1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is the U.S. a Christian nation?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by fromtheright, Oct 15, 2005.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, remember all the negative things that came when Rome became a "Christian" empire.

2. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"Also, remember all the negative things that came when Rome became a "Christian" empire."------------------------------------------------------

Like what? And do you think true Christianity ever makes a society worse?

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The increased power of the Roman Catholic church in government, which led to:

1. State-enforced religious persecution

and

2. Religion becoming highly political (in a negative sense --as in power, corruption, etc.)

Remember, if you held at that time the beliefs that Baptists currently hold, you would have been persecuted.

And, no, I don't think true Christianity ever makes a society worse, but I don't think that's accomplished from the top down to the bottom. I just think a truly Christian nation would have to consist of truly redeemed people--something that I don't see in America, and something I don't think we'll ever see prior to the second coming.

Whenever "Christian" governments exist, they tend not to be all that Christian.

4. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Amen, Bunyon, well put.

I voted no because I feel that although America was once a Christian nation that it has been sliding down a long and slippery slope from which escape will be difficult.

When we start seeing issues that compare with Soddom and Gomorah in our daily newspapers, then we need to think about where the US actually stands in God's eyes, not our own eyes.

Even a many of today's "so called" Christian churches are filled with lost people. Universalism will be the death toll for our country. When we start accepting every religion as a peron's own way to reach God, then we are making a big mistake. I still believe in freedom of religion, but the Christian community needs to do a better job of defining true Christianity. IMHO

5. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

IMHO, churches of today are so busey trying to be entrepurneral that they see growth as the only measure of succes and will do anyting to recruit and will not be very selective. This is the cheap grace Detrich Bonhoffer talke about in "Cost Of Desicpalship". This is why we see Churches all over the map as far as doctrine and things like Gay Marriage and Gay preachers.

6. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Again, AMEN Bunyon, preach on! I have seen what you are saying all too often. I even see this in smaller churches now. When the revenue starts getting low........the local mission work goes into high-gear. This is okay, but IMHO it is wrong when it is strictly tied to numbers and especially income. I've seen pastors start local ministries and push them hard --- only after their salary is at risk.

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"State-enforced religious persecution"

But StephanM, do you really think the Christian church that Constantine bought and paid for was truly Christian, or its successor in the later Holly Roman Empire, was it truely Christian?

8. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The problem is this: I don't see how such an arrangement could ever be truly Christian without Christ himself as the head. Why? Humans are fallible. I don't want a Christian nation; I want a nation full of Christians--there is a difference.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    State-enforced religious persecution was also practiced by countries dominated by Reformers in government at that time, like Germany and the Lutherans and Switzerland where Calvinists reigned.

10. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see no theological system, once in power, as being insured against tyrannical rule. This is why I prefer to have the state and the church as separate entities.

11. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

""I don't want a Christian nation; I want a nation full of Christians--there is a difference. ""-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too, StefanM. That is what we mean by a Christian Nation- A nation that is full of Chrstians. And this fact is recognized and appreciated by our govenment- Not a situation where the courts are trying to take "for one nation under God" out of the pledge. The gov and Churches are separate. This is ensured by the Constitution. We are not allowed, nor do we want a theocracy. But we also don' want a world were young girls who choose a Christian song for their High School Dance conatest are told to hit the road becasue a Christian song is not allowed into School. What some Poeple want is for Christ to be invisible in the public square, even if the Nation is full of Christian people. Or gov is a representitive government after all.

12. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

"State-enforced religious persecution was also practiced by countries dominated by Reformers in government at that time, like Germany and the Lutherans and Switzerland where Calvinists reigned"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yah, true, but notice that the persecution under early Protestants was limited and rapidly went away. You can only expect change to happen so fast, they did not stop as soon as they gained a little power, but it was limited and rapidly declined when the reformes grew in power and influence.

13. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It went away when dissenters died, went into hiding or immigrated to the US and Canada to have religious freedom. Eventually it did end when most of Europe (both Catholic and Protestant states) recognized the value of constitutionally recognized free expression of religion due to the persecution of minority religious groups. Protestant states did not respond any faster than Catholic states in this regard.

14. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The ACLU,NEA, and now our courts (many of which are populated by ACLU members or sympathizes)are doing all they can to stamp out any sign of Christianity in this country.They do however sympathize and promote secular humanism,athiesm,Islam,devient behavior,and criminal behavior.People who are willing to tolerate and promote this filthy garbage make me want to puke.They call themselves tolerant and liberal but if you have a different view from them they will shout you down and persecute you.Frankly I think we have turned the other cheek enough,it is time to stick up for our beliefs and insist that we Christians have our rights too.When we see sin we ought to call it sin.

15. billwald

billwald New Member

Google "half-way covenant" to see how long the new world remained a Christian outfit.