1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the Church of Christ a cult?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by evangelist6589, Apr 14, 2016.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also like to read doctrinal statements posted clearly on websites. But at the same time I find it ironic that Scripture itself does not offer the concise statements that many look for as fundamental expressions of faith or confessions (not, mind you, that they are not there...just that they are not spelled out in a form to which we seem to expect others to adhere).

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only if "Cult" is a magic word that we can slap onto every denomination with which we differ on some point of doctrine.

So while I do not agree with their "Baptismal regeneration" doctrine -- I also don't subscribe to the "everyone is a cult if they differ with me on at least one doctrine" ideas.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay so churches such as Unitarian Universalists that deny Jesus being the only way to salvation are not cults? Okay so Progressive churches that teach a "pro-gay theology" are not false churches?

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't the mainline sister to the Churches of Christ, the Disciples of Christ, better fit what you're trying to target?

Former LU and TTU staffer Eric Lovett now pastors a Disciples of Christ church in California. Check it out:

http://missiongathering.com/our-story/

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it's me, but when I hear the word cult, I think of a group like the Peoples Temple or something similar. UUs? Yeah, they're so wrong in doctrine I wouldn't consider them as falling within the boundaries of Christianity, but I still wouldn't think of them as a cult.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    all of that is false doctrine - and so also do Catholics and EO and Methodist and Lutherans and.. have false doctrine on at least one point.

But you use the term "cult" as if to say "non-Christian" --- and non-Christian would be Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. Christian groups are all claiming that Christ is the Son of God - born of a virgin - the Savior of mankind and that the God of the Bible is the only God that there is.

No other world religions teach that.

So while I do agree with you that all the things you list are doctrinal error as per the Bible - I am not convinced this makes them Hindu or some other religion other than Christian.

If you mean "sect" -- well the Christian Church was born as a "sect of Judaism"

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would be more inclined to argue that evolutionism is a "cult" a non-Christian religion -- than to say that about the Church of Christ.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not answer the question.

Are Unitarian Universalists a false church? Are Progressive Christians also false?

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Progressive Christianity?

10. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a fan. But are they preventing members from contacting their families, managing members finances for them, claiming that their pastor is a messiah or prophet? Those are the things I associate with a cult, not just bad doctrine.

Branch Davidians, Scientologists, Heaven's Gate; those are what I consider cults.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not a cult, they are false teachers.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bad doctrine - false etc -- yes.

But not hindu, not budhist, not muslim, not agnostic, not atheist - they are all Christian churches.

Is false doctrine Christian? -- no.

the Christian Bible, the Christian gospel, the Christian God - does not teach false doctrine - ever.

But Peter was "still a Christian" -- even before Acts 10 -- when he thought the gospel was not for Gentiles.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying that churches that deny the essentials of the faith and the gospel are true churches? It sure sounds like it.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    False doctrine in a Christian denomination is not the same as being agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu.

Saying such a thing does not endorse the false doctrine - it is still false doctrine.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't use terms like "true church" with "false doctrine"

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not Christian no matter what they may claim to be.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hell will be populated by more than just the false religions that you mentioned.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would not be so legalistic as to claim that there are no saints among the Church of Christ, or Catholics or ...

But that does not mean I endorse the errors taught within those denominations.

It also does not mean that I think all in any denomination are all saints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to clarify what you mean in reply to Bob's comment that false doctrine within a Christian denomination is not the same as non-Christian religion. You replied that "they are not Christian no matter what they may claim to be." Are you saying that a member of the CoC, Catholic Church,.....maybe SBC, Methodist, Presbyterian, SDA, Free-Will Baptist, Reformed Baptist, etc. (depending on what you view as a "false doctrine" are not Christians no matter their claim (no matter if they hold to the gospel of Jesus Christ) because they also hold to error?

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what I said. I said the Unitarians, Progressives and such are false churches. Yes there may be false converts in legit denominations and churches that you mentioned but I never write letters to those churches for I do not know.