1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the death penaly ok by God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Mar 14, 2008.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Is the death penaly ok by God?

{Sorry, I clicked "edit" instead of "quote." No editing needed.
    Pastor_Bob}

#1 TaliOrlando, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2008
  2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Death Sentence

"Thou shalt not kill."

And, can you ensure you always have a guilty person on death row. Best statistics indicate that at least 10% of all those on death row are innocent of the crime that put them there.

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Genesis 9 God commands the Death penalty for mankind -- telling all civilized societies of mankind to use it in the case of murder.

Gen 9:6

in Christ,

Bob

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Just to add a little to what Bob said, the command for capital punishment was made by God before the Law was given to Moses, so it is/was not part of the Jewish law, therefore it is still in effect.

Genesis
    Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man’s brother I will require the life of man.

6 “ Whoever sheds man’s blood,
    By man his blood shall be shed;
    For in the image of God
    He made man.

Even animals that kill man must be put to death.

5. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

I doubt that. Define "best statistics." Does this mean `The statistics that most favor my view we should not execute anyone?'

We keep people on death row alive too long, and give too many appeals. With enough time:
    fade in memory + fade in surviving evidence + smooth-talking defense attorney = guilty people are suddenly `not guilty.'

#5 Darron Steele, Mar 14, 2008
  6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since it was God's idea, He told man too, I can only assume it is alright. Unless someone thinks God tells us to do something wrong.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only is Capital Punishment "okay" by God, God Himself established it. It would be anti-God to do away with it. The question should never be is it an appealing practice or is it a repulsive practice. The question should only be "Is it biblical?"

#7 Pastor_Bob, Mar 14, 2008
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Testament does not require it, nor does it prohibit it.

I personally do believe in the death penalty for first degree murder.

Some will say that capital punishment is not a deterrent. Well, the answer to that: I guarantee that an executed man will never kill again.

With new technology available in this day and age, convictions will stand up much better.

I do agree that someone on Death row for 20 years is excessive. On the other hand if a person has ANY new evidence, it should be presented to the court.

One other item. Many will say the death penally is racist because the Black death row population is much higher than the general population.
    With that thinking, the death penalty is also sexist, as some 90% of death row inmates are male. Hmm I wonder why?

Salty

9. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose of capital punishment is punishment, not deterrent. Now, best I can figure, back in the days of public hangings, that served as a pretty good deterrent, but still its first purpose was punishment.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said, I just wanted to make a point.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you 100%:thumbs:

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The New Testament is not "A replacement Bible" for the OT.

"ALL scripture given by inspiration" refers primarily to the OT -- and also by extension to the NT.

When we read in Gen 9:6 that capital punishment is the command of our "unchanging God" we can trust that His Word is as true today as it was then.

in Christ,

Bob

#11 BobRyan, Mar 14, 2008
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen! :thumbs:

13. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I will have to look this up, but I think that "thou shall not kill" refers to murder, not self defense, war, or state ordered executions......just plain murder. I will study this more and get back to you'

I do know that God ordered His people to war many times......even told them to kill them all, even the children and animals...soooooo there you go

AJ

#13 ajg1959, Mar 14, 2008
  14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

There is this in the book of Romans that clearly supports capital punishment.

Romans 13:1-7
    1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    5Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
    6For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God’s ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
    7Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

The sword in verse 4 is clearly the instrument for death. It is not the word for restraint or paddle. However if we would as a society welded the paddle early in child development both in the home and in the schools then we would have less prisons and less numbers on death row.

15. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Act 25:11 For if I be an offender, or have committed any thing worthy of death, I refuse not to die: but if there be none of these things whereof these accuse me, no man may deliver me unto them. I appeal unto Caesar.

If and inspired apostle was willing to be punished by death if guilty, then I submit that capital punishment is certainly "okay with God". There are crimes "worthy of death".

16. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Good observation. In fact, this passage points to the fact that civil government is "ordained" to carry and use "the sword." I think this teaches that civil governments SHOULD have the death penalty.
    I never noticed this passage, and the lesson. Thank you.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmm - what an amazing find!

Great post!

in Christ,

Bob

18. Sgt. Fury

Sgt. Fury New Member

Bob, we don't always agree, but you've given me several "attaboys", and I wanted to take the time to say "thanks, man". You make some great points, too.

Keep it up.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I believe this woman was on death row. Let's see how Jesus handled it;

Jn 8:1 (KJV) Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
    2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
    3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
    4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
    5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
    6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
    7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
    8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
    9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
    10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
    11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

20. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

First, we would have to grant that the passage was authentically in the Gospel of John when originally written, which is disputed.

If not, we would have to grant that such an event did occur similar to as narrated. This is less disputed.

It would demonstrate that Jesus Christ took His right as Lord and God in flesh to pardon this sin in this particular incident on the earth. The fact that both the woman and the man were not condemned together as lawful might have influenced His decision.

This specific event does not set aside Romans 13, which indicates capital punishment is "ordained" to civil government. It does not set aside Acts 25:11 noted by Sgt. Fury which suggests that there are crimes that merit execution.

#20 Darron Steele, Mar 14, 2008