baptist Church as this is what we believe God requires of us to please Him. Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him. My ministry does not permit me the time to use the internet very much so it will be very rare that I post hear other than to give you all a standing invitation to come and visit us at our special events if you would like! Pr 18:24 A man that hath friends must shew himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. At Calvary we believe the word of God by faith, and that with God all things scriptural are possible! Mr 10:27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible. The reason I said scriptural, is that broad, general and all encompassing scriptures are always clarified by other narrowing scriptures. Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Yes, all things scriptural, righteous and Godly things are possible with God, yet it is impossible for God to do some things such as to sin or to lie because he is Holy! Tit 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; We believe that God can scripturally give us his word by inspiration! 2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: We believe that God can scripturally preserve his word trough divine providence! Ps 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. 7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation forever. 8 The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted; We believe that God can scripturally restore it where man has destroyed or corrupted it. Jer 36:27 Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying, 28 Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoiakim the king of Judah hath burned. 29 And thou shalt say to Jehoiakim king of Judah, Thus saith the LORD; Thou hast burned this roll, saying, Why hast thou written therein, saying, The king of Babylon shall certainly come and destroy this land, and shall cause to cease from thence man and beast? 30 Therefore thus saith the LORD of Jehoiakim king of Judah; He shall have none to sit upon the throne of David: and his dead body shall be cast out in the day to the heat, and in the night to the frost. 31 And I will punish him and his seed and his servants for their iniquity; and I will bring upon them, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and upon the men of Judah, all the evil that I have pronounced against them; but they hearkened not. 32 Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

14. Rev. George Burkinshaw

Part 2 rapture

Simply put we preach faith in the Lord Jesus Christ through the faithful eternal word of God! Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. We believe that God gave his word by inspiration, to the prophets of old, then preserved his word through the faithful saints and now the faith of God comes to us through the hearing of the preserved word of God! Joh 8:47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God. We at Calvary Bible Baptist believe by faith in the word of God that stands forever (Isa 40:8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever) In taking a strong position for God and his word Christian are often reviled by other Christians, the world, the flesh and the devil. This does not trouble us as much as it often troubles others so let me say if it be that on the one side we should be transuded by pharisaical Christians at home or abroad, who might malign us in our faith in the word, because we are poor instruments to make God's Holy Truth to be known among the lost and our brethren in our contending of love for Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior then we accept this lot for the Lords sake and encourage others to also earnestly contend in faith! Jude 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. Of if we should also be maligned by self-conceited Brethren, who must have run their own ways and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves and hammered on their anvil we may rest secure, supported within by the truth in the innocence of a good conscience, having believed God in the simplincy and integrity of his revelation. (2Co 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.) We believe in the inspired originals that have long passed away, were preserved by providence in the Syrian, Byzantine text often called the received text of the Textus Receptus and preserved and restored for us in the Authorized Version of 1611. The proof of the providence of God in the preservation of his word is born witness by the blood of martyr's, the missionary work, and revivals of the Apostles, the Paulicains, the Waldensians, the Bogomiles, the Brethren, the Huguenots whose lineage bears witness to Beza's receptus, Bombergs Receptus, the Geneva Bible, Tyndales Bible, Stephanus, Erasmus, Luther's Bible, Coverdale, the Polyglot Old Testament and Ben Chayims Old Testament! The Authorized version represents the restored purified text that is born witness to by the reformation of the church of brotherly love. Re 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. It represented by and testified to by the work of the missionaries and evangelists of the reformation throughout the old world, the new world and the entire world. Ps 119:11 ¶ Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. William Carey, Hudson Taylor, David Brainerd, John Paton, Adoniram Judson, Robert Morrison, John Paton, Robert Moffat, David Brainerd, David Livingstone, Cartwright, the Wesley's Spurgeons, Moody, Finney, Sunday and many others that time does not permit us to remember hear today. This is the Bible of the reformation, this is the Bible that all other Bibles compare themselves to, this is the word of God read to the earth from the moon on Apollo eight Christmas Eve 1968! Heb 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: Only one Book has been read from the heavens to the earth and it will always stand for all eternity that it was the Authorized Version first heard from the heavens bearing witness to its power, not recognized by those without its discernment! Ec 8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?

