1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Reformed/Calvinist Theology Affecting your Church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ReformedBaptist, Jul 16, 2008.

?
  1. Yes, there is an obvious impact in my church. I am hearing such things from the pulpit.

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Yes, there is a noticable impact in my church, but its not often preached.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Yes. Our church has become Reformed/Calvinist now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Maybe. I do have conversations about it, but it doesn't seem to be having any real impact.

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. No, as far as I am aware, Reformed/Calvinist theology is not affecting my church.

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  6. Uhhh...what is Reformed/Calvinist theology?

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I few men from my church were discussing the affect of Reformed/Calvinist theology in Baptist churches, and to what extent the impact may be. This poll and discussion is obviously directed toward Baptist churches that did not begin as Reformed/Calvinist congregations. Thanks for participating.

#1 ReformedBaptist, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We've had conversations about it, but I don't have a problem with certain aspects of Reformed Theology so it doesn't bug me.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not understand what you mean by "affecting". Is it taught? Well, we're going to be going through Romans 9 over the next 6 weeks so it will be affecting us in that we're going to be having some excellent teaching on the subject. But is it negatively affecting? Maybe that's what you're meaning? I don't see how that can happen.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "affecting" our church. I'm assuming you mean that it is being explicitly taught by leaders....in which case, no, it is not being affected by our church.

It has been mentioned from the pulpit, but only when discussing the mystery of God's sovereignty, about how we cannot fully grasp the ways He works, even when we have systematic ways of attempting to understand Him. Although they sometimes prove helpful, they are not flawless. These are my words, but I've heard our pastor speak on the issue once or twice, not teaching it, but just mentioning it in a similar way.

5. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

I guess I am lost what is Calvinism? I love the Lord and spend time in the word and in prayer and attend church so I guess I lead a "simple life" so to speak lol.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not reformed, but we have a few people in our church who are. It does not effect our fellowship or our church.

7. ReformedBaptist

By affecting I meant if, to whatever degree, Reformed/Calvinist doctrine was being taught, was their a change in the congregation? Is your church becoming more reformed?

Also, I had a curiosity about the claim that there is a resurgence among Baptists toward Reformed theology. I was wondering if folks were seeing this in their own congregations.

8. ReformedBaptist

Calvinism is a word referring to some specific areas of teaching that relate to the subject of soteriology (the study of the doctrine of salvation).

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I don't know enough about Reformed/Calvinist theology to know the answer to the question. I do know the Baptist churches in Florida are too different from the Michigan Baptist churches for my taste.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

* sigh *:praying:

11. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    spoken like every other retired to florida from michigan person :laugh: You will never know how often we hear that and how often we want to reply, "Then go back!" :laugh:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Two of our elders are calvinists (including the Sr. Pastor), two are not. It has not had an impact one way or another on our church. Besides the subtle undertones in some of the sermons, you would never guess the two calvinist elders held to that view.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In our small church we have four, maybe five avowed Calvinists. Three of them are deacons. Our pastor is not Calvinist as far as I can tell, but holds a very high view of God's sovereignty.

We C's talk among ourselves, but do not actively promote Calvinism. We are all teachers in the church, and have preached from the pulpit occasionally. Our sotereiology may have an impact on our teaching, of course.

But so far it has not produced any problem in our congregation.

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

What do you mean by this statement?

15. RustySword

RustySword Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As is the case with many of the Southern Baptist churches in the Southwest, our church seems to lean more toward Dispensationalism (although most in the congregation may not be familiar with the term).

I still don't have a feel for just how many of the people in our church believe in individual election.

16. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I'm sorry if you have a problem with me having a preference. It's what I got used to up north since I was a teen, and I'm too old to change and see no reason to change doctrinal beliefs, or even personal preferences that I've had for 45 years. I'm just too set in my ways--be they right or wrong.

Tom, I would go back if it wasn't so COLD up there. I don't miss the cold, the snow, the freezing rain, the bitter winds that pierce right through you and chill you to the bone. Even the summers up there aren't warm enough most of the time for me. I have thought about moving back up there, though, so that I can find a church I like.

I can't find a church down here that uses a King James Bible, which is the only one I like. Also, none of the churches need my talent as a singer and song leader down here, but I can find all kinds of churches up north that need it. Yes, if it wasn't for the extreme cold up there, I would definitely consider going back.

#16 Jon-Marc, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2008
  17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

At least you're honest....whether you are right or wrong.