1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is sanctification PROGRESSIVE or a solo event?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Feb 2, 2014.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. Does it just boil down to the terminology one is using? I'm not up on what goes on in the popular evangelical arena, is a conflict concerning 'progressive sanctification' going on with you all? I've always thought of sanctification as having 'two sides'. I kinda sorta think we're actually not far apart on what we believe, just not using the same terms.

2. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't like getting into splitting hairs or straining out gnats, but you reference the OT a lot to make your point; but from the OT:

And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves; for tomorrow Jehovah will do wonders among you. Josh 3:5

I have to believe that there is indeed a 'sanctification' that we are active in. It's not only passive from God's side.

#22 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I missed this post. Again, I'm not following 'progressive sanctification', at all, or the problems this concept has caused with evangelicals. Maybe you all are splitting hairs and straining out gnats.

All I know is God has expected me over the years to clean my act up, and, believe it or not, I am a whole lot wiser than I was, and a whole lot happier because of it.

#23 kyredneck, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The 2011 version indicates its a one time event while the 1984 version as well as the ESV do not. Well looking at the dictionary they both mean the same, however I wish they would use the plural word.

Why did you have a hard time finding a NIV 1984? Don't you have hard copies?

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not the only church that thinks this way as there are other charismatic groups.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: