1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Spiritual Formation For You?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the interview I posted Mclaren verbally deniws hell. You dont have to just disbelieve me listen to the article.

Meditation as stated in contemplative prayer is very unbiblical. it teaches you to empty your mind. This is contrary to biblical instruction on prayer.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Re your first point: I think taking theological concepts from medieval Catholicism is dangerous.

2nd point: The concept of the Trinity is from the Bible, not from Catholics, and commemorating the Lord's supper was done in the early church -- Corinthians refers to it. I think the word Trinity was used before the Catholics came along, as far as I know. The concepts of both of these are biblical and were a part of early Christian belief/practice. We didn't need the Catholic Church for these.

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You may be right. It would help if you could tell me which mp3 file (1st or 2nd) and a rough time on that file (1st qtr, ... 4th qtr) so I don't have to listen to the whole thing if you want a response soon. I don't have much time to sit and listen to the whole two files right now.

Thanks.

4. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree. There are many excellent concepts from medieval Catholicism like the teachings of Augustine, Thomas Aquinas and a host of other great Catholics. Some are not so good of course which is why I'm not a Catholic. (note: Aquinas probably shouldn't be called medieval since he was probably one of the largest forces for bringing Catholicism out of the medieval era)

The term Trinity and Communion are not from the Bible just as the term Spiritual Formation is not from the bible.

The concepts of the Trinity and Communion are from the Bible just as the concept of developing a strong spiritual life as that sought by Spiritual Formation programs is found in the bible.

#24 Gold Dragon, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The concept of a youth pastor is not unbiblical - he's a shepherd or elder and that comes from the Bible. A Spiritual Director is not a pastor or elder or deacon yet has spiritual oversight.

How you see spiritual directors is not the issue, Gold Dragon. They are imbued with spiritual responsibility and special "insight" they may not have. You are giving your spiritual growth over to them.

Here is CT's version of it:
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2003/117/51.0.html
    This is more than a mentor. I really don't see the need for someone to help me hear the HS.

The article goes on to give the background - how it came from the monastic movement but its modern roots are with St. Ignatius of Loyola.

This to me is just a part of a bigger problem that I and others are seeing: the blurring of lines between Catholicism and the Reformation. It is as if the Reformation didn't happen. Recently, some evangelical leaders have said things along the lines of how we should forget the differences (with Catholics) and unite with them on certain things. I am not one of those rabid anti-Catholics at all - I don't agree with Dave Hunt's view, for instance, or other extreme views. However, this does bother me.

There are big doctrinal differences between Roman Catholicism and evangelical Christianity, and we should not ignore the differences at all.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But whatever the value of Augustine's writings are, we determine by the Bible, not the Catholic Church. We don't think Augustine is good because he's Catholic. That has nothing to do with any value his teachings may have.

But we're not talking about terms, but concepts.

Developing a strong spiritual life - how could I be against that? It's how to do it that we're discussing.

You keep writing as though I'm against the terms - terms are usually irrelevant to me unless they are confusing or misleading. I'm concerned with concepts and practices.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The premise of McLarens article is flawed as well as pure conjecture. He oversimplifies "follow up" of the church. Even then he fails to present any mishandling of spiritual formation.

The recent "emerging church" in a "post modern" context Has no biblical basis.

1. The church "emerged" 2000 years ago. It doesnt need to emerge now.

Mt 16:18
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

This holistic formation drawn from the catholic church is this contemplative prayer. Which came directly from eastern mysticism.

http://www.cuc.claremont.edu/interfth/Centering\centering_prayer.htm

3. By his own admission he wants to include "contemporary philosophy" which is unbiblical.

4. True Biblical Formation is founded purely in scripture. True Biblical Prayer is founded purely in scripture. Adding any other concepts delutes a true understanding of God. 2 timothy 3:16,17

5. Contemplative prayer cannot be found in scripture.

6. "Post Modern" techniques and Philosphies cannot be found in scripture. There is nothing in scripture to indicate that biblical standards be set aside due to the onslaught of modern technology as McLaren suggests.

7. Those who "cannot relate" to biblical standards and practices have a problem with God and not the practices of the churches that hold to them.

