1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Satan already Bound

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Aug 6, 2011.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

really?

with world system still firmly under his control, with massive wars and famines etc going on now

With false religions in world going on

With gospel getting 'blocked" in several nations

Just how is satan bound now?

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

In danger of de-railing the thread, I have to de-bunk this. I have been deployed to Iraq, and am currently in Afghanistan. I not only took a Bible into both countries, but in Iraq I helped the ministry team perform protestant church services, in which the Bible was preached. (More "taught" than "preached", but scripture was still used.)

You are probably referring to the incident in which Bibles that were printed in Dari and Pashtu were confiscated from a service member and burned. The reason was that it is illegal to try and convert someone out of Islam in these countries, and the US Military did not want it to appear that the US Government was trying to convert people.

We are given a brief that tells us this kind of information before deployment. We are allowed and given opportunity to worship in any way we see fit. However, it is considered unprofessional to try to convert anybody, even within the military on duty. As the military does not officially endorse any religion, it is unprofessional to try to convert people while getting paid by the government.

This is why the Bibles were taken. They were burned to deny any possiblity that they would be discovered by the Muslim nation as that would have severe consequences on our Counter Insurgency Struggle.

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That is good information and it needs to be shared. I would add I just pray that there are those military personnel who have the courage to disregard the military directive not to seek to convert and instead do seek to convert which is our command no matter at work or leisure.

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.
    And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus.
    But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye.

Go and do likewise.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

I thought nations were made up of individuals?

You can not deceive a nation unless you have deceived the individuals of that nation.

Additionally, if Satan is currently bound (as many claim) and the nations are no longer being deceived; Why then are the nations falling away from God and no other nations are coming to Him (meaning there are currently no nations for or leaning toward Him), during this time whereby Satan is supposedly bound?

It is apparent that I don't hold to the view being espoused, however if I may - I would like to show that if that view 'were true', scriptures and our current state of affairs proves Satan is not bound but that we are living in the days whereby he has been loosed.

With respect to that - the real question that might needs be discussed regarding whether Satan is bound or not currently, resides more in what that 'deception' of the nations pertains to. That being.. who is God and His Christ. We see this not only in Rev but also when Jesus was speaking of those who would 'deceive'.. the deception iapparently remains the same. The false Christ and prophets we note per the word and Christ, would try to deceive the people as to who was the true 'Christ' and in the OT.. who was the True and Living God... and by extension their teachings. We note this (about their teachings) in the NT as well from Paul and John in which they both declare to the people not to be deceived regarding the teachings of God and explain in detail those same teachings so God's people are firm in their understanding and beliefs.

When we read Rev regarding the 'deception of the nations'.. prior to it.. they are all unified and stand under the authority of Christ. Let us assume the 'all' just spoken of does not mean literally, but that 'all' are not opposed to and therefore allow for Christian dominance and teaching to be apart of their national identity. Yet when scripture states that Satan is loosed to 'deceive the nations' you find these same nations that were submitted to His rule, now rising up against Him opposing His teaching and message and Christ Himself.

*IF* a person holds that Satan has been bound, according to scripture and current state of world views and consistent national views regarding religion.. one must acknowledge not that Satan is bound.. but that the time of scripture has been fulfilled in which he has been loosed - to deceive the nations.

My point is that regarding 'nations' where do we stand according to scripture? Are all the nations, at the very least, amicable toward God and His Christ and by extension His teachings? Or have they refused them and separating themselves from Him.. even to the point of hostilities (rising up against God and His Christ)?

To make a play on your own statement: nations not individuals.

#65 Allan, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
  6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

The truth of this Scripture is just as true today as it was in the days of Peter. That being the case, it is impossible to say that Satan is bound.

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, he is bound. Jesus bound him at Jesus first advent.

He said as much in Matthew 12:

25And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. 28But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. 29Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

This world has been Satan's house in a sense for some time.

But at Christ's advent he bound him and began a process of spoiling Satan's house.

Christ was slain and thereby earned the right to the title deed of the earth.
    Revelation 5:9- "And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;"

This is why Jesus began the Great Commission this way, "All power (Grk- exousia which means authority) is given me in heaven and earth, Go ye THEREFORE..."

