1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is The Christian under still the OT sabbath day?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Notice Ezekiel refers to PLURAL "Sabbaths" and notice these were given to be a sign between who? Israel not the church.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Doesn't "Sabbath" mean rest? Jesus is our Sabbath, and we rest in Him. We are not under the Law's sabbath, but Grace's Sabbath, which is Christ Jesus, the Lord.

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Acts2:25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:

26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my flesh shall rest in hope:

27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

So David trusts God and can rest in God's promises to David. What has that to do with gentiles in Seattle?

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Yeah Biblicist the sabbaths are plural. Weekly sabbaths and feast day sabbaths. And the sabbath covenant was givin to the house of Israel

EPHES. 2 [11] Wherefore remember, that ye being IN TIME PAST GENTILES in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; [12] That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and STRANGERS FROM THE COVENANTS OF PROMISE, having no hope, and without God in the world: [13] BUT NOW IN CHRIST JESUS ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. [14] For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

It was for Israel only. Was. We were once strangers from Gods covenants of promise, having no hope. BUT NOW in Christ, should we take hold of those covenants, we have hope

ISAIAH 56 [6] Also the sons of THE STRANGER, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one THAT KEEPETH THE SABBATH from polluting it, and TAKETH HOLD OF MY COVENANT; [7] EVEN THEM WILL I BRING TO MY HOLY MOUNTAIN, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for ALL PEOPLE.

Even them (us gentile strangers mentioned in Ephes.2) will He bring to His holy mountain, if we should take hold of His sabbath covenant. Jesus will bring us to the 1000yr period of rest

EXODUS 31 [16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the SABBATH, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a PERPETUAL COVENANT.

The above scripture was one of those covenants spoken of in Ephes.2 and if you were to go look at all the wonderful promises of this covenant, should you take hold of it, you’d be amazed.

ROMANS 1 [30] Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, [31] without understanding, COVENANTBREAKERS, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: [32] Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

And you can see who Paul lumps in with the covenantbreakers. Not good company

5. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Well convicted1, if you were to turn on your TV any sunday mournin youll hear that being said by the pulpiteers but you wont find that in the KJ bible.

6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

As the scriptures point out it was 1st givin to Israel

EZEKIEL 20 [12] Moreover also I GAVE THEM MY SABBATHS, TO BE A SIGN between me and them, that they might know THAT I AM THE LORD THAT SANCTIFY THEM.

The sabbath is a sign between God and his people that the “Lord does sanctify them”. So who are those who sanctify themselves Biblicist?

ISAIAH 66 [15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.[17] THEY THAT SANCTIFY THEMSELVES, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, EATING SWINE'S FLESH, and the abomination, and the mouse, SHALL BE CONSUMED together, saith the LORD.

The above scripture is about the return of Christ. The day of the Lord. If it was now OK according to the "many" to sanctify themselves and to eat swines flesh why would Jesus....You figure it out. Gotta do the garbage and watch the Jets lose again

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The "sabbaths" plural were a sign of the OLD COVENANT. The Old Covenant has been abolished and replaced by the New covenant and the "sabbaths" plural are not the sign of the New Covenant nor are the "sabbaths" plural a sign between God and Gentiles.

8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Your opinion is noted but the scriptures say othwerwise

GALATIANS 3[10] For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.[11] But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.[12] And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.[13] CHRIST HATH REDEEMED US FROM THE CURSE OF THE LAW, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:[14] That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; THAT WE MIGHT RECEIVE THE PROMISE OF THE SPIRIT THROUGH FAITH.

Christ did not come to destroy the law but came to redeem us from the curse of the law that we might recieve the promise of the spirit through FAITH. BUT...

GALATIANS 3 [23] But BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] WHEREFORE THE LAW WAS OUR SCHOOLMASTER TO BRING US UNTO CHRIST, THAT WE MIGHT BE JUSTIFIED BY FAITH. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. [27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. [28] There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. [29] And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

This scripture says what it says. Before faith came to each and everyone of us, we are under the law (10 commandments). Then the scripture goes on to say the same thing again (in case you missed it the 1st time). We are under the law (our schoolmaster) UNTIL we are justified by faith. Faith is not something that you mysteriously attain attain at birth. So, according to this scripture you are kept under the law of the 10 commandments (the schoolmaster) until you are justified by faith in Christ. No shortcuts. Then there is no condemnation. After we have been brought to faith in Christ, do we then make void the law or are we to still be keeping Gods law?

ROMANS 3 [30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: yea, we establish the law.

Just because we have attained faith through the Word are we now to “do away” with Gods 10 commandments? GOD FORBID!

REV. 14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and THE FAITH OF JESUS.

FAITH AND THE COMMANDMENTS. Sometimes its hard not to believe what youve been taught all these years, but the scriptures are true and will come to pass as they are written.

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

only if you jerk them out of their context and that is precisely what you have done - read the rest of the context:

Do you know why we are under the "curse of the Law"??????? - because we "come short" of its righteous demands (Rom. 3:23) YOU STILL COME SHORT and YOU WILL ALWAYS COME SHORT!

Do you know how he removed the curse of the Law??????
    His life did not come short but FULFILLED its demands - Satisfied its demands FOR US and paid its penalty FOR US.

