1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the Great Commission for Christians Today?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Bro.Bill, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

I don't know about anybody else but when I read the verses in the Bible about the great commission I took it personally. If anybody it wondering what thier call is or what thier ministry in God has commisioned every Christian to witness and to disciple new Christians.
    Have I misread the Scriptures on the great commission? Is my understanding incorrect?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think the Great Commission is definitely a personal call to each and every individual. The biggest problem si its implimentation is individual pride. Everyone witnesses in different ways. Everyone has a different personal experience with Christ than anyone else.

Human pride often gets in the way when we see someone who's "not witnessing like we would". If a preacher preaches on the virgin birth, someone complains that he's not praching repentance enough. If a preacher is preaching about doing unto others, someone complains that he's preaching salvation by works. If a group of people goes out and feeds the poor and shelters the homeless, someone accuses them of being liberals who aren't telling people about Jesus. If someone goes to a Bible college to get more educated in the Word, someone else will call them Gospel revisionists. And the list goes on.

So, indeed, carry out the great commission. But do it as YOU have been led to do, and don't be too concerned about selfrighteous criticism. After all the Bible also tells us that we will be persecuted for preaching the Gospel.

3. littlewhitedove

littlewhitedove New Member

I find in my ministries that most christians are very content with the fact they are saved and that's all they want. They don't realize that there is more to this then just salvation. I bet there would be a lot more interested in doing good works and witnessing if we were save by works. Little do they know that their rewards ARE based on their works and obedience to the calling of the Holy Spirit. You can't just set there and expect to receive the same reward as the one who worked and gave his total life to Christ and that is what the Lord is asking from us. I serve the Father because I love Him not because of rewards but, untill I searched the scriptures to find the truth I though all was well just because I had received salvation. I explain it like this...
    When my son started high school he was so proud to reach the last part of his public education. During the course of his first year there he realized something. He thought his ultimate goal was to graduate and that was it. Then he attended the graduation of his peers. Each one stood before the Supertintendent of Education to receive their deplomas. But, they were not all alike. Sure everyone graduated and received the deplomas to that effect, But some received more. The speakers says, "Bill Thomas" or "Bill Thomas graduating as Honor Roll Student, First in the Spanish Class, President of Business Management Club. Received the President Award and a 4 year scholarship to Sometown Collage, and on and on more or less." But he knew he would not be satisfied just getting through and graduating... he wanted all he could get and enjoy all there was to enjoy. So he decided that when he stood up on graduation day and his named was called out he would also have honors and acomplishment to his deploma.
    That's the way it is for us christians. We can be content with just our names written down or we can go for all there is to get and enjoy ever thing on the way.
    By the way, my son did graduate with all kinds of honors and awards and a scholorship. He has so far... finished 5 years of collage and is in the Reserves as a Second Lt. with honors and awards and acomplishments. He has his Bachalors Degree and well recieve his Masters in December. And he sayes he's still not through. He is also saved and enjoys his salvation, learning to know God and doing His will.
    Let us go back to that fire we once had the day we were saved. To our first love. I want to know my Father and I want all there is He has for me to enjoy.
    Well done,thou good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things; enter thou into the joy of thy lord. I suggest that everyone rereads Matt 25 with these thought in mind. We all should be busy with the Fathers works for what we do, we do as unto Him.

A Child of The King,
    littlewhitedove

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Most certainly it is a call to all individually and collectively. To ignore this is to miss the point. Aside from us being godly and living godly lives.

5. jane

jane New Member

The great commission is a great privilege God's given to us, to be part on His great work.. Look on the fields it is now ready for harvest, Pray ye therefore that the God of the harvest send forth laborers.. The laborers are few... [​IMG]