1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Singleness A Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Martin, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Actually Paul did not say that not being married (ie...being single) causes sin. In 1Corinthians 7:2 Paul is giving the general principle, then he goes on to say that singleness is an acceptable choice for those God has enabled to choose it (Matt 19:12). It is not being single that causes a person to fornicate or commit other forms of sexual immorality. What causes people to sin? It could be that they are spiritually dead (ie...lost). Sexual sin is one indication that a person may not be saved:

"For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and God" Eph 5:5(see also Gal 5:19-21, 1Cor 6:9-10, Rev 21:8, etc).

Another problem could be spiritual immaturity. A person who claims to be a born again Christian and continues to live in immorality is not saved (1John 2:3-9). However even believers may sin at times, so it is possible that a believer may fall to immorality. However this will not be a lifestyle.

Being single does not cause sin.
    Sorry.

Martin.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Paul leaves when to marry up to the individual believer. The exception is when the person does not "have self-control" (1Cor 7:9). Beyond that Paul leaves the "when" up to the individual believer (1Cor 7:25-35).

Martin.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Martin,

My hat off to you!

If you have self control, then you should consider not burdening a woman with your lack of drive ... There are a few men that are gifted. You must be one.

4. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Age makes a big difference. It's a lot easier to be single and not fall into sin at age 55 than it is at age 25.

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Why would it be a sin? :confused:

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think the point about "not being married causes the sin" was pretty clear. Paul say to avoid fornication (sin) let each man have his wife. That means that being single can cause the sin of fornication. SExual sin may indicate a person is not saved. It may indicate they should get married.

7. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I think Paul is so abundently clear in 1 Corinthians 7 that I simply do not understand where Dr. Mohler is coming from.

8. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

BTW, I married at 21, five and a half years ago, two children under my belt . . . lest someone believe I am emotionally involved with my exergesis here.

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Christ said if you commit adultery in your heart, you're guilty of sin.
    I assume that same logic applies to such things as fornication.

Those who toy with passion, and then justify having done so by saying they are waiting for the right one, often end up as unwed parents.

I don't think "delaying marriage" is wrong, if you behave like a Christian during that time period. But engaging in tempting, teasing, taunting behavior, whether you are male or female, and then refusing to commit to one individual because you have "chosen celibacy" isn't fooling men or God.

10. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Splitting heirs would result in jail sentences which would certainly preclude marriage in most cases. Splitting hairs however is a different issue. And Mohler, to me, is not saying that Christian men not seeking marriage are in sin. He said that Christian men who do not intend to remain celibate are, and that many Christian many are not getting married for the wrong reasons.

I don't think defining the gift of celibacy is really at stake. THe point here is that men are, in many cases, not stepping up to the plate in terms of commitment. They want to "play the field," get "sex on the side" without ordering the main dish. That seems to be what Mohler was talking about.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I agree. I would also note that as I read the article, it seemed to hint (maybe too strong a word) at the idea of returning to teenage marriage and/or arrainged marriage. This may simply be me and I do not say that he believes that, only that it seems to be the path he is hanging around.

11. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

Arraigned marriage??? Is that where you get hauled into court for having your teenage daughter get married?

BTW, I am of the opinion that the majority of teens are not ready to even consider marriage. As I heard Jamey Ragle say, "You want to make your own decisions? Try making your bed first!"

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Good one!

13. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

Sex outside of marriage is sin, period.

Paul clearly argues for singleness if you can contain your passions. This ability to "contain" without committing sexual sin may be what indicates the gift of celibacy. Or maybe we should take a spiritual gifts survey?

I tell people, it is better to be single wishing you were married than to be married wishing you were single!

Also, love may be blind, but marriage is a real eye-opener.

from Ragle -- "Make your bed" -- I liked that...

14. mioque

mioque New Member

In fact Paul states that he sees singleness as preferable to marriage, not a popular viewpoint nowadays.

15. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

There is one category of people who are COMMANDED BY THE LORD to be unmarried - divorced persons. See Paul's blunt words in I Corinthians chapter 7.

Mark Osgatharp

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Except for those words about "If you do marry, you have not sinned."

17. Alexander

Alexander New Member

I can't believe that I would even remotely agree with anything a prominent Baptist would say, but I'm surprised that I may agree with Dr. Mohler.

Until fairly recently in human history (the last 300 to 400 years or so), it was common for men and women to marry upon reaching puberty or soon thereafter - - - around 13 to 16 years old. They immediately began having children, and with the average life expectancy somewhere in the mid- to late-30's, were together for only 20 or so years before one or the other or both died.

Compare that to today. We reach puberty around 12 years, but the norm is to remain single until we finish school. And with more and more people attending college, that means until somewhere around 21. Then there is further presssure to establish a career before marrying, so push the marriage age out a couple of more years. In effect we'ere saying to people that they are to postpone sexual activity for 1o to 15 years after reaching puberty. That's a LOT to ask, even of Christians.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I'm NOT advocating teen-age marriages, but I also wonder how reasonable it is to think that the majority of people will be able to refrain from sexual activity for 10 or more years after reaching sexual maturity.

Alexander

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Welcome to BB Alexamder,
    You don't have to agree with Baptists. Don't see why you should, since you are an Episcopalian. That being the case we ask you to refrain from posting in Baptist Only forums.
    There are forums for All Denominations where you may post. Please confine your posts to those areas. Thank you.
    DHK

19. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Absolutely not. Paul was single, and he said very clearly and plainly that it is good to be single. He also said that if one desires to be with another intimately, then it's good to be married.

Neither is condemned in scripture.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That appears to conflict with Paul's instruction that it is better for a person to marry than to burn with sexual desire. No where in scripture is there any indication that divorced persons will be set free from sexual desire. Hence, if a person is divorced, and they burn with sexual desire, it is equally better for them to marry. If marrying their ex is impossible here, then that leaves only one option, and that is to marry another.