Satan is bound while God's Kingdom, Christ's church takes back what is rightfully His.

Satan is bound so that he cannot ultimately succeed in deceiving the nations from believing the Gospel.

Now the common retort to this is that one can look around and see that Satan is not bound because of all the lying and deceiving and destruction and calamity that plagues this world.

This argument does not hold water for this reason: If it is appropriate to say that Satan was "DESTROYED" at Calvary then it is CERTAINLY appropriate to say something less intense like, Satan is bound at the first advent of Christ.

Hebrews 2:14 says that the Devil was not only bound but something even greater than that- he was DESTROYED.

"Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;"

Could a "BOUND" devil do all the damage that we see today?

CERTAINLY if a "DESTROYED" devil can!

8. JesusFan

isn't satan "bound" per Bible during Millinium reign of Jesus upon earth after His Second Coming?

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your use of this parable defeats the very truth that you are proposing. Christ acknowledges the existence of Satan as a person. He acknowledges Satan has a kingdom. He acknowledges the plurality of devils or demons. They are not bound but very active.

Were they bound at the Cross. No. As Peter points Satan is like a roaring lion roaming about seeking whom he may devour. Paul states that Satan's "ministers" are like servants of light who deceive. Satan is not bound, but very active. If Satan is bound why do believers feel the attacks of Satan and his minions? Why do we do battle with Satan and his forces? He is not bound. This is not the paradise that Christ described for us--a paradise without Satan!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, but that is not now.

11. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes the parable has Christ acknowledging all of those things.
    And furthermore it has Christ admitting that He has entered Satan's kingdom and bound him and begun to spoil his house.

As for the Peter passage: I addressed that with my explanation of the Hebrews 2:14 passage.

12. JesusFan

jesus was referencing the fact that in His work/person/ministry, the Kingdom of God had come to earth, and that He was able to overcome the Devil and His works through Himself...

The point was to validate His work, NOT that satan was ;chained up" right now...

tend to look at Kingdom here, but NOT yet here in its fulness, that is when jesus Return!

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Christ admitted no such thing. He used a parable to show that the things that he spoke and did he did by the power of the Holy Spirit. They attributed it to the devil. He told them outright that what they were doing was blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, for the attributed the works of the Son of God to Satan and not to God. Your conclusion is entirely off track.

You have failed to take the context of the parable into consideration, and the purpose for Christ using it.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Your interpretation of this verse is quite imaginative and innovative.

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; (Hebrews 2:14)
    It in no way teaches that Satan is bound. He is not bound, as we see his effects in believers all over this world today, and even on this board. If Satan were bound there would be much less sin. There would be no temptation to sin. He is the great tempter.
    Satan is rendered powerless as to Christ's victory over the grave.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 15:54-57)

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

DHK is correct. satan is not bound. He is hindered but that has always been true.

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satan is alive and well on planet earth. He is the prince of the power of the air, the god of this world and very active.

Allegorical nonsense aside, just take the Bible meaning what it is saying. Following the events of Rev 4-19 and see when they occur (ALL future). Then Rev 20's next step - 1000 reign of righteousness of the earth by the king on the earth from Jerusalem on the earth will truly happen as prophesied.

To say Satan is bound this way (not able to function, in the pit, etc) NOW is ludicrous and the result of really really bad hermeneutic of the amill/post mill not-believing-the-Bible literally crowd.

17. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm referring to Iran. I mentioned non ME countries Burma and North Korea.

18. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Satan already Bound

I think he was bound for Hollywood more than a century ago, making it on the last wagon train.

19. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

The fact that we are even debating the question (re: is Satan alive/bound today) on a conservative Baptist discussion board is not a good sign. One of the reasons the assembly of believers (in the west) is in such a sad state these days is that too many who profess to be born again do not take the Bible seriously. In my opinion, the 19th century liberals accomplished their objective. Our bookshelves are stocked full of Bibles in all kinds of translations and editions and yet we do not believe the written words on the page.

#79 thomas15, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2011
  20. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bound now.

If literal on 1000 years, is the chain, pit (shaft really), seal (door) literal too?

Where does sin come from in the after the 1000 years? Is the reign of Jesus lacking in some way to get rid of the sin? Does Satan have a new power to make people sin that he didn't have before he was bound?