1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the "Gap Theory" teaching, adding unto the Word of God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CalTech, May 1, 2022.

1. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
    Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

2Pe 1:19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
    2Pe 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
    2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Greetings,

I came across this "teaching" a number of years ago, and have rejected it from the start.
    For I felt from the beginning that this teaching was making me question the "truthfulness" of God's word, that it was causing me to doubt what was written.

However recently, due to me running across this teaching from someone I've been coming to know. I looked into where this false belief came from, and what I discovered has only confirmed why I rejected it from the beginning, and why it did ring wrong from the onset. The Holy Spirit is our guidance, and I've learned to obey those "red flags" when they do arise.

I was wondering who else see's this teaching as being very precarious to the betterment of believer's in the Lord, especially those who are not mature in the ways of the Lord?

Thank you,
    The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love....

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it is simply an interpretation of Scripture.

Some interpretations are unhealthy,
    Speculation on the age of the earth is not an interpretation of Scripture that salvation rests upon.
    Speculate away!

If God would laugh at all our faulty interpretations we will have a jolly time in eternity.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible never tells us exactly how old the earth is. People come up with the 6 thousand year mark by counting the “generations” in scripture assigning about 40 years to each.

The ancient Hebrews didn’t put every descendent in their genealogies, as evidenced by the phrase “he had other sons and daughters. They only recorded those they considered to be important.

All that said, I did manage to get a biology professor in college to admit there is no evidence of any civilization existing beyond 10,000 years ago.

Concerning the “gap theory” I see it as unnecessary, just like “creation science” is unnecessary.

It is speculation beyond what scripture teaches.

peace to you

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see it as adding to Scripture any more than I see any theory of creation as adding to Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which one? The 'gap' between Gen 1:1 & 1:2 or the gap between the 69th and 70th week of Daniel? There's some on this site that will cry heresy over one while swallowing the other hook, line, and sinker.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a write-up from the internet:

Gap creationism (also known as ruin-restoration creationism, restoration creationism, or "the Gap Theory") is a form of old Earth creationism that posits that the six-yom creation period, as described in the Book of Genesis, involved six literal 24-hour days (light being "day" and dark "night" as God specified), but that there was a gap of time between two distinct creations in the first and the second verses of Genesis, which the theory states explains many scientific observations, including the age of the Earth.[1][2][3] It differs from day-age creationism, which posits that the 'days' of creation were much longer periods (of thousands or millions of years), and from young Earth creationism, which although it agrees concerning the six literal 24-hour days of creation, does not posit any gap of time. ​

All these theories or interpretations are based on speculating concerning the creation account of Genesis 1. However, Job 38 clearly teaches we were not there, and therefore do not know just how God created everything. Best to stick with that truth rather than waste our ministry time disputing something unknown.[/INDENT]

7. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

The Gap Theory of Gen 1: 1 & 2......
    Sorry for the mix up!
    Thank you for pointing that out!

The Lord bless you....
    In His Love....

• Like Like x 1
  8. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are different interpretations of Genesis 1:2, ". . . And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. . . ." Between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:3.

9. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greetings,

Thank you for that input, however I am not understanding if you are in support of or against the "Gap Theory" teaching in order to find out if you think that this teaching is "adding unto" the Word of God.

Thank you.
    The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no gap between Genesis 1 & 2. Genesis 2 simply elaborates on Genesis 1, giving more detail of the creation.

peace to you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally believe there is time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:3. I believe the first day Earth day begins with verse 3. The gap theory I disagree with, believes "was" should be changed to read "became." I believe the Earth was without form, and void before the first day, Genesis 1:3-5.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen 1:1
    In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
    Gap Theory Inserts Speculation Here.
    Gen 1:2
    And the earth was a formless and desolate emptiness, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.

The earth was a formless and desolate emptiness suggests the earth was non-existent, before creation. Darkness over the surface of the deep which appears to refer to the unknown, as does the waters. So verse 2 seems to indicate the condition of God before space, time and anything else was created. To speculate that verse 2 refers to a created earth that was ruined and the following verses describe the earth's "re-creation" has no scriptural basis, but instead is wholly created by the invention of men.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scofield note on Genesis 1:2

Genesis 1:2
    without form and void

Jeremiah 4:23-27; Isaiah 24:1; 45:18 clearly indicate that the earth had undergone a cataclysmic change as the result of divine judgment. The face of the earth bears everywhere the marks of such a catastrophe. There are not wanting imitations which connect it with a previous testing and fall of angels.

See Ezekiel 28:12-15; Isaiah 14:9-14 which certainly go beyond the kings of Tyre and Babylon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He understood what you were talking about. He just being him. You stated "creation". The gap in Daniel is not about creation.

15. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Oh my, I need to make a statement which I forgot to include in my first posting.

I'm talking about Gen 1: verses 1 & 2......not chapter's one and two.......Forgive my error for not inserting that into my original posting!

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love.....

16. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

I totally agree with you.
    It is totally man's invention.......

The Lord bless you....
    In His Love....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.......

Lord bless you....
    In His Love....

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that’s interesting. Thanks for clarifying. I guess I haven’t been keeping up with the theories.

Maybe you can help me understand the argument. How does a “gap” in time between verses 1 & 2 effect anything? I always thought the “gap” theory attempted to explain how there could be so many people building cities and such when Cain still lived.

Are they simply allowing for 10 billion years of “gap” from God creating the planet but before God created life?

Is it someway to explain the scientific belief of the age of the universe?

peace to you

19. CalTech

CalTech Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Greetings,

Thank you for this input, I think I understand what you were driving at. I personally have always believed the account exactly as the Holy Spirit caused man to present it.
    I have not adhered to the teaching of other men, who brought this belief system into being in the 19th century, or earlier to my recollection.
    I do however think it is good for us to discuss this topic due to so many teaching and believing in misrepresenting what God had desired us to understand and believe.

The Lord bless you.....
    In His Love....

20. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea it is!

1. You have an imperfect God incapable of a perfect creation - blasphemy

2. You have death and destruction before the fall and introduction of sin

3. You have divine judgement upon His own creation