1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Rick Perry as Christian as He Thinks He Is?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Crabtownboy, Aug 15, 2011.

1. 1 Timothy 3:3-9

1 Timothy 3:3-9 New Member

Very true Don! Anyone of us skimming the book of James would realize how futile and wrong judgment is. Even God looking at one man through the eyes of eternity and with the Grace of salvation given, I would believe does not give it a second thought.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Christian does he say he is?

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the article, the author believes Perry says he's a serious, devout Christian.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ( thanks! )

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I think the real question is, "How Christian does the author think he is?"

6. Walguy

Walguy Member

Actually, the REAL question would be, "How Christian does the author think PERRY thinks he is?"

7. 1 Timothy 3:3-9

1 Timothy 3:3-9 New Member

Seems like this would be a better poll not discussion.:tongue3:

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read the article?

9. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

After reading the article by Ms Townsend and then checking out what she believes in, I have come to the conclusion that, IMNSHO, she should be questioning her own beliefs. She supports a party that believes and defends the murder of babies in their mothers womb. Worse than that she also believes in this murderous act. She has lost any and all credibility with me.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dont candy coat it John....tell us what you really think! LOL

Actually, I quite agree:thumbsup:

11. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Perry is a pretender. He pretends to be a "tea party" darling. His record (fruit) shows he's an establishment corporatist.

He pretends to believe in state sovereignty. His record (fruit) shows he's a water boy for international corporate interests.

He pretends to be concerned over your health. His record (fruit) shows he's a water boy for big pharma corporate interests and doesn't care how many little girls get sick or die to enrich the medical industrial complex, and himself by lending his support of course.

My question . . . do "good" Christians force little girls into having dangerous toxins (read the warning labels) injected into their bodies? For profit and or political gain? How bitter a fruit is that?

#31 poncho, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2011
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not saying he does believe this; I'm just wondering.

That is a quote from the article, but is it your own question? If so, I have asked you a facsimile thereof many times with no answer from you.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Here we go again.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note that the verse says "we used to give you this order ........" It was Paul's order and not God's. It was a good idea in that Paul was a worker and naturally did not want to be seen as a freeloader by the people he was staying with and to the people he was preaching/teaching/talking to. I have no problem with the idea concerning those who can work, but not if a person is ill and cannot work. But this verse cannot be honestly be made into a doctrine for all instances.

So, it is not a rule from God, but a good idea of Paul's.

Also remember a the last judgement one of the comments will be:

"I was hungry and ye fed me." There is not mention of work in the comments that are in the last judgement.

15. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, since it was in the Bible, it is both Paul's and God's. But your wrong view of biblical inspiration and inerrancy is for another thread.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I beg to differ in that even Paul does not make that claim. There are places where he says 'This is God speaking' and there are places where he says 'This is me [Paul] speaking.

In the case under discussion he says we and this means he, Paul, is speaking but not speaking for God. If Paul had felt it was from God he would have said so very plainly. To try to say that it is from God as well as Paul is to make a very liberal interpretation of this verse. A liberal interpretation is to try to make the Bible say something that it does not say. I would say in this case that I am taking the conservative interpretation taking the Bible as it says.

17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Wow, I loved the way Crabby twisted the scripture to support abortion and got banned for a while and now he's doing the same thing to support a false social gospel.

I do understand that not everyone who receives government assistance are bums. But, many have developed a sense of entitlement. They won't work. They won't get an education. They leech off the hard working. We have no obligation to support them. It's too bad we have too many folks like Crabby whose twist scripture to justify stealing from those who work to support those who won't.

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep telling yourself that. You may actually believe it yourself, but no one else does except the other in house leftists.

Actually Paul is making a stronger stand for Biblical inerrancy that you are willing to admit. Some of what Paul said about issues were quotes of what Jesus said. The others were what he said. He was equating his words authority and innerrancy with what Jesus said.

You have made it very convenient for yourself to mismiss what anyone says because "Jesus didn't say it." It is a convenient and wrong way of covering your own unbelief in an innerrant Bible.

19. sag38

sag38 Active Member

You have made it very convenient for yourself to mismiss what anyone says because "Jesus didn't say it." It is a convenient and wrong way of covering your own unbelief in an innerrant Bible.

I think it's called "red letter" liberalism. They are an impossible lot to deal with in that they feel entitled to pick and choose. Wishey/Washy is an even better description.

20. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your memory is bad. I have never supported abortion. I have said numerous times in the past that I do not support abortion. You should check your facts and memory for accuracy before making insulting statements that are not true. I will accept an apology.

Interesting rant, but off topic. I simply am taking the Bible as it says and not twisting it to try to make it say something that it does not say. Paul says, we. He does not say God. So I believe Paul meant Paul. Even Paul say this in some places with and I ... here he is saying we. We means we and not God.

Where in the Bible does it say we should not help those in need, either personally or through agencies, governmental or otherwise?

Remember:

I see no qualifiers here restricting this to just individuals. Corporately we can do much more than individually. Am I so pernicious that I do not want to help my fellow man/women in need? NO?

Am I so filled with hatred that I begrudge helping others? NO!

Am I so hard hearted that I do not care when others are hurt or ill or hungry and cannot receive help? NO!

Does God approve of this attitude? NO!

Luke 24:25

Do these verses not give us pause and make us wonder "Am I pleasing God with the use of the material things, the money, that I am blessed with? Are these material things really from God or sent as a temptation from the evil one?

I do not know about you, but I ponder this often.