15. Rev. George Burkinshaw

part 3 rapture

We at Calvary simply without apology to any man, devil or brother in Christ as free men bought by the Blood of Jesus Christ reject completely the Egyptian lineage of Manuscripts founded in the human intellect of Origen Adamantius of Alexandria in his revision work the Hexapla. The list I set before you holds in it both saved Christians as well as many lost men. It is not to be taken a judgment of salvation or Christianity of those men, but of a corrupted lineage of manuscripts and very often corrupted doctrine due to exalting the intellect of man over faith in the word of God! Jer 8:8 How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. 9 The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the LORD; and what wisdom is in them? The names associated with this line of corrupted Bibles are Philo of Alexandria, Clement of Rome, Pamphilus, Eusebius, Constantine, Augustine, Jerome, Irenaeus, Napoleon, Louis XIV, The Hapsburgs, Loyola, Thomas Aquinas, the council of Trent, Tully, Wallenstein, Bloody Mary, Charlemagne, the Jesuits Priests, Griesbach, Lachmaan, Tregelles, Weise, Westcott, Hort, Light foot, Schaff, Ellicott, Moffat, Goodspeed, Hilter, Gregory, Warfield, A.T. Roberson, Mussolini, Thieme, Zodiates, Castro, Franco, Machen, Cardinal Spellman, Fulton Sheen, the Lockman foundation, Hengstenberg, Gloag, Hackett, the National Council of Christian, churches, the World Council of churches, the Federal Council of Churches, most of the Vatican leadership, the Faculty members of almost every conservative college or university in the United States. They all have accepted the six columned work of Adamantius Origen who completed the first critical work done by a man who claimed to believe in the Fundamentals. He freely corrected the scriptures where he disagreed with them, exactly as Dr. Neal, Dr. Custer, Dr. Weniger, Dr Wilbur Smith, Dr Thieme and scores of other do today! Scholars still refer to Origen's fifth Column in his work as the LXX, and since the LXX, they quote contains the New Testament (See any Septuagint Concordance) you are given the impression that Origen after the time of Christ was working from a Pre-Christian Greek O.T. No such thing is true: the first Greek Old Testaments to appear ,appeared in the Hexapla of Origen, more than 60 years after the destruction of Jerusalem, and the manuscripts quoted by Howson, Rendall, Robertson, Thieme, Zodiates, Weise, Bleek, Knowing, Blass, Vincent, Thayer, etc. were written more than 200 years after the New Testament was written. That simply means the Greek Old Testament Septuagint quoted to correct the New Testament is bogus as well as the Codex Sinaiticus and all the manuscripts of the cloister, the urn, the locked door, the secret committee and the Vatican Library. Ro 3:1 ¶ What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision? 2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God. 3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightiest be justified in thy sayings, and mightiest overcome when thou art judged.

16. Rev. George Burkinshaw

post 4 rapture

Now please do not malign me if you disagree with me, or the infallible word of God, or the facts of history, that is your prerogative please find Godly grace and disagree with me in a mature and agreeably fashion! Ro 12:18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. We still live in a country where we are free to believe what we will, that is your prerogative but we do not want to act like the Taliban do we? I do not say nor do I believe that the many who may disagree with me on this issue of manuscript evidence are not Christians. I simply believe they got cheated in their education, the very same way my two son were cheated with their secular educations in aerospace engineering, biology and chemistry! Every year for five years the evolutionists tried to teach them the error of the world, but they are strong in the faith of their faithful word! Tit 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers. Christians fail to comprehend that education is a good and dangerous thing and it is not the god or the cure all, it is made out to be! Education in the word of God or pure academics such as reading, writing, math and factual science that is demonstrable is good for edification! Da 1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans. However all philosophy in theory or speculation is used by the world to undermine the Christians faith in God! Col 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. In the field of science today that which was once dominated by men of God, like Sir Isaac Newton is now under the influence of infidels like Richard Dawkins making science a very dangerous arena for a Christian without the faithful word! Ge 3:1 ¶ Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? The world, the flesh and the devil are all void of faith and would never give us an infallible word to guide us and save us they would that we as them should live without the word! We however have been born again by the incorruptible word. 1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. So we have rightly chosen to remain stead fast in our faith in the living word of the living God, in the humble faith of his power and majesty! 1Co 2:5 That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. 6 ¶ Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: 7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory 8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory! We joyfully and strongly reject the Alexandrian Hesychian family of manuscripts which is the lineage of the counter reformation. 1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord. At Calvary we reject the minority text for the majority text of the reformation knowing that the oldest papyrus supports the majority text over the vellum of the Codex Sinaiticus, and Vaticanus.

