1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is there a difference between unsubmissiveness and feminism?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by SaggyWoman, Oct 27, 2004.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

You make the call!

2. joyfulkeeperathome

joyfulkeeperathome New Member

I believe that they are often related, but not always. Before I realized that I was to practice Biblical submission, I would not have called myself a feminist and yet I bought into many of the lies of feminism (a woman has to work to get her self-worth, children are a burden, men have to help with the housework, etc, etc.) So, for me I know that when I started practicing biblical submission, the feminist lies were exposed for what they were and I was free from such thinking!!!

HTH

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They're both very general and broad, and subject to very wide interpretations. Unsubmissiveness is often, imo, related to unloving. That is, a spouse who resists the call to submit is often dealing with a spouse who is resisting the call to love.

Now as for feminism, again, it's a very broad term. If one views feminism as the right of women to be treated equally as man, then I'm a feminist. If one views feminism as a women being the same as men, then I'm not. Being equal does not mean being the same.

4. Elnora

Elnora New Member

It is being self serving, What I know of them, most hate men, don't value them and think they are not needed. They value themselves before anyone. Thus abortion, it's my body, and I worship it to the point I will abort the child that dare invade it. Don't need men but if they want children will use his seed for artificial insemination. In short they set themselves up as a god to worship. Some believe all these things and others don't. In any case, they need Jesus as all of us did.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm not a feminist at all. I don't think women can do anything as well as men. Which means men should always do the dishes and housework since they can mop more dirt off the floor and not use as much energy scrubbing pots and pans. We should simply be expected to sit around and look pretty, and shop of course, it's all we're good at. I guess I'll try my best to settle for the first man that agrees with that, but it might be really hard, but I'll do it! :D ;)
    Gina

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Can a feminist be submissive?

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Define feminist please.
    Gina

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Good question. As I pointed out in my earlier post, it's a rather broad term, often miscontextualized. If one views feminism as the right of women to be treated equally as man, then I'm a feminist. If one views feminism as a women being the same as men, then I'm not. Being equal does not mean being the same.

As far as a feminist being able to be submissive, if one believes that men and women should be given equal rights, then yes, a feminist can be submissive.

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Even a feminist can be submissive in a job situation, I would think.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't know how "I" would define feminist.

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Is this helpful at all? Saves us the bother!

a : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes b : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests; specifically : the 19th and 20th century movement seeking to remove restrictions that discriminate against women

"feminism." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (28 Oct. 2004).

'unsubmissiveness and feminism'
    I feel as if a statement is being made about woman being in subjection to the male. This I find to be unscriptural.
    Submission comes from love and is not subjection but cooperation.
    Both partners are expected to submit to one another in love and out of reverance to Christ.
    I don't think feminism should be associated with the strident men haters, that is just man hate not feminism.
    It is a good struggle that the men haters helped move up the agenda.
    It maybe that 'feminism' has been attached to the uppity women to give the movement a bad name.

Just as long as you lot keep having the babies and don't insist we have a go then I'm all for you sitting looking pretty. I've been in a role reversal for 6 years now and I find sitting around all day to be the best way of spending my time, with my son. (Not looking pretty though!)
    She earns the money I spend! Great ain't it? :cool:

johnp.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

unsubmissiveness = disobedience, noncompliance [​IMG]

feminism = the attempt to become 'equal' with men. :rolleyes:

feminism, movement for the political, social, and educational equality of women with men; the movement has occurred mainly in Europe and the United States.

13. Elnora

Elnora New Member

johnp,

Sorry, I only wote about what came to mind when ask about feminist. I am only talking my experience. It is limited. I only meant the ones I know, hate men. As for the "submission". Good to see that you have a grasp of the scriptures in that regard.

[​IMG]

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Actually, I agree with this, so long as one can discern between "equality" and "sameness". Women should be given every opportunity equal to men. But that does not mean they should be treated like men. I'm all for separate men's and women's rooms, and don't have a problem with stdaiums that have more ladies facilities than men's. OTOH, I want a men's lounge at work. [​IMG]

Anyhoo, getting back to point 1, many are unable (or unwilling) to discern between "women are equal" and "women are the same".

15. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

Equal = the same as in size, amount, value.

To say that you are trying to be eqaul with somthing is saying that you are trying to be the same as it. are men the same as women? No.

P.S if you don't believe my definition of the word equal is true look it up in you dictionary.

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I disagree. Men and women in this country should have equal rights to each other in all aspects. That doesn't mean that separate restroom facilities are a bad thing. But why is it that it was not until the mid 90's that most malls and theme parks began installing baby changing stations in men's rooms?

17. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

I am sorry if I misled you to think i was saying Men and Women should not have equal rights. but that was not what I meant what i meant was Men and Women arent the same.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Uhhh, I think that's what I said already. Being equal does not mean being the same.

19. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I disagree. Men and women in this country should have equal rights to each other in all aspects. That doesn't mean that separate restroom facilities are a bad thing. But why is it that it was not until the mid 90's that most malls and theme parks began installing baby changing stations in men's rooms? </font>[/QUOTE]John I agree, why can't I be equal with God. Why does He get to make all the rules and set up authorities? Why does the government get to make all the laws, I want to be equal with them, make some laws of my own. And why does the President get to make war, I should be equal to him and get to do the same. Throw in a couple of limo's and some secret service guys too. We should all be equal in everything, due away with all authority!
    We are all equal thank goodness in God's eyes for salvation.

Tim

20. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Because He's God, we aren't.