1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is salvation available?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jan 16, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe you mean to say "Calvin's own words out of context"

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can agree with that.
    This is Calvinism as well.

You need to do better proving your point on this one.

You don't understand basic grammar. This does not say you are chosen during your lifetime and that would directly contradict Scriptures like Ephesians 1:4-5

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, yes, you believe a Christian can be held responsible and accountable for others going to hell, but no, you have no scripture to support it. You really, really think God has entrusted you with eternity as it pertains to others, that something you could say or fail to say or do or fail to do, some act of commission or omission on your part could result in someone being tortured for infinity?

It's odd, being released from that awful man-imposed burden was a huge source of joy for me when I came to embrace the doctrines of Sovereign Grace but now I come across supposed proponents of Sovereign Grace that believe it without pause or scripture to support it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. RipponRedeaux

RipponRedeaux Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You err, not knowing the Scriptures Van. Haven't you read Matt. 11?

In Matthew 11:20 it says :
    Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent.

In verse 21 (also Luke 10:20) it states :
    Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you...
    Verse 23 :
    And you Capernaum...

In all these places Jesus performed miracles, yet many who witnessed them did not believe in him. Think about Pharisees who saw him work miracles yet despised him.

No, you are painfully wrong Van. Seeing His miracles did not lead many to believe in Him and repent.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    The message of the cross is essential to the fundamentals of the Gospel.

"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing." (1 Cor. 1:18)

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. (1 Cor. 2:14)

Your ideas are at direct variance with the Bible Van.

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes I do speak from experience. Many before you,and perhaps more after you will seek to blame God for mans sin.
    Many like you misquote Calvinists and Calvin himself....out of context quotes making yourself out to be a Calvin ventriloquist. Throw in the occasional"in the greek"..which is almost always not accurate.
    Your hatred of the actual teaching causes you to lash out in frustration as everyone else seems to get it.
    You and other religious persons make up a system and religion that does what you want it to do.
    We understand having seen it many times.
    The "Reformed Theology " is derived from scripture that you despise .
    That is why you get all bent when Reformed brothers move right through your offered verses as there are no non Reformed verses in the bible.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It seems like that to any who cannot grasp the teaching.Every right minded believer knows why the gospel is to be preached.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. RipponRedeaux

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea about the distinctions you have made about "My sheep" and "of my sheep."

Christ is both the gate (whoever enters through Christ will be saved) and the good shepherd. He is the shepherd of the sheep. They know him and follow him. They do not recognize the voice of strangers. His sheep will never follow follow a stranger. Christ has laid down his life for the sheep. He has various sheep folds, but one great flock with Jesus as the good shepherd.

Humanity is composed of two groups --the sheep and the goats. The sheep are his own --believers, the goats do not belong to him. They are the lost who will be consigned to everlasting torment. Read Matthew 25:31 to 46 for an elaboration.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am very much in my right mind :Biggrin

10. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, sorry but it actually IS God's plan to use people like us to do His work. Like I said, God is sovereign so if you fail he won't be taken by surprise and have to figure out what to do next. The situation will be taken care of - don't worry. But if someone disobeys and fails God and if that doesn't bother them they need to examine themselves to see if they even are Christians. My first post on this thread listed examples of people who undertook huge effort and personal sacrifice to see people get saved. And they were Calvinists. You come on here and some others agree and act like that is some kind of aberrant theology. You need some serious self examination.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need some serious self-examination if you think you had anything to do with your own eternal destiny, let alone anyone else's.

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From birth to 12 years of age.
    God's word says I was saved when He decided to make me a vessel of mercy, my friend.
    He chose me in Christ before the foundation of the world.

I only came to that knowledge in 1978 when I heard the word of my Saviour, and through His word by studying it for the past 44 years, most of it within the past 20 years or so.
    I'd never heard the word of God, Christ crucified for sinners, actually preached before I was 12 years old.

When I did, I immediately knew that it was true;
    I never had to be convinced, never paused long enough to choose whether or not to believe it, SBG.

#112 Dave G, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  13. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do, in our hearts.
    God has to open our hearts in order for us to listen to His words and believe them ( Acts of the Apostles 16:14 ).

14. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never said I did. But I do see a lot of God's sovereignty in my salvation using very ordinary people who were interested in serving and thought it mattered. If you have gone so far with the determinism that you think that what you do doesn't matter then I'm not kidding, you really need to stop and think. William Carey gave everything to start the modern missionary movement, especially to India, and you know what - he did it. Does God get the glory? Yes. But Carey desired it with all his heart, and put everything into that goal. Satan would love it if as Calvinists, we would get all our theological ducks in a row and then sit around smugly pronouncing woe upon those poor suckers who God chose not to save instead of doing what God has graciously allowed us to participate in.

15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one can resist the Lord when He purposes to do something ( Job 9:12, Job 42:2, Psalms 33:10, Psalms 115:3, Daniel 4:35, Romans 9:19-20 ).

If He purposes to save someone, then He saves them.
    If He decides to leave someone in their sins and reserve them to everlasting punishment, then He does that.
    If He decides to create one person and shown them His grace, while creating another person and not show them His grace ( Romans 9:14-24 ) and justly punishes them for willfully-committed sins that we know the punishment for ( Romans 1:32 ), then He has that right.

He has mercy and compassion on whom He will ( Romans 9:14-18, Exodus 33:19 ).
    The Bible teaches that man's will is biased against God...it is not free to choose or not to choose.
    We've already made our choice, and continue to do so each and every day.

Mankind is not willing to come to God on our own, as our will and desires are against being reconciled to Him.
    That is why He has to open our hearts, my friend.

#115 Dave G, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're as bad as @Martin Marprelate with an overactive imagination jumping to conclusions to malign me and my theology. This has NOTHING to do with who is greatest at sharing the gospel (which has zilch to do with the heavenly birth), this is about whether we as Christians had ANYTHING to do with our own spiritual birth let alone the spiritual birth of others.

17. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if Martin sees this he's gonna be thinking "What did I do, I wasn't even on here!"? Look, I believe that you are regenerated before you have saving faith. I also believe that John Owen was right when he said that God uses "means" to work out his sovereign plan. He has chosen to use frail, ordinary people like us as one of these means to reach people. We as living sacrifices can use our minds and wills and skills and money to deliberately try to further God's plan of reaching everyone for Christ. I know that only the elect will come to Christ. But I don't know who they are and frankly don't care - everyone to ME is possibly elect. John Knox prayed "Give me Scotland or I die." Not, well, I figure the elect will be OK no matter what I do and the rest are toast anyway and I don't want to infringe on God's will.

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Martin and I have been locking horns over the years and I fully intended for him to see it. I used to consider it as Fullerite vs. Gillite but lately he sounds more like a Finneyist.

19. DaveXR650

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Finneyist"! Them's fighten words for a good Calvinist. I'm afraid though that Martin's in for a tough time. Being from England he'll be going by the Marquess of Queensberry rules and he's taking on someone with a name that sounds an awful lot like Kentucky Redneck! He should be warned. :)

20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no intention of replying to @kyredneck on this thread. I have made my points on the other thread and people can judge for themselves whether or not I am a Finneyist.
    'Like a flitting sparrow, like a flying swallow, so a curse without cause shall not alight' (Proverbs 26:2)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.