1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment, biblical or not?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Hobie, Feb 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobie

Hobie Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I couldn't have said it better...
    Well, the issue is the translation into Greek of Hebrew, a simple explanation is that “Sheol" is a Hebrew word used for the abode of the dead or grave. The word "Hades", the gloomy, twilight afterlife of Greek mythology, was in fact substituted for "Sheol" when the Hebrew scriptures were translated into Greek . The New Testament (written in Greek) also uses "Hades" to refer to the abode of the dead. “Hades" is also translated “Hell” in many English Bibles, including the KJV. In Revelation 6:8, the King James Version refers to “Death, and Hell [Hades].” It does this same in Revelation 20:14. Yet some Bibles leave the word “Hades” itself, such as the New International Version, which translates Revelation 6:8 and 20:14 as “Death, and Hades.” Now here’s a key point: in Revelation 20:14 “Hades”(“Hell”) is eventually “cast into the lake of fire.” Thus “Hades” itself is not a fiery place, but is cast into “the lake of fire.” Thus Revelation 20:14 could properly be translated,“death and the grave were cast into the lake of fire.” To make it simple,“Hades” literally means “the grave.” Look at 1 Corinthians 15:55:
    O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

If you look in any Strong’s Concordance, you’ll discover that the original Greek word here translated “grave” is “Hades.”

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"hell" is always a bad translation of hades....
    I already said that in my post 76
    You don't need to bother spewing your KJV derangement syndrome on this thread. That trash belongs on the translations board where no one cares to read it all again.

3. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

The KJV isn't the only translation which translates that way.
    And I know it's a bad translation. No English Bible should ever use that word.
    But your KJV Derangement Syndrome belongs on the translations board. I used that translation because that is the word that Yeshua is using.
    He isn't using the word "Hades" He is using the word "hell".
    That's why it's appropriate to respond with a translation which uses the word "hell".

4. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Yes....
    So what?

5. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No, "Hell" is not the Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire is the second death.
    It is conflating the Lake of Fire with the English word "hell" (which no translation should use) which is precisely Yeshua's problem.
    You simply want to beat up on the KJV. Do that on the translations board please and don't go off topic.
    Everyone already knows about your irrational hatred of the King James Bible, no one cares to hear about it. Relegate it to the translations thread where everyone can safely ignore it.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus warned us that Hell was and is eternal. And that it is a terrible thing to fall under judgment of the living God...
    the classic historical position of the Church is that Hell is eternal, only cults such as JW and Sa have seen it as being otherwise!

7. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Jesus never heard of this pagan word you use called "hell".
    Whether or not it is eternal does not mean that those cast into it will live forever in it. What matters is what the Bible actually teaches. Jesus says nothing about people living forever without being born again as you teach. The wages of sin is death, not eternal life.
    No one denies that.
    Only since about 600 A.D....
    Irenaeus and Athanasius did not teach ECT for instance.
    Yes, the classic Roman Catholic position is that of Eternal Conscious Torment.
    They also pray to Mary, and preach a false gospel.
    And Muslims, Mormons and Roman Catholics share your view, what's the point of this line of argument?
    Also, Evangelical believers also often disagree with ECT.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Antichrist and false prophet will be in hell 1000 years in torment, per scriptures, and satan himself will be cast down with them to suffer torment forever, per the scriptures...

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay I'll bite but could then you please explain Matthew 25?... Brother Glen:)

Matthew 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Now according to this is not everlasting punishment eternal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 14:11/Revelation 20:10 agrees with you here!

11. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of the mouth of 2-3 witnesses, so guess that proves hell is eternal!

13. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I personally see in it, is they didn't care anything for Gods people, so why should God care for them!

Genesis 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

As he has been doing all along when he first made man and at the end of time, he will!... Brother Glen:)

14. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know what you're talking about. Hell IS the LOF. And 'hell' IS a KJV mastranslation of 'hades' in several places..

From your KJV_Matt. 5:[color=red=]29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.[/color]

The Greek for 'hell' here is "gehenna", the LOF. This is one of several examples where the LOF is called 'hell' in the KJV. Hades can't be hell; how can hell be cast into hell ?

So much for your goofy idea.

And, I see you had NO REPLY from where I posted SCRIPTURES showing hell is eternal. But I'm not surprised. Most KJVOs have other false doctrines as well, as you've shown us here.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shows degrees of punishment in hell.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOU'RE SO SILLY !

Yeshua didn't use the word "hell"; He used the Greek word 'hades', & in other verses, 'gehenna'. The English translators used hell ! Apparently, you don't know the difference !

#96 robycop3, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, why did you use it, then ?

It needs to be wherever I or anyone else posts it. And you cannot prove one word of it wrong, wherever it appears.

And again, Sportzz fanzz, please note that HOS did NOT respond to the SCRIPTURE that was posted that proves hell is eternal. He's all talk, no WALK.

18. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Punishment is eternal.
    Death is eternal by it's very nature.

ECT teaches us to read "punishment" as "punishing".
    And assume that it must be an endless process.
    Notice you have been trained to read this as everlasting "punishment", instead of "everlasting fire".
    The text says that the fire is everlasting.....that doesn't mean that people cast into a lake of fire aren't destroyed.

#98 HeirofSalvation, Feb 28, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  19. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I'm not KJVO....
    I know someone who suffers from KJV derangement syndrome, and you need to take that to the appropriate thread.

This thread is not about your personal obsession with denigrating the King James Bible.
    Take it where it belongs.
    Start a Roby hates the KJV thread in the appropriate forum where everyone sees the label and can ignore it, instead of forcing your unwanted opinions upon the unsuspecting.

The O.P. should ask the moderators to take care of this.

20. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

No, you assume it. And it's hardly self-evident that that is what the passages teaches. It is a very weak passage to assert unequivocally that degrees of punishment are being taught here.
    And an eternal process of punishing with infinite amounts of suffering cannot justify a limited number of stripes.

"Many" and "Few". Cannot be explained if one is continuously being tortured for eternity. There are always and infinite number of "stripes" is ETC is true.

You haven't thought about this much have you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.