1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Is The pope Guiding the RCC to adopting gay Marriages?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that is why it is almost impossible to dialoge here with catholic apologists, as what they say regarding what Rome and the pope actually teaches is NOT what gives put out forpublic discussion!

its like talkin to Mormons/JW, as they can sound biblical to uninformed, but that is to get them into their church, in order to get the "real doctrine!"

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't know. Do you use tradition as your authority? I sure don't.

3. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never! Tolerance for the sinner is NOT tolerance for the sin.

And yes, I have many reservations on what the pope is saying. However, it is the office that commands respect rather than the man. I pray daily for him.

#23 Melanie, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well, I guess it commands respect by it's subjects, however, as a Christian who follows the bible, I find no such office as the RCC's Pope. So as for me, I'm not bowing down and kissing his ring.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the problem is that there is NO scriptural evience for the 'Vicar of Christ", and NO evidence that the Apostolic church regarded peter as such!

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AKA - We've always done it that way

as in - what do you mean to try something different.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But that is not the case in our church. Really, is your church that stale?
    Is there no variety? No, we don't hang our hats on tradition. I don't agree with you.
    Just one example. We don't always give an invitation. Sometimes, sometimes not. As the Holy Spirit guides, so we do.

8. sir chad

sir chad New Member

who cares how the pope thinks on this issue? what does God think?

9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

But then you would have to acknowledge that Peter was made the head of the church on earth, and then he was pontifex Maximus, etc. etc.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Peter went to Rome to die. Paul was in Rome longer than Peter was. There is no historical record of Peter ever being in Rome except that he was taken there as a prisoner and hung out to die as a martyr. That is about the extent of it.

11. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your argument is that the Pope's statement is correct on homosexuality and that he has not gone against the RCC magisterium.

Do you hold that same to be true in the case of Pope Clement - when he said that by the highest authority invested in him as an apostle and successor of Peter - he forever abolished the Jesuit order?

If so - then how is this current Pope legit - given that he is of the non-existent (extinguished) order according to Pope Clement? And if the infallibility of the Pope holds true in the case of Clement - then we should not expect the current Jesuit Pope to necessarily be infallible, because he belongs to a condemned order - by the standards of the RCC itself.

The alternative is that Clement speaking in the highest sense that a Pope can speak -was not infallible - in which case this current Pope would have no higher claim to infallibility - and could indeed make a mistake at that level even if claiming to make a statement or pronouncement in the highest sense - but all the authority invested in him as successor of Peter.

Is he simply hedging by answering a direct question - with a misdirecting question?

in Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2013
  12. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scripture please! Also add the scripture where we are to bow down to him and praise him and call him holy father.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    James was the "pope" in the Jerusalem Church, peter "pope" to the Jews. while paul was "pope" tot he gentiles, so which one was the real pope?

NONE, as jesus neverc ommissioned such a role!

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In the eyes of the common person the Pope has changed his stance on abortion and homosexuality, and therefore has gone against the dictates of the Magesterium. In the eyes of the common person he is a "different" pope in that respect. That is evidenced in the remarks of President Obama himself:

http://www.worthynews.com/top/teleg...-Obama-hugely-impressed-by-Pope-Francis-html/

I am sure that Obama is happy now that the Pope sees things as he does.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes, as BOTH of them practice the new christianity , which is really an old one, that teaches another jesus and another Gospel!