1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured is The Christian under still the OT sabbath day?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

More proof we {gentiles} are are to take hold of Israels covenants

ROMANS 7 [14] For we know that THE LAW IS SPIRITUAL: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

In Romans 7 we see that the law is spiritual

ROMANS 15 [25] But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints.[26] For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.[27] It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. FOR IF THE GENTILES HAVE BEEN MADE PARTAKERS OF THEIR SPIRITUAL THINGS, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.

The gentiles have been made partakers of Gods law.

JOHN 4 [23] But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. [24] GOD IS A SPIRIT: AND THEY THAT WORSHIP HIM MUST WORSHIP HIM IN SPIRIT AND IN TRUTH.

True worshipers will worship in SPIRIT AND TRUTH

JOHN 14 [15] IF YE LOVE ME, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS. [16] AND I WILL PRAY THE FATHER, AND HE SHALL GIVE YOU ANOTHER COMFORTER, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] EVEN THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH;

How are we to recieve this Spirit of truth? Keeping Gods 10 commandments

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

He is demonstrating why fallen man cannot obey the Law. He is not building a case for fallen man's obedience to God's Law. Neither is he building a case for saved men as he just previously said that saved men are "DEAD TO THE LAW" through the body of Christ not alive to the law.

He is referring to the SAINTS at Jerusalem not the Jews and their Old Covenant but the SAINTS under the new covenant from whence the gospel came forth (Mt. 28:19-20) to some Roman Jews on the day of Pentecost (Acts 1:11).

The Spiritual man is "DEAD to Law" but alive to righteousness in Christ. We are not "under the law but under grace" (Rom. 6:14) and grace and works cannot be mixed for justification before God (Rom. 11:6).

3. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Is the book your reading have the old testament written in the greek?

So you think there will be 2 separate days in which....

he cometh with clouds - of a trumpet - the Lord's day - a great voice - the earth shall wail

One is a sunday, the other the Day of the Lord. Thats really out there Biblicist.

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

JAMES 2 [19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.[20] But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?[21] WAS NOT ABRAHAM OUR FATHER JUSTIFIED BY WORKS, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?[22] Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?[23] And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.[24] YE SEE THEN HOW THAT BY WORKS A MAN IS JUSTIFIED, AND NOT BY FAITH ONLY.

We all know that we are saved by the grace of God alone. It is a gift. What James is pointing to is those who are justified to recieve this gift.

ROMANS 2 [12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; [13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but THE DOERS OF THE LAW SHALL BE JUSTIFIED.

And again this is found in writings of Paul

HEBREWS 11 [28] THROUGH FAITH HE KEPT THE PASSOVER, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.

Heres Moses keeping the law of the passover by faith. Some say apples and oranges? I think not

1JOHN5 [1] Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.[2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God, that WE KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS: and his commandments are not grievous.[4] For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, EVEN OUR FAITH.

REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND THE FAITH OF JESUS.

Seems they do mix....Uh cording to scripture

#104 Chowmah, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
  5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is called the Septuigent and yes it was the Old Testament translated and written in Greek 250 years before Christ was born.

First, he never says he comes on or in "the Lord's day." What the text says was that JOHN was "in the Spirit" on "the Lord's Day."

The former uses the term "kurios" ("day of the LORD") whereas the latter uses the Greek term "kuriakos" ("the Lord's day). The former is the Old Testament translation of Yahweh whereas the latter NEVER translated "Yahweh."

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I don't have the time to ride your endless merry-go-round of jerking texts out of context and then returning and doing it all over again. No amount of Biblical evidence can convince a man against his will.

7. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Few years back on one of the boards i watch these 2 guys argue for a week about what a greek word said. They were both dug in and they both thought they were right. It was really quite funny and neither gave in. I guess its a way to say a word doesnt really mean what it says or vise versa and you can get away with anything as long as you can find a website that says the word says what you says it says.

8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND THE FAITH OF JESUS.

So scripture above must be one of those texts ive jerked out of context. Id like to hear what you think above scripture says

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The issue between us is not about keeping the Lord's commandments. The issue is about what COVENANT we are under. The OLD Covenant had CEREMONIAL commandments and CIVIL commandments and an Old Covenant House of God and yet I don't think you believe we are to obey THOSE COMMANDMENTS or serve God in THAT HOUSE do you?

Hence, we do not obey or keep THE PASSOVER but we now keep and observe the LORD'S SUPPER. We don't attend the OLD TESTAMENT temple but the New Testament house of God. Just because we don't obey the former COMMANDMENTS of God does not mean we do not obey His commandments? Correct? Indeed, if we started obeying the CEREMONIAL commandments under the Old Covenant we would be in essence rejecting the New Covenant commandments. That was the error that the Hebrews were contemplating and the writer told them not to go back and do those COMMANDMENTS OF GOD but we had something BETTER.

