1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is Suicide a sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rex77, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Is suicide a sin ?

2. Love of Christ

Love of Christ New Member

I believe that suicide is a consequence of hopelessness,
    I mean it is the realization of a lack of faith.
    And moreover, in the temptation of Jesus, Satan asked Jesus to jump, so it is not doing God's will but the will of a hellish fallen angel.

So I believe that it is a sin

3. standingfirminChrist

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. The one committing suicide is not thinking of anyone else, but him or herself.

The Bible says no murderer shall enter heaven, if one kills oneself, one is committing murder.

The Bible plainly tells us that no trial is too great for us to bear (1 Corinthians 10:13), but that with the temptation God provides a way of escape. Suicide is not that way of escape.

Suicide is not placing faith in the one who is our burden bearer and problem solver. Whatsoever is not of faith, is sin. Suicide is sin.

4. Rex77

Rex77 Member

If suicide is a sin.
    I'm trying reconcile why Samson asked The Lord for strength so he could commit suicide,
    and the Lord answered his prayer.

Jud 16:28 And Samson called unto the LORD, and said, O Lord GOD, remember me, I pray thee, and strengthen me, I pray thee, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines for my two eyes.

5. Ijiwaru Sensei

Ijiwaru Sensei New Member
    Site Supporter

There is a difference between sacrificing one's life and purposefully killing yourself. It isn't suicide to jump on a grenade to save the lives of your fellow troops; it isn't suicide to die while pulling others out of a burning building; it wasn't suicide when Christ willingly died on the cross.

The Samson case is a bit murkier, but he died as part of the larger war against the Philistines. Samson is more like the men at the Alamo--dying for a principle (well, at least we like to think so).

Also, just because his death at his own hand is recorded in the Bible, it doesn't mean that his actions were endorsed by God.

#5 Ijiwaru Sensei, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  6. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suicide is a sin, it is the taking of a life (your own, but even that is not truly our own - it is the property of God). That's the bad news.
    The good news is that the salvation we have from God includes the forgiveness of sin, even suicide.

The sadness and tragedy of a death from suicide is transended by the grace of God in His forgiveness of sin to all in Christ.

Regards
    Bob

7. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Murderers?

Murderers don't make it to heaven; neither do liars, fornicators, thiefs, idolitors and any other sin we can think of. Now, when that sin is washed by the blood of Jesus, there is no sin remaining.

If you believe that a person who commits suicide cannot get into heaven, then you MUST believe in loss of salvation. Then you have to ask the question of how many sins is enough to get a person out of heaven? Is murder? Is theft? Is lying?

The bottom line is, if the person is indeed a Christian, they will go to heaven. They are certainly not right with God during this period of time, but how often are we at odds with God's commands?

I know a preacher who was definitely saved who committed suicide after having lost his daughter in a car accident. I have no doubts that he is in heaven at this very moment. Suicide is often the result of physiological illness or chemical imbalances. It is no different than a person who develops Alzheimer's syndrome and forgets who they are and often times begins to curse all of the time when they were never known to in the past.

8. Rex77

Rex77 Member

Ijiwaru Sensei qoute
    ---------------------------------------------
    Also, just because his death at his own hand is recorded in the Bible, it doesn't mean that his actions were endorsed by God.
    ---------------------------------------------

If God had not given him the strength he could not have done it, so God
    did endorse his actions.

9. mima

mima New Member

Phillip's Post

I am in total agreement with Phillips' answer. Are you concerned with the problem of suicide being a sin? May I suggest that you again read Phillips' answer.

10. Rex77

Rex77 Member

mima quote
    ---------------------------------------
    I am in total agreement with Phillips' answer.
    ----------------------------

So am I.

I,m talking about Samson's case.in my reply.

11. Ijiwaru Sensei

Site Supporter

I'm not sure you can reach the conclusion that God endorsed Samson’s action because He allowed Samson the strength to do it.

God also allowed the Israelites to divorce; He allowed the Israelites to choose a king; He allowed Satan to afflict Job.

I, too, would agree with Philip's answer.

Often suicidal thoughts are the result of chemical imbalances in the brain. Anyone finding himself or herself entertaining such thoughts should immediately seek help.

12. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

If severely depressed, a physician can give medication to aid relief of symptoms and the Lord can give hope through His word and other christians to support motivation and incentive for life!
    Suicide leaves in its wake a horror for all who knew the person to deal with for the rest of their lives!
    It is caused by despair. Its a sin to despair as God is our hope and we can bear all things with His help.

Yes, suicide is taking a life that only God has the option to take! We are His and are to yield to His will and seek ways to obtain relief of our miseries and then pass this on to others with like difficulty!

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What if someone is insane or without a good mind? Do you hold him to the same standard or is he not responsible?

14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are Moses, David, and the Apostle Paul burning in hell today, because they were murderers?

peace to you:praise:

15. Ijiwaru Sensei

Site Supporter

The point was that the blood of Christ covers these sins.

16. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Christ died for my sins, past, present and future!
    That however, does not give license to sin, for if we belong to Him and love Him we want to do only what is pleasing to Him!

17. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ij, 2B

I know, I was trying to make that point to standingfirm.

peace to you:praise:

18. Milady

Milady New Member

In a way I think that it is a sin. It is man's way of telling God that Man will control his own destiny. It is a form of rebellion against God.
    Also, thoughts of killing your self can only come from the devil. He seeks whom he may destroy. Wether you are sane or not, saved or not. The devil will attack in any way he can. In the case of the unsaved, to keep them from hearing, or receiving the gospel.

19. standingfirminChrist

Samson did not pray that he could commit suicide, only that he could have strength to at once be avenged of the Philistines for his eyes.

Judges 16:30 And Samson said, Let me die with the Philistines. And he bowed himself with all his might; and the house fell upon the lords, and upon all the people that were therein. So the dead which he slew at his death were more than they which he slew in his life.

The Bible does not say that Samson was killed by the house, only that it fell on all that were in the house. God may have allowed Samson to die a just before the roof collapsed. It is not clear that Samson did indeed commit suicide.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Saul ran himself through with a sword. Is he in Heaven?