1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is the KJV inspired?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John Rivera, Sep 27, 2020.

1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    now you are being rather silly!

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you not here though assuming that the TR was the right textual basis, and so if the MT made any changes to that, would always be wrong?

3. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sure that you are aware, that the KJV's Greek textual basis, is more Beza's 1598 edition, and not as most think, that of Erasmus. It is a common mistake by those who don't really understand the history of the Greek text in the centuries before, and after the 1611 KJV. The number of mass is not really an issue in trying to get the correct reading for a text. You can have a reading which is supported by 1000 mss, even of early date, and another with 10 mss. It is bad textual scholarship to regard the reading of the 1000 mss as being correct, based on its numbers! Unless the full history of the 1000 mss is known, they could be nothing more than mere "copies" of a very unreliable parent mss. Like the Greek mss evidence for 1 John 5:7, and even 1 Timothy 3:16. Greater numbers do not always mean better reliability!

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    not assuming anything! I have personally done research on textual evidence for a great many years, and can say for the three examples that I have given, the Greek texts that do not reflect this as in the KJV, are most certainly wrong! Textual evidence is not only found in what mss might say, as some get hung up on. There is the Patristic evidence, and that of the early versions, like the Old Latin, and the Vulgate, and Old Syriac, etc, etc, which I find to be of more value than 1000 mss which might have a faulty/corrupt parent mss!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The closest to the date of the Originals would mean something though.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do not both the CT and the MT though look at all of the available sources?

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    why should this be the case? If the mss that is copied in 200 A.D., was done by some heretic, like Origen, who influenced the NT text a great deal, then his bias that Jesus Christ is not "God", but a "secondary god", will probably be seen in his copy. I really don't understand why people have this thing about "older being better", it is simply NOT the case.

A good example I have seen in my studies of the Greek text, is the Woman taken in Adultery in John's Gospel. (7:53–8:11). The OLDEST Greek Mss that has these words as part of the text is the The Codex Bezae Cantabrigensis (because Beza at one time had it in is possession). This mss is dated in the 5th/6th century. Yet, the scholar, Jerome, writing before this time, says, that this passage is found "in many manuscripts, both Greek and Latin" (C. Pelag. ii.17). Where are these MANY mss? Augustine commenting of the absence of this passage in some mss in his time, said it was removed by some who questioned the story!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you also hold to the longer ending for mark?

9. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    did they? Then I must ask again, what happened in Luke 1:35, Acts 8:37, and 1 John 5:7, as examples? On WHAT authority were these removed/changed? What "sources" were used to arrive at their conclusions.

There are textual scholars like Robindon-Pierpont, and Hodges-Farstad; and then there are Burgon, Scrivener, and Kenyon. The latter being truly in a class of their own!

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    without any doubt the Original as written by Mark. I suggest if you have the time, to take a look at the very best study done of this passage, by one of the best textual scholars in Christendom, John Burgon, whose work on this is the best ever done. I have yet to see a rebuttal of this by anyone in over 100 years! http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26134/26134-pdf.pdf

there is ZERO doubt that Mark wrote this, and Burgon will never be proven wrong!

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were also those supporting the CT....

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been advancements in the field of textual criticism since his time though, as more manuscripts and other items have been discovered...

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe so, but that does not mean the evidence now is any better. it is more than age and numbers!

14. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    you mean the text from the unreliable codices, Vaticanus and Sinaiticus?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much netter technology to assist now though as a computer can now do what took long time and many workers to do in his time...

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unreliable to some, but not to all!

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, if I have this right, your method of textual criticism is based on doctrinal importance. Is that correct? If so, what do you do about the many places where the TR takes away readings that the Byz. has? What about the doctrinal issues the Byz. supports that are ignored in the TR?
    I can't believe that you are comparing those men to Dr. Robinson. First of all, their methods of textual criticism are very different. Secondly their personal character is very different. Thirdly, their doctrine is different. Dr. Robinson is a good Baptist, but they were baby baptizing, formalistic Church of England.

Furthermore, you've shown no real knowledge so far of the Byzantine Priority methodology. Have you read anything at all by Dr. Robinson? Or by Zane Hodges? Or the festschrift for Dr. Robinson by many of us who hold to Byzantine Priority? Or Burgon, who had a type of Byzantine Priority (somewhat different)?

If you answer this, the thread will probably be closed before I can respond further. On Monday, I may be able to start a thread comparing the TR to the Byz. in Matthew. See you there, perhaps.

And again, I deeply do not appreciate your personal attack on Dr. Robinson. It was misguided. He's not your enemy.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I was as serious as the divirticulitus attack that almost killed me in on Christmas Eve, necessitating emergency surgery. If you cannot connect your textual criticism to glorifying Christ through obeying His Great Commission, you are on a side track.

You stated basically that the Byz. Priority method was an attack on the Word of God. If that be true, then the Japanese have no Bibles. This to me is incredibly important.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please, study exactly what the Byz. Priority method is before you pontificate about it. I did not say that Dr. Robinson's method was based simply on number of mss.

See you on another thread, perhaps.

20. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    perhaps not, as I not see that our understanding of the Greek text is the same. I have been through this very thing for over 35 years now, and cannot see much middle ground. Btw, your remark about Westcott, Hort and Ellicott, that "they were baby baptizing, formalistic Church of England", are illjudged, to say the least! I don't much care at the way they handled the text in the 1881 Revision, but do acknowledge that they were very brilliant scholars in the filed of textual criticism, even though some of their conclusions were way off. I don't see Robinson as an "enemy", as he is very much as brother in the Lord. But I do know that too much has been made over the years on the Byz. Priority, which I personally do not hold.

I sincerely wish you well, and look forward to reading what you post on your thread. Blessing in Jesus, our common cause!