1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Satan already Bound

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Aug 6, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question borders on being incoherent.

It is BECAUSE of my inherited sin nature from Adam that I do not need Satan to entice me to sin. In others words, I'm not one of those to say, "The Devil made me do it".

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

First off what scriptures do not allow for sinlessness? Stating a fact and not allowing it is two different things. Second we DO have the ability to not sin. Name me just one sin in your life that you absolutely had to do. Have you not read where we are told not to sin? And where we do not have to sin?
    What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

All your sin is a choice as it is for everyone of us. No one has to sin. That is why man's sin is so sinful and grace so magnificent. We can keep the commandments.

3. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

How does that passage not allow for keeping the commandments? It is simply stating that no one does not that they cannot do it. Again name me one sin you have ever done that you absolutely had to do.

5. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist

This is the kind of question/statement you are asking freeatlast:

Christian: Nothing is impossible for God

Non-believer: Is that right?

Christian: Yes

Non-believer: Yes or No, Can your God create a rock so big and heavy that he cannot throw it?

Your kind of thinking makes it possible for the BVM of Roman Church dogma to be a possibility.

on edit: personally, for me the only one of the 5 points of Calvinism that I'm completly sure 100% of is the first point; "T"

#45 thomas15, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  6. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

IF satan has indded been bound as the Bible foretold...

When TAHT does happen, jesus will be ruling from jerusalem, sitting on throne of david
    Sickness gone.famine etc World restored back to a paradise state once again...

World systems now fully of God...

Do you see this world today such as that?

7. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may be surprised to learn that there are places in the world today where you cannot freely preach the gospel. American service men cannot have Bibles in some of the ME countries they are in. In North Korea and Burma the gospel is completly outlawed. China regulates what can be preached. On and on it goes. You are mistaken if you think the gospel is freely preached, i see the time in the west where it becomes outlawed.

8. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you're missing the point, Thomas. Yes there is bitter persecution in many countries, but Satan cannot stop the Gospel going forward. In China, thoysands are being saved every day. Even in North Korea I understand that the number of Christians is growing and there is great revival in Iran, despite the Ayatollahs' best efforts.

Steve

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Just because the gospel cannot be "freely" preached, does not mean it isn't preached. It is preached at great cost. When the price is greater the value is greater. Things that cost more are often more in demand.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

It all depends on how you interpret Rev 20:2, of course in light of its context.

11. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

it tells of the Age when messiah will rule upon the earth...

Question does it refer to "spiritually" ruling from heaven now, or a physical ruling when the Kingdom of God come fully upon Earth at return of Christ?

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Church history has informed us of varied interpretations when it comes to Rev 20:2 and the entire book, for that matter.

I really don't see an either/or

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sorry I don't have a clue at what your trying to say.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I notice not one Calvinist will ever answer when you ask them directly if they MUST sin. They know well that no man sins of necessity, but choice. But to answer honestly would refute Total Inability.

Don't hold your breath waiting for an honest answer on this from a Calvinist.

15. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that the gospel wasn't being preached nor do I believe that satan controls where/when the gospel is preached. It is by the grace of God and for his good pleasure that men are saved. I was responding to Jim1999 who made the statement that if satan were not shackled we wouldn't be able to freely preach the gospel. There are many places where the gospel is not freely preached, but it is preached anyway.

This though is a minor issue when you consider that a large number of the people on this thread think that satan is bound when clearly he is not (yet). The world is just as evil today as it ever has been in history. What makes today worse in my opinion is that the Word of God is available practically everywhere in the world so no man has an excuse but the church in western nations are in very bad shape. Major portions of the Bible are discounted by people who claim to be Christians, doctrine comes from books written by man, not the Bible inspired by God. There today is no better example of apostasy then the C of E and yet even people on this board gush over books coming out of that camp, forgetting that we are supposed to be Baptists.

We are in my opinion ripe for judgement. We don't even have a clear definition of sin, which happens to be the root cause of all our problems. When satan is bound then the lamb will lie with the lion, kids will play with wild animals without harm and the believers will not have to teach his neighbor to know the Lord for everyone from least to greatest will know him. This does not describe things today inside or outside of the church. The question that should be on everyone's mind is not is satan bound but rather when are we going to wake up?

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Satan is already bound - bound from doing what? Rev 20:3 - "deceiving the nations," not individuals.

17. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    And to think that the venerable kyredneck classified one of my responses as lame or shallow or whatever.

But I want to go back to the promised kingdom that you deny. Have you not read in the scriptures, Revelation ch. 20 vs. 4 where the slain in Christ will rule and reign with him for the 1000 years? This it would appear to any fair minded reader to be the same 1000 years that satan in bound in the pit (previous vs. 3). Would Christ be ruling and reigning over something other than a kingdom? How can you possibly look yourself in the mirror and conclude anything other than a 1000 year kingdom? You claim to have studied this passage of Scripture but how i ask?

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I guess you're not content with a different point of view on the matter. It shows.

19. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    So saith the man in the mirror