1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Eternal Sonship of Christ a fundamental?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by David J, Jun 24, 2004.

?
  1. Yes, it is a fundamental and we should teach it

100.0%
  2. No, it's not that important

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. David J

David J New Member

Some Christians deny and/or attack the Eternal Sonship of Christ. Is the Eternal Sonship a fundamental of the faith?

2. aefting

aefting New Member

I couldn't vote.

I think the Eternal Sonship of Christ is important and we ought to teach it, but I wouldn't say it is a fundamental of the faith.

Fundamentals of the faith are things that people will not deny if they are really saved.

Andy

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of orthodox theology teaches that the relationship between the Father and the Son is one of eternal begotteness. That is the Son is begotten of the Father from eternity.

Begotten implies sonship IMO.

It should be taught. But like aefting I'm not sure it qualifies as a fundamental since it doesn't deny the Trinity one way or the other but semantically describes the relationship between the Father and the Son.

HankD

4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I prefer 'ontologically'! Only fundamental if failure to do so leads to some kind of Adoptionism or Appoliniarianism

Yours in Christ

Matt

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fundamental. Flawed Christology almost eradicated the General Baptists in the United Kingdom.

6. David J

David J New Member

I figured that more people would comment on this but that is ok.

I think it is very important simply because of this:

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.Do not be carried away by varied and strange teachings; for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, through which those who were so occupied were not benefited."Hebrews 13:8-9 NASB

If Jesus Christ is the same past, present, and future then I feel that we should teach the Eternal Sonship. I feel that by not teching these we may be allowing errors to creep into the church. God thought enough about this issue to inspire Paul to write what he did in Hebrew 13:8-9. I just find it odd that God said in verse 8 that Jesus does not change and in verse 9 He warns us about false teachings.

Just my thoughts....

7. Bartholomew

Bartholomew New Member

That same logic could equally be used to teach that Christ was eternally human (obviously untrue). Personally, I'm not convinced of eternal Sonship one way or another. But I really fail to see how that verse teaches it, let alone describes it as "fundamental".

8. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

I think the eternal "begottenness" was a philosophical attempt to explain the Trinity. That's not to say it's bad or even wrong. Certainly it behooves us to try to make this great mystery understandable. Denying the Trinity would be serious heresy, of course. But I'm not so sure that the Bible really supports this explanation. I really liked Millard Erickson's book, God in Three Persons. He explains the Trinity in terms of "interpenetration." Not new with him, it's an old view.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Eternal Sonship is important in refuting Oneness beliefs, and possibly other heresies against the Trinity. I think since it goes to the nature of Christ, it's a fundamental issue.

10. Michael52

Michael52 Member

I must admit, the title caught my eye because when I first saw it, I wasn't sure what was meant by "Eternal Sonship" (for it, against it, don't know).

After reading a few posts and thinking about it I thought, "Oh...Yes, I do know what this is about." I assume I hold the orthodox view on this.

Certainly, this doctrine should be taught. My temporary 'loss' of recognition or understanding, however, makes me wonder whether it should be a fundamental issue in regards to salvation. I mean, must one understand this fully in order to be saved? Most people (lay people, of which I'm one) say they believe in the Trinity, yet if asked to explain it (quickly) may have difficulty formulating a response didn't have some gray areas that allowed some theological quibbles.

It seems to me to be more of the nature of a explanation of the "mechanics" of the Trinity rather than an affirmation that must be internalized like the resurrection.