1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is The Bible Just Poetry?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Linda64, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Based on Proverbs 4:1-8, 18-24 is the Bible just poetry? Some believe it is. Listen to the following message from Search the Scriptures Daily by Dave Hunt and T. A. McMahon for some insight into the truth of what God's Word is and why it was given to man.

Is The Bible Just Poetry?

Proverbs 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
    Proverbs 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
    Proverbs 4:3 For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
    Proverbs 4:4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
    Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
    Proverbs 4:6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
    Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
    Proverbs 4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.

Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
    Proverbs 4:19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
    Proverbs 4:20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.
    Proverbs 4:21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
    Proverbs 4:22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
    Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
    Proverbs 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.

Please listen to the message first before you start throwing out your opinions of why you don't like the messengers, Dave Hunt and T. A. McMahon.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I am not going to impugn the messengers in any way, but would offer that Scripture consists of far more than merely "poetry", although there are portions of Scripture that are of that genre. But there is also a majority of scripture that is not "Just Poetry".

The largest part of Scripture is that of an Hysterical - 'er I mean that of an Historical nature.

Ed

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Linda,

Well, I don't have to listen to the message to begin with because you have already stated that some believe the Bible is only poetry.

I can listen to the message to see the arguments that are proposed for this position.

But it would be a gross mistake to conceive of the Bible as only poetry.

Not even the Bible writers held such a view. I summon the prima facie card at this time.