Bottom line is McLaren fails to use one point of scripture to back up his theories. Any discussion on how we should conduct business for the kingdom of God should be well grounded in scripture. Therefore anything he has said has no biblical basis which means it isnt worth the web space it takes up. We should base all we do in nothing but scripture. http://www.anewkindofconversation.com/default.cfm?EK=57DE7C0D-B0D0-78C0-1FB1E53E7A0D80B1

This is the Biblical standard for Spriritual Formation.
    2 Timothy 3:16,17
    All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

#27 Revmitchell, Sep 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2006
  8. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree. I never said a youth pastor is unbiblical. Just that it is a position not found in the bible.

Agreed. A spiritual director is not a pastor or elder or deacon and has spiritual oversight. I am none of the above and I have spiritual oversight (in terms of caring for and being responsible for) the spiritual growth of the small groups I lead and those I mentor.

Ignatius of Loyola was definitely a cool guy with a lot of great ideas. I consider him to be one of the great Catholic reformers, reforming the Catholic church from within.

I agree we should not ignore the differences between RC and evangelical Christianity. And the reformation definitely happened and for some good and some not so good reasons. Many of the problems of the reformation have been addressed in the 500 years since. Yes the Catholic church like any large institution is slow to change but change it has.

I am supportive of Catholic and protestant dialogue and have enjoyed several masses as an outsider.

9. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree Augustine's "goodness" is not because he was a Catholic. But he was a Catholic and I will not ignore his "goodness" or the "goodness" of anything simply because it is Catholic.

It was you that initially brought up that the term Spiritual Formation is not found in the bible but was a Catholic term. My discussion on terms was in response to that.

Agreed. Then don't bring up the origin of a term or that it is not found in the bible. Let us address the concepts of Spiritual Formation and not the term.

10. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Some concepts of Spiritual Formation

Small groups, prayer, fellowship ministry. Growing together in character and in friendships. I'd say those are some pretty biblical concepts.

I'll see what others have to say.

11. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having attended many evangelistic meetings (billy graham, navigators, local church) and being involved in the followup programs of some of them, I would agree with Brian McLaren. Followup has traditionally been very thin and poorly approached but primarily with those four focuses. It is then the congregations responsibility to disciple the new believer which it often dropped the ball in as well.

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having been involved in many evangelical evangelistic meetings (billy graham, navigators, local church, etc) and involved in the follow-up program for some, I would agree with Brian's characterization of follow-up and its focus. Often it was expected that the local congregations would do the heavy lifting of discipleship and they often dropped the ball on that.

13. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I find it interesting that the word contemplative is mentioned once in the article and not with the word prayer and you seem to feel the need to mention two of your criticsms about Brian's view of Spiritual Formation to be about contemplative prayer.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you will listen to pt2 you will here it pretty quick

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is enought o discredit anything else he says as it is eastern mysticism. However more than that he bases nothing he says on scripture. Therefore it has no validity.

16. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not forget vs. 17

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Brian never says anything about setting aside biblical standards.

His mention of modern technologies and information is about how our discipleship paradigms need to change to be able to handle the onslaught of information that comes at us. The traditional paradigm being that one is discipled by going to church and hearing a sermon for an hour on sunday and have information passed to them. The newer paradigm being one that creates Christians who can think critically and I would add biblically and handle the onslaught of information coming at them on a minute to minute basis.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He clearly sets aside biblical principles by failing to include them in his critique of his misperceived failings within the church. His answers are not biblically based and his problems with the church are not biblically based.

Then he allows for "Contemporary Philosophy" to bring about a resolution to his perceived problems. As well as Contemplative ideologies.

You see he presents a "problem" and resorts to present an "resolution" and in neither case does he present scripture. And yet without scripture he finds a problem and without scripture he finds a resolution and has begun to put it into practice. This fails to line up with scripture since it fails to include scripture.

Also 1 Timothy 3:16,17 are nopt just about the inspiration of scripture but it is about what scripture is for and how to apply it to our lives, in other words so that we may understand it and be what God has called us to be.

This is Spiritual Formation.

20. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Listened to the first few minutes of the mp3. He definitely believes that the traditional view of hell is incorrect. But he doesn't deny a biblical hell. He just believes that the traditional view of hell is not biblical. Nothing different from my quotes from him above.