1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Catholic church the harlot of Revelation?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by uhdum, Sep 13, 2002.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can we say that Jerusalem is the Mother of all harlots?... Did she wield this kind of worldwide political power?

The answer is that Revelation is not a book about politics; it is a book about the COVENANT.. Jerusalem DID reign over the nations. She DID possess a Kingdom which was above all the kingdoms of the world. She had a covenantal priority over all the kingdoms of the earth...
    When Israel was faithful to God, offering up sacrifices for the nations, the world was at peace; when Israel broke the Covenant, the world was in turmoil which is emphasized in the Old & New Testament time and time again... Taken from Revelation Four Views by Steve Gregg... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ September 26, 2002, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

2. hrhema

hrhema New Member

I think I have missed something then because history does not prove what you are stating.
    During the reign of the Kings of Israel from Saul until the last one there was continuous turmoil.
    The only time of real peace was during Solomon's reign but that was only partial reign.

The Philistines, Amalekites, Moabites, the Egyptians were warring with Israel or other nations. Jerusalem never brought peace to the world.

3. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why don't we start with the Egyptians... Moses to Pharoah... "LET MY PEOPLE GO"... A commandment from God... To Moses... To Pharoah!... So they may serve the living God!... We all know the story I won't go into it here... The very first thing they did when they got out of Egypt was worship a golden calf... but after God destroyed the disobedient ones they build a tabernacle and sacrificed to God... The same pattern showed Moses in the mount. which they were commanded to do until the Lord came unto his temple... When Jesus was born... followed by his sacrifice, death, burial and resurrection that satisfied the Father. The Mother of harlots and abominations of the earth had come to her end. The old covenant was fulfilled when Jesus was sacrificed on the cross and was never the same again when Jerusalem was destroyed in 70A.D.
    The old law covenant vanished away and the new covenant of grace which we are in today was issued in by Jesus Christ and his Apostles... Brother Glen [​IMG]

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Naaah, I like my affiliation. But I ain't too proud to say we're imperfect. Hey, all of us in any denomination have to remember that we're doing our best, but we're imperfect beings in imperfect churches. None of us are necesserily any better than the rest. And I'm okay with that. ;)

5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now there's a brother that speaks my language!... The only one perfect is the Lord!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

6. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I would think Salvation was for all, not just Baptist.

Sherrie

7. hrhema

hrhema New Member

Mother of all abominations of the Earth. Jerusalem? God called this city his city and Israel his people even when judging them.
    If Jerusalem was what you called it and what you say then God would have never allowed it to be rebuilt. Does it not stand today? Who is God going to turn back to in the future?

Also I do not believe the Pope is going to be the Anti-Christ.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The very term "Mystery Babylon" indicates an involvement with the hellenistic mystery cults,

When the Revelation uses the word sorcery (Revelation 9:21; 18:23; 21:8; 22:15) the root is "pharmakos" from which we get pharmacy, pharamceuticals, etc.
    This also indicates the mystery cults and their sacramental drug "kykeon" (an ancient halucinogen) This drug of enlightenment has its roots in the religion of historical Babylon and the Epic of Nimrod and Semiramis.
    The "harlot" is probably then a sign of a false theocracy.
    If the futurist view is correct then I would expect the harlot of Revelation to be something of much greater scope than just the RCC.
    An amalgumation of the world's religious and political systems into one ruling body over the entire earth.
    Perhaps the RCC is the entity which is leading up to that "theocracy".
    But she would ultimately have to throw off her mask of Christianity (such as it is).

HankD

9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The plot thickens... I like it there is also a Statue of Zeus in the U.N. I have also read Two Babylons by Hislop... Here is the link for those who have not or want to refresh their memory... Brother Hank D you surprise me what else are you hiding! :D ... Brother Glen [​IMG]

http://philologos.org/__eb-ttb/default.htm

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll never tell (unless you know the secret handshake and have the de-coder ring).
    :D
    HankD (Not a mason BTW).

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you get yours from the same cereal box I got mine from?... If you did we are closer than brothers? :D ... Brother Glen [​IMG]

[ September 27, 2002, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if you remember Tom Corbett of the s-p-a-c-e p-a-t-r-o-l-l. Otherwise, never mind [​IMG]

HankD

[ September 27, 2002, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: HankD ]

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank D take a walk down memory lane!... The number by Tyndale is my birthday 1946... Now ya feel better?... Brother Glen [​IMG]

http://www.solarguard.com/tchome.htm

[ September 28, 2002, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: tyndale1946 ]

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG] Thanks Bro Glen. Great site!

But I'm still your senior. [​IMG]

Anyway, to get the thread back on track do you not see anything at all in the Revelation which is yet future?

HankD

[ September 28, 2002, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: HankD ]

15. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank D Yes I do but I look for the last throne judgement and the resurrection of the dead when Christ returns to take his people home.

Revelation 1: 1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

2 Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw.

3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

This is the beginning of the Revelation... things which must shortly come to pass... for the time is at hand. Not only does John say these thing will come to pass soon he also make this declaration to where he is when it does.

9 I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
    If there is a tribulation to come why does John say he is in one and he is a companion to those who are also? Not only that he is also in the kingdom which everyone says is coming but John says it is here.

Does this take away from the beauties of the scriptures... No way it adds to it by telling us that one covenant the law dispensation of time was passing away because the grace dispensation of time was replacing it by fulfillment. The Law and The Prophets were until John since then the kingdom of heaven is preached and everyman presseth into it. How can you press into something you are waiting for?... You press into something that is already here!... Therefore the kingdom of God was already here on the earth as the church that the Lord set up at Pentecost!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

16. janji

janji New Member

To Olivebranch, That Vatican site was very interesting. Thanks for posting that. Jan [​IMG]

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bro Glen says…

Yes!

As to the comments concerning the Revelation…

Brother Glen, are your comments the "official" view of Primitive Baptists or are members free to speculate?

You can email with your answer if you wish. I just want to know not debate.

HankD

18. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hank D There are varying views among the Primitive Baptist since this is not a point of doctrine. I think most will tell you definately there was a destruction of Jerusalem but they apply the book of Revelation spiritually.

They look at the book of Revelation not talking about a specific event but of the events down through the ages and in every age that defines the church and its people. The trials, tribulations, and persecutions that the children of God go through daily on their way to victory in Jesus. Why is it that of all the books in the Bible this one has been discussed the most? Is it because nothing is concrete and we all love a good mystery?... I know I do!... And I love unraveling one and discovering the untold mysteries within and when I come to the end of my days thanking God for the ride!... Brother Glen [​IMG]

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Brother Glen.

HankD