So the issue is not keeping commandments of God. The issue is WHAT commandments and WHY do we keep them.

If you want to practice circumcision instead of baptism - both are commandments of God.

If you want to practice the Passover instead of the Lord's Supper - both are commandments of the Lord.

If you want to attend the Jewish temple instead of the Lord's Church - both are commandments of the Lord.

If you want to observe the Seventh day "of the week" Sabbath instead of the first day of the week Sabbath - both are commandments of the Lord.

Get my point?

10. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Furthermore, NO COMMANDMENT KEEPING was to procure justification before God but commandment keeping was the response of love by those already justified before God - Eph. 2:10.

11. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Not really. Its the 10 commandments being spoken of in Rev. All those "commands" you listed do not pertain to the 10 commandments except....

If you want to observe the Seventh day "of the week" Sabbath instead of the first day of the week Sabbath - both are commandments of the Lord.

Where is the command to keep the 1st day of the week?

No song and dance. Just post the scripture please

12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

DEUT.4 [27] And THE LORD SHALL SCATTER YOU AMONG THE NATIONS, AND YE SHALL BE LEFT FEW IN NUMBER AMONG THE HEATHEN, whither the LORD shall lead you.[28] And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.[29] But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul.[30] WHEN THOU ART IN TRIBULATION, AND ALL THESE THINGS ARE COME UPON THEE, EVEN IN THE LATTER DAYS, if thou turn to the LORD thy God, and shalt be obedient unto his voice;[31] (For the LORD thy God is a merciful God;) he will not forsake thee, neither destroy thee, nor forget the covenant of thy fathers which he sware unto them.

The Lord scatters the 10 {lost}tribes of the children of Israel amoung the gentiles for being disobedient. The lost sheep? Latter days

MATT.15 [22] And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.[23] But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.[24] But he answered and said, I AM NOT SENT BUT UNTO THE LOST SHEEP of the house of Israel.

Jesus said "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel"

JER.50 [4] In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the LORD their God.[5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in A PERPETUAL COVENANT that shall not be forgotten.[6] MY PEOPLE HATH BEEN LOST SHEEP: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR RESTINGPLACE.

My people hath been lost sheep
    they have forgotten their restingplace (they sure have)
    let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten (remember the…)

Well, In Jeremiah we can find the sheep that Jesus came for. The remnant of the lost 10 tribes of the children of Israel, who believe they are nothing more than gentiles. Have the many been decieved, just as the new testament says. The sabbath rest has been forgotten, but as you can see, the lost sheep that Jesus came for will return to the “perpetual covenant” and keep Gods sabbath day. In Jer.50 you find the words “they have forgotten their restingplace” and the 4th commandment begins with “remember the sabbath”.

EXODUS 31[15] Six days may work be done; but in THE SEVENTH IS THE SABBATH of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.[16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a PERPETUAL COVENANT.[17] It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed.

This is really great. If you have a KJV bible you will find the words “PERPETUAL COVENANT” only in these 2 scriptures. Jer. 50 and Exodus 31. Exodus 31 speaks of the sabbath as a “perpetual covenant” and Jer.50 speaks of that “perpetual covenant” being forgotten by His people.

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

MORE LOST SHEEP STUFF

JEREMIAH 50 [4] IN THOSE DAYS, and in that time, saith the Lord, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the Lord their God. [5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the Lord in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten. [6] MY PEOPLE HATH BEEN LOST SHEEP: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: THEY HAVE GONE FROM MOUNTAIN TO HILL, THEY HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR RESTINGPLACE.

from the mountain to the hill. Why? They forgot their resting place

ISAIAH 2 [2] And it shall come to pass IN THE LAST DAYS, that the mountain of THE LORD'S HOUSE SHALL BE ESTABLISHED IN THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAINS, AND SHALL BE EXALTED ABOVE THE HILLS; and all nations shall flow unto it. [3] And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of zion shall go forth the law, and THE WORD OF THE LORD FROM JERUSALEM.

Look what happens in the last days

In Jer.50 we see how Gods people went from the mountains to the hills and had forgotten their restingplace? The sabbath. But in the above scripture it says “in the last days” the Lords house will be established on the top of the mountains and exalted above the hills. Jer.50 [5] aslo says that Gods people (the lost sheep Jesus said He came for) will return to His sabbath.

14. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

AND MORE LOST SHEEP STUFF

JEREMIAH 23 – LOST SHEEP
    [20] The anger of the Lord shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: IN THE LATTER DAYS ye shall consider it perfectly.
    [26] How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart; [27] Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have FORGOTTEN MY NAME FOR BAAL.
    [28] The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the CHAFF TO THE WHEAT? saith the Lord. [29] Is not MY WORD LIKE AS A FIRE? saith the Lord; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?
    [32] Behold, I am against them that prophesy false dreams, saith the Lord, and do tell them, and cause my people to err by THEIR LIES, and by THEIR LIGHTNESS; yet I sent them not, nor commanded them: therefore THEY SHALL NOT PROFIT THIS PEOPLE AT ALL, saith the Lord.
    [36] And the burden of the Lord shall ye mention no more: for EVERY MAN'S WORD SHALL BE HIS BURDEN; for ye have perverted the words of the living God, of the Lord of hosts our God.
    [39] Therefore, behold, I, even I, will utterly forget you, and I will forsake you, and the city that I gave you and your fathers, and cast you out of my presence: [40] And I will bring an EVERLASTING REPROACH upon you, and a PERPETUAL SHAME, which shall NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

Lookin through Jer.23 we find that in the latter days there will be prophets that decieve Gods people and cause them to follow the practices of baal. baal of course is worshipped on the day of the sun.

JER.23[28-29] What is the chaff to the wheat? Is not my word like as a fire?

LUKE 3 [16] John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: [17] Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will GATHER THE WHEAT into his garner; but the CHAFF HE WILL BURN WITH FIRE unquenchable.

JER.23[36] every man's word shall be his burden

MATTHEW 12 [36] But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. [37] FOR BY THY WORDS THOU SHALT BE JUSTIFIED, AND BY THY WORDS THOU SHALT BE CONDEMNED.

JER.23[40] The EVERLASTING reproach?

LEV.24 [8] EVERY SABBATH he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by AN EVERLASTING COVENANT.

JER.23[40] The PERPETUAL shame, which shall NOT BE FORGOTTEN?

JEREMIAH 50 [5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and LET US JOIN OURSELVES TO THE LORD IN A PERPETUAL COVENANT THAT SHALL NOT BE FORGOTTEN. [6] My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.

Like i said before, the scriptue below is the only other place you will find the words “perpetual covenant” in the KJV. Coincidence, a billion to one shot, or the beauty and greatness of the WORD of God. Jesus said He was comin to get those “lost sheep” and they will keep His “perpetual covenant”

EXODUS 31[16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a PERPETUAL COVENANT.

#114 Chowmah, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  15. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You have not been able to respond reasonably or rationally or Biblically to the fact I placed before you at the beginning. You cannot interpret the fourth commandment to be restricted to any specific day of the week as the words "of the week" cannot be found AND because the sabbath law is applied to various days of the week, to various years.

Again, there is no end of this merry go round discussion with you as you can't answer the facts I present you so you just keep jumping to another text and pit scripture against scripture. Enough!

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

You make the claim that new testament "commands" us to observe the 1st day of the week instead of the sabbath.

ACTS 13 [42] And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, THE GENTILES besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.[43] Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.[44] And THE NEXT SABBATH DAY CAME ALMOST THE WHOLE CITY TOGETHER TO HEAR THE WORD OF GOD.

Did Paul and Barabas miss that new testament commandment?

17. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I have answered every one of your proof texts like this many times and you cannot respond but just jump and jump and jump and jump. YOu are without spiritual capacity to understand or receive the truth. Paul always went to "the Jews FIRST" and then to the Gentiles and he gathered with the JEWS when they gathered on the Jewish Sabbath UNTIL they rejected him. However, no such passage teaches that the church ever assembled on the Jewish Sabbath.

18. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Ive answered to all your scriptural one liners. What i dont answer to is your opinions {the things you call the facts}

19. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

You have not given an answer to the FACT that the words "of the week" are not found in ANY fourth commandment reference in scripture. You have not given an answer to the FACT that the Sabbath law CANNOT POSSIBLY be restricted to the Seventh day "of the week" because as a matter of FACT it is applied to the first day of the week as well in Leviticus 23 as well to seventh and fithieth YEARS.

Your view is contrary to the FACTS of the fourth commandment and its use by God. You LIMIT and RESTRICT what God does not Limit or Restrict and that is the FACTS.

20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

You have not given an answer to the FACT that the words "of the week" are not found in ANY fourth commandment reference in scripture.

So whats your point

You have not given an answer to the FACT that the Sabbath law CANNOT POSSIBLY be restricted to the Seventh day "of the week"

Ofcourse its not restricted to the 7th day. There are feast day sabbaths also. Whats your point

Sabbath law CANNOT POSSIBLY be restricted to the Seventh day "of the week" because as a matter of FACT it is applied to the first day of the week as well in Leviticus 23 as well to seventh and fithieth YEARS

Never said it was restricted to the 7th day. If one of the feast day sabbaths fall on the 1st day of the week...so be it. Whats your point