1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is There a difference between practicing Homosexuality and celibete?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JesusFan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say what you want; I'm echoing scripture. You know, that verse that says something about the heart being desperately wicked; who can know it?

Unless you're trying to say that no one's *ever* pulled the wool over your eyes, in which case, good for you. Me, I've seen a lot of people who make wonderful "first impressions," and even second ones; and then saw people later shake their heads and ask, "we never would have guessed that about him/her."

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seriously? You quote this:
    and somehow think they won't lie when you ask them?

I'm sorry to say, you have more faith in the honesty of those battling sin than I apparently do. I would classify you as "idealistic" rather than "realistic."

I believe the point that Aaron was trying to make when he referred to me as being "all wet" is that you can hold a probationary period, and watch a proposed candidate (very carefully; watch where his/her eyes go, pay close attention to "little remarks," etc.), and be able to make a reasonably sound judgment about them. But to imply that simply asking someone who wants a position, and expect them to be 100% honest to you, another human...well, as scripture tells us, only God really knows our hearts.

For further clarification: I'm not saying don't ask that question; I'm saying, be realistic in your expectations when you do ask that question.

3. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Do you deny that the bible c;early teaches that once saved by the grace of the Lord, that it is still possible for a genuine believer to face temptation, perhaps evn 'fall into' sinning for a season?

or do you deny the Apostle John when he says that IF Chistians say that they no longer sin, are liars, but IF they sin, can confess to the Lord and br restored cleansed from ALL unrightousness?

Do you deny that the Bible teaches through paul also that SOME of us Once were "fill in the blank" but now are saved by the Cross of Christ, and therefore NO condemnation, for IF God is for us, who can be against us?

What do you think God meant in all of these verses?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

"Do you deny that the bible c;early teaches that once saved by the grace of the Lord, that it is still possible for a genuine believer to face temptation, perhaps evn 'fall into' sinning for a season?"

Face temptation, yes, fall into sinning for a season, no.
    Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.

"or do you deny the Apostle John when he says that IF Chistians say that they no longer sin, are liars, but IF they sin, can confess to the Lord and br restored cleansed from ALL unrightousness?"

John did not says that. You are as usual twisting scripture. Christians has no need for restoration. We are already cleansed and We are complete in Christ

5. JesusFan

So you ARE saying thata real believer can be tempted, but will never submit to it?

So the Church has misunderstood/misread the Apostle John all this time?

6. mandym

mandym New Member

There is nothing biblical about this. Our salvation is a future promise not a current reality. Our redemption is a future event not a current experience.( 1 Peter 1;3-5) God sees that the age for our sin has been paid but that does not make us pure. (Romans 6:23)

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God:

Study your Greek. Present tense continual action. We are currently saved, being saved, and will be saved. It is a current reality without all the eternal experiences.

8. JesusFan

Still trying to see why blameless before men would refer to one having NO sin issues dealt in the past, nor having any sin issues now?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Keep searching you will see, IF you stop twisting what people say as well as scripture to hold onto your false understandings. You will have to want truth more then personal belief.

10. JesusFan

I keep asking you to define what your meanings are in those verses of the Apostle John, and IF you hold that one cannot commit any sins, or have any sin area issues after really getting saved?

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you saw what was in one's heart.

12. mandym

mandym New Member

obviously you need to go back read that again.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No; I saw a lot of external behavior that prOvided an impression; and later saw external exhibitions when we found out what the person was really like.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: IOW, you saw his heart.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tongue3: No, we saw what he wanted us to see. It was only later, after the heartache and misery, that we learned what was truly in his heart. I know what you're trying to say; but keep it in the context of what freeatlast was proposing: knowing another's heart before hiring them for or allowing them to fulfill a position.

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Yes you can know a persons heart by how they live.
    For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then explain how Dahmer's neighbors never suspected him of a thing. Explain how catholic priests abuse children and no one knows until the now-grown men come forward to implicate them. Explain how a guy can cheat on his wife, and his closest friends be utterly surprised at his behavior. Explain how pastors of any denomination can do despicable acts, and have members of their churches make comments like "he'd never do anything like that."

The reality of this sinful, fleshly world does not match your idealism.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Just Believe what the passage says.
    For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies

19. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In many areas of our bigger cities "neighbors" don't exist as many of us who live in more rural areas come to know our neighbors. Perhaps where Dahmer lived no one knew anyone else in the building.

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're completely ignoring the point--as well as ignoring scripture. Your contention is that before allowing someone to fill a position in a church, you can simply ask them what sins they're struggling with; and you support that position with the verse you mention above.

I counter your position with the fact that the same bible that gives us the verse you referenced also tells us that the heart is desperately wicked; who can know it? And thus, someone who is willing to hide their sin, but for whatever reason wants a position in the church--whether it be to gain access to funds, or gain access to young children or young ladies, or maybe they just suffer from a pride and/or vanity problem--may be willing to lie to you about their hidden sin, to the point of leading a life that appears blameless, and you won't be able to prevent it because you don't know what's in someone else's heart until after they act on what's truly in their hearts.

Thus, your position that we can know their hearts before we put them in the position is incorrect.

And the biggest scriptural proof that you're incorrect? How long did Judas live with 11 other apostles--including Peter and John, authors of books of scripture--and they had no clue he would go the way he did?

#60 Don, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011