1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Senator McCain anti-Semitic?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 29, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    His close adviser, Senator Lieberman said this in 2000:

" "Joseph Lieberman said Tuesday he was willing to meet Louis Farrakhan, the Nation of Islam leader who has been criticized for anti-Semitic remarks and has questioned the Democratic vice presidential nominee's loyalty.

Lieberman, the first Jewish politician to run on a major U.S. political ticket, told American Urban Radio Networks in an interview he respected Farrakhan and was open to meeting with him to promote reconciliation in the United States.

The two-term U.S. senator from Connecticut came under fire from Farrakhan in August, when the Los Angeles Times reported the controversial black leader had questioned whether Lieberman, an Orthodox Jew, might be more loyal to Israel to the United States.

Asked if he was willing to meet Farrakhan, Lieberman told the radio network: "I am very open to that."

"Minister Farrakhan has said a few things, including earlier in the campaign, that I thought were just not informed but, you know, I have respect for him and I have respect for the Muslim community generally," Lieberman said.

"I'd be open to sitting and talking to Minister Farrakhan. It hasn't sort of come together yet but I look forward to it," he added. "This is a time to try to knit the country together more and to make us, as (Vice President) Al Gore always says, the more perfect union that our founders dreamed of." "

- http://archives.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/09/26/campaign.lieberman.farrakhan.reut/index.html (emphasis mine)

Minister Farrakhan is widely regarded as being anti-Semitic and Senator Obama was recently asked to repudiate and reject the views of Minister Farrakhan. Yet, close McCain adviser Senator Lieberman was interested in cozying up to him.

Looks like Senator McCain needs to explain why he would have a close adviser who was interested in cozying to Minister Farrakhan. At the least, Senator McCain should be called upon to reject and repudiate the views of Minister Farrakhan and to reject and repudiate Senator Lieberman's desire to cozy up to Minister Farrakhan.

#1 KenH, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    McCain may need to explain lots of things, but does not need to try to explain your delusional thinking.

You have presented no evidence to support your anti-simite claim.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't think the above is cozying up to anything.

Being under the preaching and close friend of Farrakhan for 20 years or more is something else. His spiritual leader or preacher goes to the middle east with Farrakhan and give Farrakhan an award, that could be seen as cozying up to Farrakhan.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I expected the double standard of the right-wing is alive and well.

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm waiting for you to make your case that McCain is anti-semitic. So far you haven't even tried.

You have set no standard by which one could be said to have a "double" standard. 2x0=0

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. This entire thread is based on assumption, and the title should reflect that or the thread deleted.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thread title simply asks a question.

Right-wing calls for censorship. I am not surprised in the least.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this mean you are refusing to justify your implications?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am implying nothing.

I was simply curious if right-wingers would hold Senator McCain to the same standard for those close to him as they do Senator Obama for those close to him.

I didn't think they would and I have turned out to so far to be 100% correct.

For the record, since I do not use the reasoning that some right-wingers use, I do not think that Senator McCain is anti-Semitic.

#9 KenH, Mar 29, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is Senator McCain anit-Semitic?

No. Seems simple enough.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ken, get a clue. Listen to McCain's remarks about Israel on his trip last week. Oh, and by the way, your right-wing double standard remarks amazes me, since McCain is anything but right wing.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was referring to Senator McCain's right-wing voting bloc, not him.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your Obama obsession has apparently caused you to disconnect from reality. :BangHead:

You'll have to handle your delusions in this thread without any further input from me.

Really, Ken. I think you're losing it.

14. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Are you okay Ken? You seem somewhat confused lately.

John McCain is in AIPAC's pocket same as Hillary and Obama and Cheney and Pelosi and Lieberman and...

As far as loyalty to these United States goes I question whether any of them put the interests of this country first. Does that make me anti semitic? No, that makes me a loyal American who can plainly see that the whole list of these posers put the interests of the global elite first and the interests of we the people last.

None of them are worth the money we pay them and none of them deserve the airtime the elite's controlled media give them.

Is John McCain an anti semite? Please!

That's the least of our worries right now amigo. Why keep wasting your time watching the puppets? The puppeteers who control them are the ones we need to be watching and dealing with at this point not their little posers like Obama, McCain and Clinton who only seek office to carry water for them. Selling us all out just to fight over the scraps that fall off the elite's table. Self serving sickomaniacs. That's who "real north americans" vote for. What a shame.

#14 poncho, Mar 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If an anti-McCain man as yourself thinks the suggestion that McCain is anti-Semetic is bogus then why would you even start the thread?

You wanted to make an argument to equate a fact with a non-fact?

You claimed a double standard. how? If you don't see McCain as anti-semetic?

God Bless! :thumbs:

16. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I'm getting a headache trying to keep up with all these political threads :BangHead: and making sense of them. Ken, I am NOT a member of the "extreme far-right". But I have a few serious questions:

1) How is Lieberman's comment in 2000 discussing a conversation that HE was willing to have to "knit the country back together" any different than Obama wanting to be a uniter? He didn't say he AGREED with the man; in fact, he said--in typical diplomatic double-speak--that he thought Farrakhan was "misinformed" about much. Certainly this doesn't imply agreement with Farrakhan's positions.
    2) Do you not think it gives credibility to an offer of trying to "unite" anti-semitic ideologists when it is, in fact, a Jewish man making the offer? Or do you believe that Lieberman is anti-semitic?
    3) Is it not a bit of a "double standard" to post ONE thread ("Blowing Up the World at 3:00 a.m."), in which a couple of paragraphs are devoted to the writer's contention that McCain is IN LOVE WITH Israel (direct quote from that article: "Perhaps his seeming sangfroid reflects the fact there seems to be little he wouldn't do for Israel. This March he made the obligatory election-year visit. Top of his rhetorical list was backing Jerusalem as Israel's capital.")....and then start this one indirectly accusing him of anti-semitism? It can't be both ways.

This is the kind of stuff that sent me running from the Democratic party years ago--all the double speak of the Clinton machine. Yes--I know the Republicans are guilty of it, too....but I wouldn't want MY candidate to win except on his own merits. It shouldn't be necessary to lie or conjecture or "suggest" or "question" or "wonder" about things that are ridiculous at best, and slanderous at worst.

17. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Like I said why waste your time trying to keep track of what all the little puppets are doing? It isn't they who run this country. This country is run alot like the land of OZ. It isn't the image on the big screen that holds the real power it's the little creature(s) behind the curtain pulling the levers and making all the policies...or should I say "agreements" that actually "rule".

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because if some left-wingers used the same kind of reasoning as some right-wingers do in their hatefest toward Senator Obama then they would be accusing Senator McCain of being anti-Semitic.

However, they are not(to my knowledge). Therefore, score a point for the left-wing in this regard. :)

19. billwald

billwald New Member

Any Christian who wants the Jews to rebuild the temple so that Jesus can return is functionally anti-Jewish because they think Jesus is going to send the Jews to Hell when he returns.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hardly. You don't have much knowledge of the pre trib view.