Is the Bible Sufficient for Life and Godliness?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Feb 22, 2018.

1. delizzle Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your comments. However, to simply say "the Bible is sufficient" is somewhat vague unless we clarify "sufficient for what purpose?" Undoubtedly, it is sufficient for salvation and godly living. But I am not going to turn to the Bible to help me do my taxes, make French toast, or fix my car. The point is that the Bible has a specific purpose. It is not intended to do what it was never meant to do.

2. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed.

But the Bible is "sufficient" as a test of doctrine. And it is sufficient in that it points us to the Gospel.

My argument on this is -- that in some cases "The Bible" is simply a phrase people sometime use to point to the outside of the book while arguing against almost everything it says. They will than add "yes I love the Bible" or "the Bible is sufficient" when in fact they almost take pride in not paying attention to what it says.

3. thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Presbyterian Creed (1949) – “The whole counsel of God, concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man’s salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in the scripture, or by good and necessary consequences may be deduced from scripture; unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelation of the Spirit or traditions of men.”

Baptist Creed (1950) – “We believe that the Holy Bible was written by men divinely inspired, and is a perfect treasure of heavenly instructions; that it has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth without any mixture of error for its content.”