Rom. 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Rom. 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

What is the schoolmaster? "the law was our schoolmaster"

Are we any longer UNDER the School master when we come to faith in Christ? "But after that faith is come, we are NO LONGER UNDER a schoolmaster."

Do you know why faith in Christ does not make void the Law? Because faith receives the obedience of Christ to the Law as OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS

Do you know how the law is established by faith? It is established by the OBJECT of faith - Jesus Christ and HIS OBEDIENCE to the Law.

#89 The Biblicist, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Everything you mentioned above is true. You never did mention we no longer need keep Gods law.

Tell me one thing Biblicist

Who do you think would love to see man keep Gods 10 commandments

Jesus?

satan?

Would love to see a one word answer. But i wont

11. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Jesus! Because then we would not need to trust in Jesus to do it for us. Then he would not have to come and die. Then we would never have been condemned in the first place. Then we would have never come short at all. Then there would be no hell.

#91 The Biblicist, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2012
  12. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

How does your soteriology overcome the problem that God condemns YOUR OWN LIFE for having "come short" of the righteousness of God - Rom. 3:23?

At what point in your own life can you come before God and present your OWN LIFE free from that condemnation of having "come short" of God's righteousness? Remember, to sin in only one point is to fail in every other point of the Law. To come short of any one point is to come short of every point of the law. Hence, the only solution is to keep every point in order to satisfy the Law's demands for righteousness and avoid its condemnation and that is precisely what the righteousness of God is or else God Himself comes short of his own standard and would be equally condemned as us. God's righteousness is sinless perfection or a life that never comes short of His own "glory" - the righteousness of God. This is the kind of righteousness Christ demanded one must have to enter heaven (Mt. 5:20) which equals the righteousness of God (Mt. 5:48) and this is the righteousness demanded by a proper interpretation of the Law of God which the elders misinterpreted (Mt. 5:21-47).

What life can you provide to God that overcomes this problem of condemnation for having come short? Where and how would you obtain a life to offer unto God that would overcome this problem?

At what point in your own life can you offer up to God any portion of your life that still does not "come short" of God's own righteousness?

In other words if coming short brought you under condemnation in the first place, then, how in the world do you suppose a life that still continues to come short can escape condemnation for coming short of God's glory any better on judgment day????

#92 The Biblicist, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus would NOT love to see man keep God's 10 commandments; He would love to have man follow after HIM for their Commander ... Commander in EVERYTHING, the Sabbath included.

Jesus NEVER included the First Day of the week for ANYTHING from Him or to Him. Less what they call 'Sunday'.

So the lying Sunday idolaters went and changed the Scriptures SO THAT it would appear He did.

14. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

He did not rise on Saturday but Sunday. "The Lord's Day" was well known in the Roman Empire to fall on Sunday not Saturday. The First day of the week was the day for church services (Acts 7:20; 1 Cor. 16:1-2) not Saturday. Paul went to the jews first and thus attended the Synogogue on Saturdays but never church services.

15. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

1 Corinthians 16:1-4 (KJV)
    1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
    2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Well theres 1Cor.16 {1&2}

So tell me where it says this is a sunday church service. Why isnt Paul going to be there for this sunday service? When you make claims like this it just looks like your grabbing at straws

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

REV.1 [7] Behold, HE COMETH WITH CLOUDS; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of THE EARTH SHALL WAIL because of him. Even so, Amen.[8] I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.[9] I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.[10] I was in the Spirit on THE LORD'S DAY, and heard behind me a GREAT VOICE, as of A TRUMPET,

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

ZEPH.1 [14] The great DAY OF THE LORD is near, it is near, and hasteth greatly, even THE VOICE of the day of the LORD: the mighty man shall CRY THERE BITTERLY.[15] That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a DAY OF CLOUDS and thick darkness,[16] A day of THE TRUMPET and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers

a day of clouds - of the trumpet - The great day of the LORD - even the voice - man shall cry there bitterly

Both scriptures are speakin of The Day of the Lord....not sunday for crying out loud. Its sooooo simple when you look at these 2 scriptures

17. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

I will always come short in the keeping of the law. Its only by the blood of Christ will i be made clean of sin. Only by grace through faith in Christ. It is a free gift.

If a cop stopped you for not using your bliker when you turned and then {by his grace gave you a free gift you didnt deserve} by not givin you a ticket for breakin the law. Would you then believe you need not follow the law because of that free gift? Would you make void the law? Would you speed off at 90 miles per hour?

#97 Chowmah, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

He does not say he will not be there on Sunday. He is instructing them to do this DURING THE TIME between his writing and coming so that when he comes they would have BUILT UP the funds so that he can receive them without WAITING over a period of time. Such funds were not a one day offering but the accumulation of funds or set goal to attain over a period of time.

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The Greek terms translated "The Lord's day" versus "the day of the Lord" are not even similar. The Greek words translated "the Lord's Day" are NEVER used in the Old Testament Septuigent or any Christian writers for the day of the Lord - NEVER!

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You are side stepping the real problem! Forgiveness does not make your life come any less short of God's standard but rather proves your life does come short. So if that is all you have to offer on judgement day for justification before the Law of God it won't pass muster then any more than now.