1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is salvation a means or an end?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Dec 22, 2010.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I may be wrong Luke, and I am SURE you WILL correct me, but I sense hints of it often, and I am confident that you have said something to the effect somewhere, I am just not skilled enough with technology skills to locate things.

Sometimes I wonder, if you are not simply just a very bright young man enjoying yanking some chains as an intellectual exercise.

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I see you responded in a detailed fashion but it is hard to differentiate your words from mine.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is not it.

I think your idea that God's motive is LOVE is askew.

LOVE has an object.
    If love for man is God's primary motive then MAN has intrinsic value which draws such love as displayed at Calvary.

Answer this question:

WHY does God LOVE man?

Is man so loveable?

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

How do we know He didn't/hasn't? :D We humans like to pretend we are the end all be all of God's creative inclinations but the scripture teaches just the opposite.

Actually, I believe sin existed before mankind. Was it not the sin of pride that caused Lucifer to be cast from heaven? If the angels were capable of sin, then sin existed. Their definition of sin is the same as ours: disobedience to God. I believe that for reasons of His own, that He hasn't made clear to mankind, God allowed man (whom He made in His own image) to be tempted toward sin. He didn't create sin, but He allowed it.

5. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

He did will it. That is Calvinism.

God worketh ALL things after the counsel of his own will.

6. quantumfaith

Because, "GOD IS LOVE" and it is His sovereign right to do so. And He CHOSE to be consistent with HIS own nature. :)

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

He did will what? Sin? Willing it and allowing it are closer to the right idea than creating it. I reject the notion that God created sin. (this is another one of those things I don't believe has been made clear to man)

WAIT????? You didn't just call me a Calvinist did you????? :eek: Cause the only thing I hate worse than being called Arminian is Calvinst! ;) :laugh:

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

No Calvinist would say that God "created" sin- most arminians I know would not say God willed it.

But he did will it.

9. quantumfaith

Well, I am going to "Choose" to have a Merry Christmas. I hope everyone else here will either do the same or be predestinated to do so.

God Bless Us Everyone.

10. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he was made sin for us.