17. Rev. George Burkinshaw

post 5 rapture

What most Christians are not aware of is that translating Greek into English is not the issue, but where you are getting your Greek text from. There are basically four groups of manuscripts called families. The New A.S.V. and the new R.S.V. come from the Egyptian family of manuscripts, called Alexandrian or Hesychain, the Old Latin manuscripts are called the western family and agree with the Syrian family of manuscripts, this Syrian family is called the received text or Textus Receptus. Did you ever read your Bible? De 26:5 And thou shalt speak and say before the LORD thy God, A Syrian ready to perish was my father, and he went down into Egypt, and sojourned there with a few, and became there a nation, great, mighty, and populous: I know it is just another meaningless coincidence that you cannot prove anything by but when you go with the A.V. they become legion!! Why call them families of manuscripts and if they be a family then they must have a father the Syrian text is the majority text and is in agreement with the oldest text the western old Latin! Last the caesarian family created to cover up the fact that there are too many manuscripts bearing witness to the King James Greek text! So why would A.V. believers use a word from the Jesuit Ribera? Jesuit Francisco Ribera (1537-1591) " assigned much of the Apocalypse to ancient Rome, the rest he restricted to a literal three and a half years' reign of an infidel Antichrist, who would bitterly oppose and blaspheme the saints just before the second advent. He taught that Antichrist would be a single individual, who would rebuild the temple in Jerusalem, abolish the Christian religion, deny Christ, be received by the Jews, pretend to be God, and conquer the world--all in this brief space of three and one-half literal years!" Here we see that Ribera "laid the foundation for the great structure of Futurism with a large amount of truth, but he also helped to turn the reformation away from the fact that the Roman system was the system most of the reformers believed was the Antichrist system. They believed the Roman pontiff to be the Antichrist. Then, wonder of wonders, in the nineteenth century this Jesuit scheme of interpretation came to be adopted by a growing number of Protestants, until today's Futurism, amplified and adorned with the rapture, has dramatically changed the entire sense of the Blessed hope! Tit 2:11 ¶ For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 15 ¶ These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee. The generally accepted belief of the Fundamentalist wing of popular Protestantism is I cannot wait for the rapture so I can escape the antichrist and get out of living any kind of sanctified life!" That is not the correct or proper sense of the blessed hope. Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: The correct sense of the blessed hope is for us to be translate into Godly Christians that have purified themselves. 1Jo 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1Jo 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. One wonders how could Protestantism forsake its main foundation of prophetic interpretation and adopt a Jesuit counterfeit? How did this happen? And what is it all about? Today many Christians are preaching about our wiliness to die for the lord Jesus Christ and rightly so but how could that ever be if they will not learn to live for him in a Godly way? 1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; 1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, The problem with the futurist interpretation of Ribera is that it leaps over the immense era of papal dominance, and crowds all the antichrist prophecies into the far distant future leaving the Papacy to escape it demise from the reformation. How does burning men who disagree with you reveal the love of Jesus Christ? Jer 22:3 Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place. Did you know that Tomas Cranmer was burned at the stake for his testimony against the prophesied Papal Antichrist, just as were Hooper, Ridley, Latimer, Bradford and many others no wonder they believed the Pope was the Antichrist, have you ever read foxes book of myrter? You should read if you have not get a real liberal education read all side's to an issue. Pr 18:17 ¶ He that is first in his own cause seemeth just; but his neighbour cometh and searcheth him. Now I have many good Catholic friends and relatives and I love and appreciate them greatly, it is the doctrines of the system they have trusted that the scriptures strongly disagree with. Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. Never the less it is there God given liberty to believe as they will and true Godly reciprocity should grant to me the very same! Mt 7:12 ¶ Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets. It is my encouragement to my brethren, that if we say that we are true Bible believers let us prefer Bible words and the Bible sense over the teachings of men. Ec 12:10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth. It is my thought that the failure of this is now diminishing the body of Christ as it is obvious many saints do not even know how to conduct themselves in the house of God. 1Ti 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth. The issue that we were dealing with that day was cell phones in the church services! We all have liberty and are all free men in Christ, but charity is having concern for other's and cell phones permitted to the disturbing of the church services certainly do not edify the saints.1Co 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. If a Christian is led by the spirit of Jesus Christ they should have no trouble to turn off their cell phone, or better leave it in the car or at home if the church pastor desired to run the services in decency and order.1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; but many today selfishly desire their liberty to the discomfort of others not very Christian or charitable! If you might have questions for me or you further desire to communicate with me I may be reached at the biblical view website www.thebibicalview.com. I am very sorry for spelling or grammar errors as I am but a poor instrument to make God's Holy Truth known and walk in the spirit only by his glorious grace! God bless have a good day enjoy biting and devouring if you must! Ga 5:13 ¶ For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another. 16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB! :)

To be brutally honest...I don't think anyone will read that. It needs to be broken up into paragraphs with a space between...my eyes crossed trying to read it.

19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paragraphs are your friends.

Like this. :thumbs:

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Please...[​IMG]...put...in...[​IMG]paragraphs...[​IMG]